"FOOD" for thought

mommy2taylor

Earning My Ears
With all the talk of anticipated free dining late August to early September, I see so many people are booking reservations "hoping" for free dining. Has anyone considered that maybe Disney would decide not to offer free dining, because they already have enough rooms booked?

This is my thought, and why I haven't booked until they announce it. If they do announce FD I hope I get my choice of resort.

Stephanie

I agree..I still think Disney will offer free dining, maybe with restrictions on certain resorts or resort categories( like no value resorts or something)Who knows? :confused3 I am already booked but I am not going to use the free dining anyway( my discount saves me more money):goodvibes

With all the talk of anticipated free dining late August to early September, I see so many people are booking reservations "hoping" for free dining. Has anyone considered that maybe Disney would decide not to offer free dining, because they already have enough rooms booked?

I absolutely agree. I've always posted this same thought, though most people will not pay any mind to it. It's the same thing as things going on sale at a store. If there are no more items, no reason for a sale, but if no one is buying them, mark them down.

However, there are some folks who have luckily applied the discount to their current reservations, but what they don't realize is it's because there is availability at that resort and it's easy to do, but if a resort appears near full, that resort will not have any discounts. For example right now for the current spring AP rates, there are hardly any discounts available at the Poly, but yet everyone wants to apply a discount to their reservations, most are going to get stuck with rack rate. Probably the worse ones are the ones who book with no intention of paying rack rate. I say, book what you can afford to pay at rack rate, then upgrade if possible to a discounted room.

I absolutely agree. I've always posted this same thought, though most people will not pay any mind to it. It's the same thing as things going on sale at a store. If there are no more items, no reason for a sale, but if no one is buying them, mark them down.

However, there are some folks who have luckily applied the discount to their current reservations, but what they don't realize is it's because there is availability at that resort and it's easy to do, but if a resort appears near full, that resort will not have any discounts. For example right now for the current spring AP rates, there are hardly any discounts available at the Poly, but yet everyone wants to apply a discount to their reservations, most are going to get stuck with rack rate. Probably the worse ones are the ones who book with no intention of paying rack rate. I say, book what you can afford to pay at rack rate, then upgrade if possible to a discounted room.
DITTO!

I Probably the worse ones are the ones who book with no intention of paying rack rate. I say, book what you can afford to pay at rack rate, then upgrade if possible to a discounted room.

Why is this bad??? I would NEVER, EVER pay the rack rate.

Why is this bad??? I would NEVER, EVER pay the rack rate.

Then why would you even book a resort that you have no intention of keeping unless it's discounted? That makes no sense. If everyone did that, the resort would appear full, then no one would get a discount because there would be no need to discount a resort that is at capacity. I agree, I would never pay rack rate either unless there were no options (no discounts during that timeframe), therefore I would never book a room in the hopes of a discount only to be disappointed if you had to cancel--what a bummer to start your trip on a negative note. Wouldn't it be better to book a room that you're happy with even when no discount appears? Then imagine how excited you are when you can book the next level up at the same price!

I agree completely. I too am waiting for "free Dining" to be offered and when I see post after post of those who have already booked I get depressed. Why should Disney offer discounts if the hotels are already are almost booked up? OK, they plan to cancel if free dining is not offered - That leaves everyone with no discount.

Wouldn't it be better to book a room that you're happy with even when no discount appears? Then imagine how excited you are when you can book the next level up at the same price!

This is exctly what I do - we always book AKL standard view. If a discount comes out that we can apply to a pool or savannah room, great. If not, I keep what I have. I never rely on any discount because you just never know what the restrictions/dates/amounts will be.

I agree completely. I too am waiting for "free Dining" to be offered and when I see post after post of those who have already booked I get depressed. Why should Disney offer discounts if the hotels are already are almost booked up? OK, they plan to cancel if free dining is not offered - That leaves everyone with no discount.

I already booked during the free dining period (if it happens) because I got 30% off at POFQ ($104 per night). I happened to be at WDW for one day (two nights) and took advantage of the "Book You Next Reservation During Your Stay" offer.

I already booked during the free dining period (if it happens) because I got 30% off at POFQ ($104 per night). I happened to be at WDW for one day (two nights) and took advantage of the "Book You Next Reservation During Your Stay" offer.
Yes but you would have to give up your 30% off discount to get the free dining.I have booked as well 30% thru AAA at bcv for Sept so no free dining for me either...:goodvibes

I totally agree. Right now, I am booked as a room only at POR this Aug 24-30 with a AAA discount. I would LOVE to do Contemporary to be on the monorail, but the only way I can swing that is free dining. I would feel wrong booking Contemporary now, since I can't afford rack rate (or even 20% off there) if I know I have to pay for food during my stay. If I am getting all my food free, I can pay more for my resort..THEN I can do Contemporary. But right now all I can afford is POR, so that's what I book. I know I am going no matter what, what may change is my resort (fingers crossed for some pixie dust to help me afford Contemporary!!!!!)

We had this same discussion last year and they still offered the free dining. So No, I don't think it will affect their decision in the slightest. Also, the rooms aren't as full as all that. I am able to book WHATEVER room I want at the resorts right now. This time last year there were hotels that were already booked up.

I absolutely agree. And add to that the popularity of last year's bounceback promotion - you really have to wonder what their occupancy rates already are for September.

I had booked the free dining bounceback promotion last year and had to make changes a few weeks ago. When I was on the phone with the CM, she was telling me it was more popular than they had anticipated and they had a lot of bookings from it.

I am very confused about all of this. I want to book a trip for Sept. 17-22 at either Poly or BC. I won't pay rack rate, so if no other discounts are available, I'll use AAA either for the whole pkg. or for room only. The only thing is, if I want to do the pkg I have to do it through an AAA TA and it is separate from Disney (I did this last year). What if free dining comes out? Am I excluded from that? I'd do a room only with AAA and buy PH elsewhere for cheaper, but we do like the dining plan. And what about the rumors that you can now book DDP without a ticket??? As I said I'm very confused and not sure what to do!!!!:confused3

I am very confused about all of this. I want to book a trip for Sept. 17-22 at either Poly or BC. I won't pay rack rate, so if no other discounts are available, I'll use AAA either for the whole pkg. or for room only. The only thing is, if I want to do the pkg I have to do it through an AAA TA and it is separate from Disney (I did this last year). What if free dining comes out? Am I excluded from that? I'd do a room only with AAA and buy PH elsewhere for cheaper, but we do like the dining plan. And what about the rumors that you can now book DDP without a ticket??? As I said I'm very confused and not sure what to do!!!!:confused3

You can't do a AAA discount and a free meal plan, so if free dining happens you have to pick your best discount. The thing with AAA rooms though- they book up, so I don't know if I would wait till April to book. I tried to do contemporary and the AAA rooms were already booked, but I was able to get POR.

We will go regardless of free dining or not, so we went ahead and booked. I am still crossing my fingers for free dining though!!

If free dining comes out, your AAA agent can apply the cheapest discount for you (you'd have to choose between the room discount and the free dining, no "double stacking"). The only problem with booking through AAA is that the agents don't work all the time; mine can't be reached at 7am on a Saturday, for example, so if a new, better discount becomes available, I don't have control to make that call myself at the earliest possible time. This might mean that I miss an opportunity at my first choice resort. But it can be done through them, you would not be excluded.

I would not panic because "people are booking"

Something tells me that Disney has been tracking this for YEARS now. They probably have a good idea of how many switch to Free Dining when it's offered and based on history of how many might cancel if it's not.

That said while I read "lots" of "I will cancel if I don't get Free Dining" I would think the percentage is NOT as high as folks might want to believe. I would bet at least 50% still go since they have thier hearts set on this trip to Disney......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter