Flying into LAX

JanetRose

...what was the meaning of the big white glove?
I could get a fare that is over $100 cheaper if I fly into LAX instead of John Wayne Airport. I don't care if I have to leave somewhat earlier to fly back as I will be traveling by myself. How bad do you think the traffic will be if I'm leaving Disneyland the day prior to Thanksgiving to return back home?

Thanks.

Anywhere from horrible to ghastly. That's the busiest airline travel day of the year. It will be a little easier traveling by yourself, but be prepared for LONG lines for baggage check-in and security. Both airports will be busy. Can you use Long Beach? It's smaller and probably a little easier to handle on the day before Thanksgiving. Good luck!

Any airport will be awful the day before Thanksgiving. I'd leave the morning of Thanksgiving if I could.. It is up to you.. But plan about 3 plus hours to check in.. The drive is about an hour from DL to LAX..

I also wanted to travel on a day that I would most likely get bumped for a travel voucher.

I shuddered when I read your post :) Not only will traffic be a nightmare, but the airport will be a zoo. LAX is a busy airport on a good day, and for obvious reasons security there can be, and is, a more lengthy affair. You may sit there for hours and possibly get bumped without a voucher if your destination city is say O'Hare, LaGuardia etc.
It's worth the $100 to preserve your sanity.
Sometimes you can get free travel vouchers by opening an airline credit card.
Seems easier :)

Not necessarily. John Wayne will probably be better because it's a smaller airport, but it will still be a zoo. It's a really tough day to travel anywhere in the LA area because so many people take advantage of the long weekend. Lots of people leave to visit family for Thanksgiving and lots of people just escape for a mini vacation because they have the time off work. Driving can be just as bad. I once foolishly left San Diego on the afternoon before Thanksgiving. My 2 hour drive became an over-4 hour drive just due to traffic (no accidents or bad weather causes). I have heard stories from friends that Thanksgiving day travel is quite easy - and sometimes comes at a discount.

Long Beach & John Wayne would be definitely better because:

: The drive from DL to LB/JW is much shorter. Less hassle w/traffic
: JW has more security lines now. You'll move thru faster.
: LB is so small that security won't be the never ending nightmare LAX can be.

All of these reasons add up to less time on the freeways and in lines and more time for Disney ;)

Is there anyway you'd consider flying back on Thanksgiving? It's a much better day to fly.

If you are a pretty savy traveller then you shouldn't be too horrified by LAX. I travel a lot and yes LAX is busy but not any worse than any other major metropolitan airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter