Flying Delta - How likley will we be able to sit together

allysetraskos

Allyse Grant
Family of 5 flying down, I don't really want to dish out the extra money each way to upgrade from Basic Economy to Main Cabin... I don't know if this is my only option or just a scare tatic to get more money out of people.
I'm flying with my husband, 1, 6 & 8 Year old... How accommodating will they be to help us sit together? Would we need to check in really early? It makes me nervous that the kids could be sitting all over the plane.

We fly a lot and often on delta. Have you already tried to change your seats without upgrading? If you can, try to at least get seats in rows in front of / behind each other. Often, people in those seats on the plane will just switch with you once you get on the flight.

Delta usually does a very good job of trying to accommodate seat changes for families but on flights where it's very full, you may have to wait and check at the gate (an hour before flight time). Worst case, the flight attendants can help you change around seats with people once you are actually on the plane. It happens all the time.

Have you already tried to change your seats without upgrading?

They don't have any seats at this point.

"Main Cabin seat assignments after check-in" is part of Basic Economy.

OP since you're going with this, there's no point in worrying. Not sure if you get to check in online with this, but if you do get to, do so as soon as you can. Get to the airport EARLY. Make sure the kids understand the possibilities, and make sure they have lots of things to do in their underseat carryons, just in case.

Family of 5 flying down, I don't really want to dish out the extra money each way to upgrade from Basic Economy to Main Cabin... I don't know if this is my only option or just a scare tactic to get more money out of people.
I'm flying with my husband, 1, 6 & 8 Year old... How accommodating will they be to help us sit together? Would we need to check in really early? It makes me nervous that the kids could be sitting all over the plane.
I would never select Basic Economy if I wanted to sit with someone. You may get lucky, but most flights are pretty full with the random middle seat here and there. Sometimes there are pairs of seats on a few rows. Not sure what you are hoping for them to do? Move people who paid for main cabin?
I agree with getting to the airport early and making sure the kids have something to do available in their under the seat carryons.

Last edited:
Family of 5 flying down, I don't really want to dish out the extra money each way to upgrade from Basic Economy to Main Cabin... I don't know if this is my only option or just a scare tatic to get more money out of people.
I wouldn't call it a "scare tactic", I would call it insurance. If you want to be assured of sitting together you would either need to book early to choose seats *or* upgrade. The reason for the economy is to give the discount for passengers who don't care so that they may fill in the spaces.

I would prepare the kids for the situation...the 6 & 8 will be fine sitting alone, if need be. You will not be far away no matter where you are placed. Otherwise, I would get to the airport early, check in as soon as you can, etc. so you can at least get to a seat with the 1 year old.

You are choosing tickets knowing that you cannot choose seats. If sitting with your family it important to you, then choose the tickets that let accomplish your goals. I would not rely on the kindness of strangers to take care of a problem that you could solve yourself. You don't know why people choose and pay for the seat they choose. I also would not rely on flight attendants to assist you getting seats together if you end up separated.

I don't buy basic economy on Delta even when I'm flying alone because I want to select my seat. And, if I'm paying more to choose an aisle or window seat, which is what most singles choose, please don't expect us to give up our seats so we can sit in a middle seat and allow your family to take our more expensive seats. On a Delta flight from Orlando to Detroit last summer, a mom had three kids with her. A lap baby and two older children. Lana was about 6 years old and she sat between me and another woman. The mom didn't ask for us to move -- she just told us where she was seated and to let her know if there were problems. Lana had a little backpack of toys and I taught her how to use the in-flight entertainment. She was a delight and we had a lovely trip. She was clearly prepared for this possibility.

All flights to and from Orlando have families on them. It is best to buy what you want in terms of tickets. If you can live with having your children seated with others, basic economy is not a bad way to go. If it's going to stress you out, that's a different story.

And, a shout-out to @disneyfam31 -- a fellow Spartan! How cool about Denzel, right!?

Based on your post I would assume that you are taking a direct flight? Depending on where you are coming from and when you are going will likely influence the number and type of travelers on your flight (business vs. leisure). Husband and I fly all the time and Basic Economy is essentially a gamble on how full the flight is going to be. Make sure that you are all on the same reservation (I would assume this is the case based on who you are flying with)

First and foremost if you are going to risk basic economy make sure you check in online at your 24 hour window - if you can select seats then this would give you the best chance of getting seats together. Again this all depends on how full the flight is with elite status and/or have paid for seat assignment. If you aren't able to book seats together then it's worth talking to the gate agent but at that point you are likely either going to be paying to upgrade or will have to rely on the kindness of strangers to switch seats. The gate agents won't be jerks about it but neither will they move someone else so you can sit together.

At the end of the day it boils down to how comfortable you are not sitting together - a block of 5 seats together at the time of booking seems unlikely (Does your 1 have their own seat or are they flying in lap?), and depending on the distance of your flight people are probably going to be more attached to their aisle and window that they may have paid for.

Bad idea. You will end up sitting all over the plane in middle seats. We fly Delta alot -- and we spring for seats where we can choose to sit together.

Based on your post I would assume that you are taking a direct flight? Depending on where you are coming from and when you are going will likely influence the number and type of travelers on your flight (business vs. leisure). Husband and I fly all the time and Basic Economy is essentially a gamble on how full the flight is going to be. Make sure that you are all on the same reservation (I would assume this is the case based on who you are flying with)

First and foremost if you are going to risk basic economy make sure you check in online at your 24 hour window - if you can select seats then this would give you the best chance of getting seats together. Again this all depends on how full the flight is with elite status and/or have paid for seat assignment. If you aren't able to book seats together then it's worth talking to the gate agent but at that point you are likely either going to be paying to upgrade or will have to rely on the kindness of strangers to switch seats. The gate agents won't be jerks about it but neither will they move someone else so you can sit together.

At the end of the day it boils down to how comfortable you are not sitting together - a block of 5 seats together at the time of booking seems unlikely (Does your 1 have their own seat or are they flying in lap?), and depending on the distance of your flight people are probably going to be more attached to their aisle and window that they may have paid for.

The way I understand it, you don't select your seats at 24 hours with basic economy. When you check-in, they are assigned for you. I don't know if the computer automatically assigns seats to everyone without seats, I'm not sure if there is a priority if you go in right at 24 hours. There was a post a couple of weeks ago, it was the poster and her husband. They were not given seats together but when they got to the airport, the gate agent was able to get them together. 5 is going to be more difficult, the best might be 3 and 2.

When you check-in, they are assigned for you.

If that is the case I would still advocate making sure you check in at the 24 hour mark to get the best chance AND make sure it's one reservation otherwise they would have no idea you want to sit together.

I don't know how much getting a seat is but it would likely save you a ton of stress so I would advocate for it.

Delta is very upfront about Basic Economy.
"If you’re looking for a low fare, your travel plans aren’t likely to change, and you don’t mind where you sit, Basic Economy just may be your ticket."....."This fare option includes no ticket changes, Main Cabin seat assignments after check-in, pending availability and limited Medallion® benefits."

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en...oard-experience/main-cabin/basic-economy.html

No way would I buy that type of tickets if I had to sit next to my travel partners. How do you think they are going to accommodate you sitting together when you didn't pay to? Are you really expecting them to move people around who paid for their seats?????

How are you kids going to handle it if they have to sit away from you, maybe in between 2 strangers? There is saving money, and then there is being cheap.

If that is the case I would still advocate making sure you check in at the 24 hour mark to get the best chance AND make sure it's one reservation otherwise they would have no idea you want to sit together.

I don't know how much getting a seat is but it would likely save you a ton of stress so I would advocate for it.

You don't have the option of buying a seat assignment with a basic economy ticket. It cannot be upgraded either. So other than buying whole new tickets, it's a gamble.

I would strongly consider booking one parent and the 6 year old in Main Cabin so that you can choose seats together, assuming the baby is sitting on a parent's lap. Then, I would prep the 8 year old on how to act sitting between two strangers. I don't think all of the seats need to be upgraded, if you have a normal 8 year old who has flown before.

The other thing you could do is look at some flights going out in the next few days and see how full they are. Some flights are routinely overbooked while others routinely have a few open seats.

We like to sit together, therefore pay to choose our seats.
Spring the extra money to be with your kids and enjoy the flight together.

You will most likely be separated and in middle seats all over the plane. I paid extra for my seat so DH and I can sit together. No way am I giving up my seat to a family who was too cheap to pay to sit together.

I do fly basic economy if traveling by myself.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter