Flight Time

Which flight?

• Total voters

CalSea12

Desperately needs a dose of the magic!
I am not sure if this is the best place to post this question... but needed some advice.

Me and my DD (5) will be heading to WDW July 4-13, and we have two options for flights. The flight I have a question on is the July 4th flight going to WDW. The options are:

1. 6:40 AM to 4:15PM but it costs $50 more dollars or

2. 2:10 PM to 11:35 PM

Obviously option 2 would have us in 7 hours later... is that 7 hours worth $50 extra on July 4th? I do not think we would head into a park unless its just to watch fireworks.

Anyways which would you pick and why?

It's your money. Really, only you can determine the value, but there are places outside the parks to see the fireworks.

I voted for option 2. Of course I was absent the day they handed out the "Rah Rah Patriotism" genes, so it's just another day to me, so there's that.

We would spend the $50. We always try to get s much time there as possible. We had one am trip that was delayed about 5 hours so we lost 1/2 a day. If we had left later we would have lost an entire day (flights were that backed up). That particular trip was 4th of July and we really liked the fireworks!

Having traveled on long flights with a 5 year old, I'd take the first option even if it's more money. Getting in really late at night will have a ripple effect the next day. Yes, getting up super early is hard but you'll likely be in your room by 6pm or so and able to get a decent night's sleep after arrival, versus arriving after midnight. There are also fewer possible delays first thing in the morning since the flight probably originates at your airport. I always try to fly out the first thing if I can so that reason.

My question is, what time do you need to leave your house to make that 6:15 am flight? And, two, what is your child's typical sleep schedule. I would pick the flight that will disrupt your regular schedule the least. I, personally, would not be planning on staying up to see July 4 fireworks inside a jam-packed park after leaving my home on a 6:15 am flight. Where are you staying?

If there’s a choice, I would take the earlier flight. Last summer my DD and I were on a flight that was supposed to arrive around 11pm. First our flight had weather related delays (thunderstorms bad enough to close the Denver airport). When we finally boarded our flight, we ended up sitting in a very long line for takeoff. By the time our plane made it to the front of the line and was cleared for takeoff, our plane had to turn around and go back to the gate because the crew in the flight deck would have timed out at some point during the flight. Luckily the airline was United, and they have a Denver hub so were able to call in reserve pilots to take our flight (If they hadn’t had this option, our flight would have been cancelled altogether). They took us all off the plane, and we had to wait in the airport for the reserve crew to arrive, By the time we finally made it to Orlando, it was 4am, and the sun was rising as we finally went to bed. We were beyond exhausted. Since that nightmare, if we have a choice, I always go for the earlier flight. Things like that don’t happen often, but I‘d prefer not taking chances!

I would take the earlier flight if the money isn’t a deal breaker. What if your later flight was delayed? That could make for a long night.
This is actually a really good point that I hadn't even thought of... it helps a lot... ty!

If there’s a choice, I would take the earlier flight. Last summer my DD and I were on a flight that was supposed to arrive around 11pm. First our flight had weather related delays (thunderstorms bad enough to close the Denver airport). When we finally boarded our flight, we ended up sitting in a very long line for takeoff. By the time our plane made it to the front of the line and was cleared for takeoff, our plane had to turn around and go back to the gate because the crew in the flight deck would have timed out at some point during the flight. Luckily the airline was United, and they have a Denver hub so were able to call in reserve pilots to take our flight (If they hadn’t had this option, our flight would have been cancelled altogether). They took us all off the plane, and we had to wait in the airport for the reserve crew to arrive, By the time we finally made it to Orlando, it was 4am, and the sun was rising as we finally went to bed. We were beyond exhausted. Since that nightmare, if we have a choice, I always go for the earlier flight. Things like that don’t happen often, but I‘d prefer not taking chances!
This sounds awful! Like many others posted for some reason I didn't think of delays and that right there is the best reason to not take the later flight.

Thank you to all those who have voted and advised... I went ahead and picked the early flight. I really dont feel like getting into the hotel at 2am or later.

Thank you to all those who have voted and advised... I went ahead and picked the early flight. I really dont feel like getting into the hotel at 2am or later.

We have routinely been taking flights to MCO that are supposed to arrive at 11:35 pm but none has been on time. We've got to our hotel anywhere from 1:30 am to 3:30 am. But we're prepared for that and accept that this is likely to happen. We always plan to sleep in until 9:30 am or so and do a very leisurely morning and have no breakfast planned. But if I had children, I'd probably not do this flight though I see a lot on board. I guess parents are hoping that they'll sleep on the plane but they are usually too excited. I'd hate to see them the next morning.

I’m glad you made that choice! I’m only a short 2 hour flight away, and have taken many flights so early that it’s still dark out when we get to our airport. I don’t mind getting up early, but getting into to MCO late is just more exhausting to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter