Flight refund if flights are still going?

amystevekai&bump

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

We were due to fly to Honolulu on 1st August from Seattle with Delta, and on to Dallas with American on 12th August.

I say, ‘were due’, because our flights to and from the US mainland from the UK have already been cancelled by British Airways and so we cannot travel. I have already, sadly and with lots of tears, cancelled our Aulani stay, but as we don’t fly from Seattle until August 1st, I’ve been waiting to see if the quarantine restrictions in Hawaii get extended past 31st July.

However, I’ve just seen that my American Airlines flight is still continuing to fly (and is In fact mid air right now!) - not sure about delta as I think my flight times are particular to August - so now I’m worried that if the airlines are flying, even if the quarantine rules are still in place, does that mean I won’t be able to get a refund, as my plane is still flying?

Due to the worry of a second wave, and the stress this cancellation has already caused (and I’ve still got the majority of it still to tackle once we get closer to my supposed travel dates!), we’ve already decided we won’t plan such an elaborate trip next year, and will also hold off on 2022 until we know (hopefully!) that this virus has disappeared altogether. So I really don’t want to accept a travel voucher if I can help of it, as for us it’s a lot of money tied up that we may or may not be able to use 😢

many thanks for any advice, particularly if you have experience with Delta/American flights 👍

Did you book all the flights, as one booking with BA? If so, you should be able to claim a full refund from BA as soon as the first segment was cancelled.

No sadly not - direct with each airline - wish I had as BA have been amazing at refunds!

Unfortunately, that is likely going to make getting a refund on the AA flights more difficult. They can argue, that it isn't their problem that you cannot get to the US to start the flight - they are willing and able to transport you. It's a warning that is often given when people book separate tickets (the warning, of course, is not generally about a worldwide pandemic, just a general "if something happens to one flight/one set of fights, the other airline is under no obligation to help you). I would try contacting AA and Delta and see if they are willing to help you out. Good luck.

Can I just check - if my only option ends up being a voucher - can I use the voucher for flights elsewhere or just that specific route?

(just thinking we are still hoping to do the Texas leg of our trip next summer, so perhaps we could use the vouchers for flights from UK to Texas instead? - we’ve decided to hold off on Hawaii, as with what’s happening re quarantine etc this year, I would worry too much about booking Hawaii again so soon 😢)

I‘m in a similar situation in October, coming from Germany. Sadly I booked Hawaiian air first class where even a voucher would be useless to me for the foreseeable future. Like you, planning nothing for 2021.
It was going to be a once in a lifetime trip for my nephew. I’ve been to Hawaii twice. So I’d be stuck with lots of airline vouchers that I couldn’t use as a solo Traveller.
Good luck!

I‘m in a similar situation in October, coming from Germany. Sadly I booked Hawaiian air first class where even a voucher would be useless to me for the foreseeable future. Like you, planning nothing for 2021.
It was going to be a once in a lifetime trip for my nephew. I’ve been to Hawaii twice. So I’d be stuck with lots of airline vouchers that I couldn’t use as a solo Traveller.
Good luck!
I’m sorry to read this - it’s really rubbish isn’t it? 😢

good luck to you too 👍

Can I just check - if my only option ends up being a voucher - can I use the voucher for flights elsewhere or just that specific route?

(just thinking we are still hoping to do the Texas leg of our trip next summer, so perhaps we could use the vouchers for flights from UK to Texas instead? - we’ve decided to hold off on Hawaii, as with what’s happening re quarantine etc this year, I would worry too much about booking Hawaii again so soon 😢)
Usually the vouchers can be used on any new flight. It’s like a credit you use when paying for a flight.

It’s really rubbish, yes. On top of everything, I rented DVC points privately.
But at the end those are only luxury problems as I call them 🤣.
I’ve been in quarantine stuck since 3 months Inside my workplace and really need something to look forward to. Meanwhile I booked an AbD New Zealand for 2022.

Just throwing it out there, but have you considered alternate destinations for the same timeframe in August if you are unable to get a refund and don't think you'll use the travel credit? It would be relatively easy to fly from Seattle to Southern California for Disneyland/Universal, or even a nice beach resort in the area. There's several airports in that vicinity that both Delta and American would fly in and out of. Alternatively, there's also Florida. If WDW doesn't appeal with the current restrictions, the Gulf coast has some nice beach resorts or even Key West/Miami would be nice since Hawaii would be off the table. Las Vegas has also recently re-opened with no quarantine restrictions to my knowledge. Hope something works out for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter