• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

One thing I forgot to mention was that when I talked to one of the CMs they said they were keeping track of the people that could not ride due to size/shape restrictions. I know this has been discussed on the official Pandora thread but I wanted to add a little food for thought to that whole idea.

With the line for this ride being anywhere from 2 to 4 hours long, I would imagine that most people who might be concerned about fitting in a new ride would seek out a test seat (because people of size usually have this in the back of their mind at some point). This will virtually eliminate the number of people that would not fit from going on the ride at all and therefore eliminate them from being included in this "data collection".

I in no way want to inhibit or endanger another rider's experience but I think it's important that if you try out the test seat and find that you don't fit and can't ride, that you call customer service or email them (WDW.guest.communications@disneyworld.com) because maybe they can add one or two seats that could accommodate people of size or people with larger calves.

Last edited:
I go to disney because it is fat friendly (among other reasons), I get to ride everything. Universal is not fat friendly, I get to see the shows and the less exciting rides. It has always been that way. Now it looks like disney is changing. No longer providing the same experience for everyone regardless of size. Gone are those days apparently.

So now I'm super worried. I'm heavy and my H is tall and lean. We're taking our 5 (will be 6) year old daughter and now I'm terrified people will be making fun of me and she'll hear it. This seriously happens at Disney world?? I'm not going to try the test seats, I'm researching rides ahead of time and will just skip what's not fat friendly. But after reading this thread I'm having visions of people in MK just loudly making fat comments at me. ****. It's making me want to push it back several months or cancel but I have my heart set on taking dd while she's young enough to love princesses and believe in magic. :(

So now I'm super worried. I'm heavy and my H is tall and lean. We're taking our 5 (will be 6) year old daughter and now I'm terrified people will be making fun of me and she'll hear it. This seriously happens at Disney world?? I'm not going to try the test seats, I'm researching rides ahead of time and will just skip what's not fat friendly. But after reading this thread I'm having visions of people in MK just loudly making fat comments at me. Eff. It's making me want to push it back several months or cancel but I have my heart set on taking dd while she's young enough to love princesses and believe in magic. :(
I have been to Disney four times and nobody has ever made fun of me for being overweight and I am huge. I don't think this is really an issue.

Bookgirlinchicago, don't let ignorance of others ruin ur anticipation/visit. Live your own beautiful life!

I'm not sure if this has been covered, but for those that have ridden, on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being awful.. 5 totally doable can u All describe any claustrophobia feelings etc. are you basically locked in, ( legs/chest?) unable to physically move? Is it very restrictive ( like rock' n roller coaster.. that locked in feeling?, kwim?)
( for some reason Soar'n doesn't feel as restrictive ... perhaps because it's Just the seatbelt type)
I realize it may be subjective but I'd appreciate any opinions.
One of my family members has already decided they won't be able to ride :(. I figure we ll just enjoy the entire area and do other ride, have some food/snacks since already got annuals specifically to see Pandora and got a great bounce back. Tia

So now I'm super worried. I'm heavy and my H is tall and lean. We're taking our 5 (will be 6) year old daughter and now I'm terrified people will be making fun of me and she'll hear it. This seriously happens at Disney world?? I'm not going to try the test seats, I'm researching rides ahead of time and will just skip what's not fat friendly. But after reading this thread I'm having visions of people in MK just loudly making fat comments at me. Eff. It's making me want to push it back several months or cancel but I have my heart set on taking dd while she's young enough to love princesses and believe in magic. :(

Please don't NOT go! I am not denying that it happens (it has happened to me on the street) but in the 30+ days I was there last year I never once had someone say something disparaging or give me side-eye. Most people will be too wrapped up in their own vacations to pay you any mind. Disney World is one of the only places I feel totally comfortable being a big BIG nerd!!! Mickey hat, Mickey ears, Mickey shirt, Mickey sunglasses, everything Mickey! If you have any concerns about which rides you may have an issue with please pm me. I am Ursula-shaped and the ONLY ride I can't fit on in all of WDW is FoP. Your daughter will have an amazing trip and so will you!

Out of curiosity, is it less embarrassing to get to the ride load area and be told you have to ride in the "fat seat" than It would be to try the tst seat out front?e

Disney should have placed some stagnate seating in the back. At least people would have been able to see the graphics even if they could not experience the motion aspect. JMHO.

What do you mean by stagnate, because that's a verb - is it an autocorrect of stationary?

Please don't NOT go! I am not denying that it happens (it has happened to me on the street) but in the 30+ days I was there last year I never once had someone say something disparaging or give me side-eye. Most people will be too wrapped up in their own vacations to pay you any mind. Disney World is one of the only places I feel totally comfortable being a big BIG nerd!!! Mickey hat, Mickey ears, Mickey shirt, Mickey sunglasses, everything Mickey! If you have any concerns about which rides you may have an issue with please pm me. I am Ursula-shaped and the ONLY ride I can't fit on in all of WDW is FoP. Your daughter will have an amazing trip and so will you!

Tiffany,
What a lovely post!

2 great E Roosevelt quotes:

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

You must do the things you think you cannot do.

Your post breaks my heart. Please go! People are inherently good, and will not do that! You will have a great time!!!

I have been going to Disney since 2004 at many varying weights. No one has ever said a word to me about it. Honestly, I am not paying attention to other people, just my family. We don't let cranky people, line cutters, etc change our experience. I had read that in my first guide book to be aware but not involved. There was a fist fight in POR pool once when we were swimming. We decided it was time to do something else. I didn't even remember that until I was writing this post.
Before I rode 7D, I was really nervous as there was a thread similar to this one. It was fine for me.

Out of curiosity - have there been any recent studies or data on how many this is impacting now that the land is fully open? I rode twice and did not see anyone not able to fit and I spoke with a number of people who also said there were no issues in their rooms when they rode.

Don't get me wrong, I still there there should be an area in at least one theater with seats that are even more accommodating and potentially for wheel chairs for people that can't transfer can go (maybe those don't move like the other theaters but you can still get some of the experience) - just wondering if perhaps during the previews/testing phases they were able to figure things out and adjust something as, at least anecdotally to what I have seen, seems to be less of an issue than it was during the previews (but not sure if that is reality or not due to small sample size)

We were there this past Sunday. My son is 6'4" and 300 lbs. After seeing this thread before we went I was worried but it worked out. There were two people of size on our side. The CM was great. She worked with both and got them comfortable for the 4.5 minute ride. The key for my son was to arch his back a little and he was able to be secured in. It really was not too difficult. I guess it may depend on the CM. Maybe they have received some additional training since the opening. Please give it a try.

Out of curiosity - have there been any recent studies or data on how many this is impacting now that the land is fully open? I rode twice and did not see anyone not able to fit and I spoke with a number of people who also said there were no issues in their rooms when they rode.

Don't get me wrong, I still there there should be an area in at least one theater with seats that are even more accommodating and potentially for wheel chairs for people that can't transfer can go (maybe those don't move like the other theaters but you can still get some of the experience) - just wondering if perhaps during the previews/testing phases they were able to figure things out and adjust something as, at least anecdotally to what I have seen, seems to be less of an issue than it was during the previews (but not sure if that is reality or not due to small sample size)
We will never get data from Disney, they do not release numbers so any type of numbers will be what people see when they ride which is a very, very low amount to account for anything.
I do agree that what we are HEARING is less people not being able to fit from the previews

I have overheard people complaining/joking about folks in ECVs, particularly if they believe they reason they are in one is because of their weight. If the person is elderly, this generally does not happen, though there is still some complaining about "cutting the line" etc.

I have never, not once, in all of my many visits to WDW, heard a single person make fun of a fat person who was just walking around the parks.

We will never get data from Disney, they do not release numbers so any type of numbers will be what people see when they ride which is a very, very low amount to account for anything.
I do agree that what we are HEARING is less people not being able to fit from the previews

Yeah, "data" is probably the wrong term as I know Disney won't release anything official. I think it is good that is appears to be less of an issue than during the previews - which I also take to mean that preview time was valuable to do these adjustments and something to keep in mind for when other lands are opening in the future and have their previews

I do still think they should look at an alternative for those still impacted (and still wish the river ride didn't require transfer, but that is for another thread)

I do still think they should look at an alternative for those still impacted
I just don't know how they would do that. It couldn't be the same theater because I can guarantee people would get sick. I feel it would require the construction of a new theater with stationary or modified seats, I don't see Disney doing that any time soon, especially as it looks like more and more people are able to ride with a bit of coaching and adjusting on the seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter