• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First trip to Universal--some questions

RuthMolenaar

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

My Dh and I are planning a trip to Universal for our 20th anniversay next May (2005) I know it is a wee bit off, but I like to plan, and save! as early as possible.

We are definately going to stay on site, and are planning around 7-8 days, with a side trip to Sea World and maybe Epcot thrown in . We went to WDW last year with the kids, but kind of rushed through Epcot, DH and I wouldn't mind a more leisurely visit, but it is not yet a requirment.

We are leaning toward staying at the Royal Pacific resort, from the pictures I have seen, it look beautiful. It will be just to two of us, our first vacation alone.

Anyone know of the best route to get the lowest prices? Travel agent? AAA? Lowes card? We have the latter two. As far as I know, neither of our employers offer the Fun Card.

any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ru

When it gets closer to your dates, I would look into the AP. The AP rates are usually the best and since you will be there for a long stay the other AP discounts (such as food and merchandise) would probably be worth it as well. Our rate for RPR for the end of May with the AP discount is $146 for May 30 and $119 for June 1. Be sure to check this board often because there are often deals like 2 years for the price of one APs and the 1/2 price gift certificates for Citywalk dining. The people on this board are great and very helpful. Our upcoming trip will be our longest to Universal but because of these boards will also be our cheapest.

Be sure to check the Entertainment rate as your trip gets closer. You can check AAA and APH on the loewshotels.com website but it appears that you have to call to check the Entertainment rate.

We're staying at RPH for the first time this August. Everyone says it's gorgeous but the rooms are a bit smaller than at the other two resorts with Portofino having the biggest rooms and the quietest atmosphere.

Call 1-800-BEASTAR and ask for whatever discount rates are available for your dates--Fan Club, Entertainment, Annual Pass,etc. The rates for next May will not be out for quite a while though. You can always book your rooms and keep calling for discount rates.

I agree the AP is great for discounts if u are there for a week or more remember other person can have a power pass u still get discounts for everyone with the prefered pass so long as power pass is not in black out dates at time of your trip:jester:

You don't get any discounts with your Loews card, but you do get some other benefits. From what I understand, you don't have to have a card anymore for Fan Club rates. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have found APH rates to be the best on our previous trips. We purchased the 2 years for the price of one 2 Park Preferred passes last year. Great deal and they are offering it again now. Perhaps they will offer it again before your visit.

If it's just the 2 of you I would change over to the PBR and get a room overlooking the water.Call and they will tell you what kind of rooms they have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter