First trip and overwhelmed

Great advice here! Former Disney AP; now Universal AP's - the key difference is SO much easier and more relaxed!

Yes, Express Pass (staying at a Uni Deluxe) is awesome! Everything is walkable, so no need to use transportation (although I love the boats) if you don't want to. I love the in-resort coffee and breakfast options - usually very low lines and a nice start to the day. I also love the proximity if you want to return to your resort mid-day.

Contrary to our Disney planning rituals, we just show up at early entry at Universal (yes, you'll likely want to get one AP; perks are awesome, especially hotel discounts which are already out for December - not sure about January) and ride Hagrids. A good zipped fanny pack is awesome if you need a bag. Study a map and make a loose plan, but with Express Pass you can EASILY do everything in two days, with multiple rides on your favorites. Hagrids is by far one of the coolest rides ever. The immersion of the Harry Potter areas is A++.

Dining - pre-reserving is super easy. We love Toothsome and Mythos. There is also a crepe stand in the newer park that is so, so awesome. We go there every day and have tried every flavor. Again, the pace and ability to relax and not be running from dawn to dusk has been my favorite part. I've also found Cast Member quality to be excellent. Enjoy!!

What do the wands do? I'm so lost 🤣🤣
To justify the wands to muggles that visit the park they have installed fake cameras in the shop windows. If a muggle asks, they explain that the camera tracks the movement of the tip of the wand and if the movement is correct a special effect is activated. It's a clever explanation to hide the real magic that is happening in plain sight.
Also, since there are expert wizards to help, the Ministry of Magic has lifted the underage magic restrictions in the area, so everyone can do it.
Enjoy!

We just got back from our first multi-day UO stay, in combination with a WDW trip. The UO part was sooo much more relaxed and chill compared to WDW. We had planned to do some rope-dropping, etc. but weather changed those plans. Didn't have Express Pass and still did everything we wanted to over 3.5 days with no waits more than ~45-50 minutes. Loved Volcano Bay...consider adding that if you're into water parks.

Something I learned watching I believe it was Pugh 2 but if you stay at one of the premiere hotels the concierge will book your reservations for you. They need a 30 minute lead time but can get in usually. I was shocked to hear this as we always stay at the premiere hotels.

Something I learned watching I believe it was Pugh 2 but if you stay at one of the premiere hotels the concierge will book your reservations for you. They need a 30 minute lead time but can get in usually. I was shocked to hear this as we always stay at the premiere hotels.
Love Pugh2!! Also on this same note, the Chat Universal feature is GREAT. Once you’ve checked in, you can text the front desk with any issues or requests, which is really handy if you’re in park and something comes up. I.e. I had turned on charging privileges for my room key and got declined at a restaurant. Opted for another form of payment in the moment, but they got it fixed via chat in 3 minutes and I could go about my day.

Love Pugh2!! Also on this same note, the Chat Universal feature is GREAT. Once you’ve checked in, you can text the front desk with any issues or requests, which is really handy if you’re in park and something comes up. I.e. I had turned on charging privileges for my room key and got declined at a restaurant. Opted for another form of payment in the moment, but they got it fixed via chat in 3 minutes and I could go about my day.
Love this feature too! Request towels, shower door off track, need coffee, question on pool hours/opening after rain, any number of questions - this feature is AWESOME!

Most important thing is to tack on the Universal days at the end of your Disney trip, not the beginning. You'll do far more things and do them at a relaxing pace at UO - and it actually feels like a vacation, not a mission to accomplish. It has a tendency to ruin your Disney days if you experience that first.

Portofino Club rooms are a great choice. We use Club for breakfast every day, drinks/snacks to take to park or room and for dessert most nights. We never use it for dinner. Partly because there are way too many great restaurants at UO, but mostly because the dinner selections are pretty limited.

Not much to add to other comments here (particularly the advantage of using a lanyard - the only thing we head to the park with). Most planning happens on the fly based on what you currently feel like - or want to eat. The parks and rides become just part of your resort. You can go ride rides, hit a restaurant for lunch, go back to swim at any of the pools. Then ride a few more rides before you go to dinner.

Full disclosure: I went to Disney with my kids through the 90's, then had my first split trip back in 1999 or 2000. Never went back to Disney. Universal has gotten better and better since then, but Disney may have gotten more chill and relaxed since then and I wouldn't know. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

We eat cinnabon or voodoo donuts for breakfast no matter where we stay.
We try to eat at Mythos once a trip and rotate around the other restaurants. We really miss Emeril's restaurants, they were amazing.
The resort restaurants are mosty very good to excellent.
Try YouTube for some pov ride videos.

The 2 parks are right next to each other. It’s easier to treat as one big park. Not a lot of planning involved.
we went to both parks all three days. I would also note that it's often faster to walk than to take the hogwarts express if you don't have universal express and if often too us with express 20-30 minutes to get on the train.

I think if you focus on rope drop to hagrids and anything else you prioritize. The express pass will allow you to do almost everything else on demand as you walk around. in 3 days we did everything twice or three times (except some things we skipped because we had done them in hollywood before, like olivander's)

If you can spend an afternoon just enjoying your resort. If Portofino, you will love the boats. I love them. Also Portofino is so chill. I went in December and loved it. They are supposed to be under rehab. I don't know if they will be in January.

The restaurants at Portofino are very good if you like Italian. Also the wands are pricey but you can bring them back and use them again as your wand is magical,

Thanks everyone. This has been super helpful.

I'm now wondering about the resorts though. The Portofino club has the best reviews but it's also furthest away? And most expensive ? How are the other two top tier resorts (that come with EP)? And their club levels? I've heard bad reviews of the Hard Rock club level.

Thanks!

I always go with the one that is least expensive because they are all wonderful in their own way. I don’t have experience with club though so can’t speak to that. The distance never bothers me as I’m taking the relaxing boat most of the time anyway. I prefer to save the walking for the long days in the park. Did you say how many would be in the room? I would pick Portofino if more than 2-3 just because they have the largest rooms.

I always go with the one that is least expensive because they are all wonderful in their own way. I don’t have experience with club though so can’t speak to that. The distance never bothers me as I’m taking the relaxing boat most of the time anyway. I prefer to save the walking for the long days in the park. Did you say how many would be in the room? I would pick Portofino if more than 2-3 just because they have the largest rooms.

That's really helpful. A 20 minute walk from Portofino isn't bad, but we will be walking a lot.

There are 4 of us in one room and the baby (with playpen) and mom in the other. But we may split into 3 and 3. I was a bit worried about the small rooms for the family.

I've heard club at HR is way too small for the number of guests and am just wondering if that would just be frustrating. Portofino also seems to have the most hardy breakfast options, which is also appealing.

That's really helpful. A 20 minute walk from Portofino isn't bad, but we will be walking a lot.

There are 4 of us in one room and the baby (with playpen) and mom in the other. But we may split into 3 and 3. I was a bit worried about the small rooms for the family.

I've heard club at HR is way too small for the number of guests and am just wondering if that would just be frustrating. Portofino also seems to have the most hardy breakfast options, which is also appealing.
I walked by the Portofino club a few times during my last stay and it’s huge. It was recently redone and expanded.

The boats are really a nice way to get to the parks. Don’t discount it. Nothing like taking Disney transportation.

I walked by the Portofino club a few times during my last stay and it’s huge. It was recently redone and expanded.

The boats are really a nice way to get to the parks. Don’t discount it. Nothing like taking Disney transportation.
Agreed the Portofino boats run all the time. You go through security before you get on the boat. It's a short boat ride. Much better than walking, in my opinion.

Thanks re the boats. I was picturing Disney like transportation where you have to be super early and wait. Thought walking would be easier. But if they run a lot and it's fast, definitely something to keep in mind!

If you stay at Portofino get to the parks by boat! Such a relaxing ride and it drops you off right at the point where the parks meet citywalk.

Park to park is VERY easy, it took me with one bad knee and one middling knee less than 10 minutes to walk from one to the other. I've since had one knee replaced so I suspect I could now clock it in under 8. it's all one big walkable area.

We loved Vivo which is in Citywalk. Great dinner place.

If you have EP, and a non rider we got in to Islands at opening one morning and I held the bags while my son ran on to Hulk. Everyone else was busy opening lockers and stashing stuff so he got to ride it by himself. He still talks about being able to do that.

Thanks re the boats. I was picturing Disney like transportation where you have to be super early and wait. Thought walking would be easier. But if they run a lot and it's fast, definitely something to keep in mind!

At least 2 years ago Universal transport is fast and plentiful. The only issue we had was getting from Portofino to Volcano Bay. We just preferred the boat as it's such a pretty ride and you don't go through the security with the masses, it's its own thing.

At least 2 years ago Universal transport is fast and plentiful. The only issue we had was getting from Portofino to Volcano Bay. We just preferred the boat as it's such a pretty ride and you don't go through the security with the masses, it's its own thing.
coming back to hotel we did find walking to RPR was faster every time, but the boat was more relaxing. Took the boat over every morning, and walked back if we left right at park close, boat if not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter