first timer asks advice and opinions

debo

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW for the first time! I've practically memorized 4 guidebooks and looked at every website I can find - this one is the best!! I've been planning since Mar. for our trip 6/24-6/30. I've bought our teva's and ponchos (among other things :D ) and planned our must sees! I will be traveling with my 2 teenaged DDs, who think I have become totally obsessed with planning and talking about our trip! It's been fun planning, but I still have a few questions:

Our flight in arrives around 11:00. How crowded will MCO be that time of night, and how long will it take us to get our baggage, rental car...?

We are staying on N I-Drive. How bad is the traffic heading towards WDW really? What is the best route to take? I was thinking Universal to Beeline, then I-4? How early should we leave for the park openings?

Now for the most important part - is this schedule doable? Suggestions? Opinions? MK-Wed., MGM-Thurs., beach-Fri. (dds insist) EPCOT-Sat., US-Sun. I had planned to purchase 4dayPH so we could do 3/4 day MGM and 1/4 AK (there are only 4 things we really wanted to do there) but AK closes earlier than I anticipated! We MUST do MGM a.m. for maximum RNR and TOT experience! When closing was posted at 5:00 for AK, we decided to scrap it this visit. DDs more interested in other things anyway! Wanted to include IOA, but just don't have enough time this trip!

The Unofficial Guide has been great! Do the touring plans really work? We plan to be there before opening every day!

Can I buy all our day passes to the disney parks on the same day for a discount, even though we will skip a day in between?

Thanks for your help!!

It sounds to me like a pretty good plan, especially since you're taking a break for a beach day right in the middle. That should help you regain some energy! If you buy 4-day Park Hopper tickets you can use them for any four days; it doesn't have to be consecutive use (can even be 2 different trips.) These tickets don't expire. If you only plan on visiting 3 parks and are NOT planning to hop between parks, you can get a 3 day/3 park pass at Guest Relations or a park ticket window (not online, DS, etc.) The 3 day pass is $155.49 (which saves you about $10 over buying separate tix) but must be purchased on the first day - ie, you can't go on the 2nd day and try to "upgrade" your ticket. With these tix, you can leave and come back to the same park but can't go to another park on the same day. You don't have to use these consecutively either. There is info on www.wdwig.com/ticket.htm that covers all the ticket choices and prices.

I would suggest that, if your budget allows, you might want to opt for the Hopper tickets. I say this because it's your first trip and a busy time of year. You might find that the weather that week isn't going to be good enough for the beach or that the park you chose for the day happens to be very crowded or that you missed some rides that you'd like to go back to (or loved them so much you have to go again!) I'm very big on planning but I know that sometimes you need to change it , and I like the flexibility of the Hoppers because I can make changes.

Don't miss SpectroMagic and Fantasmic. I would also suggest trying to have afternoon tea at the GF; it's easy to get to by monorail from MK, a nice break in the day and a great mother-daughter bonding experience. Have a great time!

We flew last year in early June and arrived at MCO on a Friday around the same time. It took us about an hour to pick up our luggage and the rental car. The rental car counter is downstairs in the airport so DH went to take care of that while I waited with our dd's and the luggage at the baggage claim area. The hardest part of that is he had to keep driving around until a spot opened up by the curb so we could load everything in the car. Have a great time!!

Your schedule looks great! Have a wonderful trip. Mickey

Hi debo:wave: Welcome to the DIS !
We used one of the touring plans in the Unofficial Guide to WDW and it helped us to avoid a lot of long waits. I think we went a little overboard on trying to stay "on plan" though. There is a lot of crisscrossing of the parks when you use the plans and we had trouble with our children wanting to go on a certain attractions that weren't on our list(one example: step 10 says ride PoC then take the train to Mickey's Toontown Fair but your kids want to go on the JC but that's not untill step 15). You may not have that problem as your children are older than mine. Next time we go we won't be so ridgid.
Have fun on your trip !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter