• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time to Orlando…

Oh yeah...and taking breaks can be really nice. Especially when you know you'll be back in the parks on other trips. I don't feel like I have to get EVERYTHING in.

I definitely recommend breaks at VGC. We always take breaks these days and when we stayed at the Grand Cal last year it was so nice to take breaks there! We'd sometimes stop at the DTD Starbucks on our way to our room. The breaks there were a lot nicer than when we would take breaks in Harbor hotels. Really looking forward to VGC being our "home!"

NOWHERE in the 4 WDW parks is there a coaster that goes upside down??
Just another post pointing out that Rock n Rollercoaster was down for refurb, so you missed it. It has I think 3 inversions, including at initial takeoff. Not to be missed!

Just another post pointing out that Rock n Rollercoaster was down for refurb, so you missed it. It has I think 3 inversions, including at initial takeoff. Not to be missed!
Yea, I didn’t even think about it before I posted. I guess I just assumed you can’t go upside-down indoors.!? lol

Loved reading about your first experience at WDW! I’m a bit embarrassed to say I’ve not been to DLR yet (even though I’ve been to Disneyland Paris twice and going back this summer haha) but I feel like most love the OG park so much more than WDW so I’m glad this trip lived up to what you were hoping it would be!

Also, the one ride I think you said you missed goes upside down, of course😉 You’ll have to catch RRC next time!
For a second even I forgot about RRC, I've only been on it twice in the past 3 years and we've gone to WDW 10 times since then. Just feels like it's always down for refurb =/.

Of the US based parks, DL is still my favorite. It just has a certain charm to it being the original and every single thing having meaning behind it and history. As a whole though, I have to say WDW for us overtakes DLR. I just love how immersive the entire experience is from the resorts, parks, restaurants, transportation and that Disney doesn't just stop once you're on Harbor Blvd.

Last edited:
For a second even I forgot about RRC, I've only been on it twice in the past 3 years and we've gone to WDW 10 times since then. Just feels like it's always down for refurb =/.

Of the US based parks, DL is still my favorite. It just has a certain charm to it being the original and every single thing having meaning behind it and history. As a whole though, I have to say I have to admit WDW for us overtakes DLR. I just love how immersive the entire experience is from the resorts, parks, restaurants, transportation and that Disney doesn't just stop once you're on Harbor Blvd.

After decades of always staying on Harbor (or living 10 minutes away)...we finally stayed onsite last year. I honestly wasn't sure if it would make a difference in the 'feel' of the trip but it absolutely did. Though, to be fair, we didn't leave the bubble of the hotel/DTD/parks during our entire week so that definitely helps too. But I was a bit surprised at how much nicer it was to just walk to our hotel through DTD instead of heading out onto Harbor. I actually think it felt MORE immersive that WDW since I didn't have to spend anytime on buses.

Of the US based parks, DL is still my favorite. It just has a certain charm to it being the original and every single thing having meaning behind it and history. As a whole though, I have to say I have to admit WDW for us overtakes DLR. I just love how immersive the entire experience is from the resorts, parks, restaurants, transportation and that Disney doesn't just stop once you're on Harbor Blvd.
I actually forgot RRC had an upside down bit. I also never go on probably because I remembered it as being not great, but I did it on my past October trip after 4-5 years and it was honestly so much better than I remembered. Wish it was a different Aerosmith song though.

I can’t wait to visit Disneyland. Disneyland Paris is incredible and I think I prefer it to Magic Kingdom so I’m sure DL will blow both out of the water. But I think one of the things that has always kept me from going to DLR is that it’s never felt like a destination/vacation trip (that, and all the extended family I have there that demand a lot of time and attention 😅). It’s always seemed to me like an add-on day or two type of trip and I’d have to make a southern Cali trip around it, not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I love the immersive aspect of WDW, it’s its own Disney city and there’s so much to do in that city for a week+. It also helps that I’m NYC based so WDW is a short and often cheap flight away.

You’ve said you grew up close to DLR, right? It must be the absolute best as a local. I could never see myself moving to Florida, but Cali? :scratchin I might have an opportunity or two this year to go to DLR, including after a SoCal wedding next month, so we’ll see!

I actually forgot RRC had an upside down bit. I also never go on probably because I remembered it as being not great, but I did it on my past October trip after 4-5 years and it was honestly so much better than I remembered. Wish it was a different Aerosmith song though.

I can’t wait to visit Disneyland. Disneyland Paris is incredible and I think I prefer it to Magic Kingdom so I’m sure DL will blow both out of the water. But I think one of the things that has always kept me from going to DLR is that it’s never felt like a destination/vacation trip (that, and all the extended family I have there that demand a lot of time and attention 😅). It’s always seemed to me like an add-on day or two type of trip and I’d have to make a southern Cali trip around it, not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I love the immersive aspect of WDW, it’s its own Disney city and there’s so much to do in that city for a week+. It also helps that I’m NYC based so WDW is a short and often cheap flight away.

You’ve said you grew up close to DLR, right? It must be the absolute best as a local. I could never see myself moving to Florida, but Cali? :scratchin I might have an opportunity or two this year to go to DLR, including after a SoCal wedding next month, so we’ll see!
I lived within 20min for about 12 years, & yes having a annual pass is awesome. I'd go for lunch (& Pirates), just for the hell of it. lol

Funny you mention moving... One of my thoughts in Florida, was I bet I could get a decent job in WDW after i retire (part time, & easy on the hours), more or less as needed,. my original plan was to try to move closer to DLR, but with prices being what they are (and taxes) & as big and as amazing as WDW is, I may have a new idea for retirement, i'll just have to make a visit during the summer to see if I can really handle it or not. ;)

Last edited:
I lived within 20min for about 12 years, & yes having a annual pass is awesome. I'd go for lunch (& Pirates), just for the hell of it. lol

Funny you mention moving... One of my thoughts in Florida, was I bet I could get a decent job in WDW after i retire (part time, & easy on the hours, more or less as needed,. my original plan was to try to move closer to DLR, but with prices being what they are (and taxes) & as big and as amazing as WDW is, I may have a new idea for retirement, i'll just have to make a visit during the summer to see if I can really handle it or not. ;)
FL in the summer is definitely a different beast! But if you can get through the really hot 3-4 months, the rest of the time it's great. I miss it! Especially here in MA.

Funny you mention moving... One of my thoughts in Florida, was I bet I could get a decent job in WDW after i retire (part time, & easy on the hours, more or less as needed,. my original plan was to try to move closer to DLR, but with prices being what they are (and taxes) & as big and as amazing as WDW is, I may have a new idea for retirement, i'll just have to make a visit during the summer to see if I can really handle it or not. ;)
Going to DL for lunch and vibes as your day to day is truly goals.

I’ve thought about eventually working in WDW, too, but like, a really long time from now hahah but if the current political atmosphere stays the same, I’m not sure it’s for me. And don’t get me started on the weather. We did July 4th one year and it was NOT fun. Tbf, we did park open-close everyday and man was that too much. We have a short trip at the end of June and I’m genuinely nervous lol Thank goodness for an AP because we will likely spend most of the day at the resort and just go to the parks in the evenings. Being outside in theme park with thousands of people when it’s 90°+ and 90% humidity is something you really have to experience to understand haha

FL in the summer is definitely a different beast! But if you can get through the really hot 3-4 months, the rest of the time it's great. I miss it! Especially here in MA.
One of the best times to go to WDW is late August! tbf, 2 out of 4 of us have birthdays right around Labor Day, But you have food and wine, MNSSHP, low crowds, and for DVC, easy booking at 7mo!

We put our Brita water bottles in the fridge the night before, refill with ice as needed, have hats, and cooling towels and sunglasses, and virtually every ride is a walk on. If it's really hot, we'll take a midday break at the pool, then head out later in the day and after dark. Get a day with a tropical storm, and it's actually fun with a poncho and olukai flip flops. No waits for anything, and it's an experience! We've stayed at BWV, BCV, AKV-K (savanna) in addition to our home resorts.

Also in addition to (not riding) RNRC, did you ride Everest? It does not go upside down but feels like it does.

One of the best times to go to WDW is late August! tbf, 2 out of 4 of us have birthdays right around Labor Day, But you have food and wine, MN$$HP, low crowds, and for DVC, easy booking at 7mo!
That sounds like crazy talk. lol
I hate humidity, I'm west coast, so I'm fine with 113*, but "it's a dry heat". I was at a Cubs game in Chicago once when it was 84* out and couldn't have been more miserable. (same goes with about 92* in Houston once)

We put our Brita water bottles in the fridge the night before, refill with ice as needed, have hats, and cooling towels and sunglasses, and virtually every ride is a walk on. If it's really hot, we'll take a midday break at the pool, then head out later in the day and after dark. Get a day with a tropical storm, and it's actually fun with a poncho and olukai flip flops. No waits for anything, and it's an experience! We've stayed at BWV, BCV, AKV-K (savanna) in addition to our home resorts.
Sounds like Jan/Feb, but without the ponchos and heat. ;)

Also in addition to (not riding) RNRC, did you ride Everest? It does not go upside down but feels like it does.
Yep, rode Everest & it was a good one for sure!!

That sounds like crazy talk. lol
I hate humidity, I'm west coast, so I'm fine with 113*, but "it's a dry heat". I was at a Cubs game in Chicago once when it was 84* out and couldn't have been more miserable. (same goes with about 92* in Houston once)

Sounds like Jan/Feb, but without the ponchos and heat. ;)

Yep, rode Everest & it was a good one for sure!!
I do hate the heat and humidity, but I've lived in it before (NC) and grew up going to Disney (in a car) in the summer. Maybe it's that the summers in NYC have been getting hotter and hotter, but maybe I'm getting used to it. During the day, we do make sure to do rides and shows that are indoors, so we aren't outside for too long. The cooling towels help immensely.

After decades of always staying on Harbor (or living 10 minutes away)...we finally stayed onsite last year. I honestly wasn't sure if it would make a difference in the 'feel' of the trip but it absolutely did. Though, to be fair, we didn't leave the bubble of the hotel/DTD/parks during our entire week so that definitely helps too. But I was a bit surprised at how much nicer it was to just walk to our hotel through DTD instead of heading out onto Harbor. I actually think it felt MORE immersive that WDW since I didn't have to spend anytime on buses.
I grew up down the street from DL so I can’t say I’ve ever experienced it as a vacation destination so that definitely messes with the immersion but even so idk I like actually like that I can take a 20 minute bus ride and STILL be on Disney property lol so to each their own. Now that I no longer live in SoCal I am tempted to own at VGC but at the same time since my family still lives in socal it’s probably better for me to just own property in socal especially if I may end up moving back down the road.

I grew up down the street from DL so I can’t say I’ve ever experienced it as a vacation destination so that definitely messes with the immersion but even so idk I like actually like that I can take a 20 minute bus ride and STILL be on Disney property lol so to each their own. Now that I no longer live in SoCal I am tempted to own at VGC but at the same time since my family still lives in socal it’s probably better for me to just own property in socal especially if I may end up moving back down the road.
Would certainly round out your signature. ;)

When we were there last month, it hit mid-80s for a couple days and I was sweating buckets! I haven't been to WDW in the summer since I was 14 years old. I don't think I could do it now! We do go to Disneyland in June and it can definitely be hot but I typically manage okay with an umbrella for shade. When it's humid, the shade doesn't seem to help at all.

Just reading back thru my original plans and the reports and replies, etc I noticed a few things… Understanding some suggestions so much better now that I’ve been there.

I’m west coast based as well, grew up going to DL, these days I prefer WDW, & head to Florida once a year.
The thing that surprises my friends after their first WDW visit is just how much more spread out it is compared to DL/CA. That’s part of the reason I like it, but it takes awhile to become familiar w/ getting from point A to point B.
Staying at BRV you’ll see CCV since those villas are in the main Wilderness Lodge Building (+the cabins.)
From BRV it’s easy to get to the MK via a quick bus ride or a nice boat ride. Once at the MK you can easily visit the Poly, VGF, & BLT via monorail to check out those DVC resorts. Or you can boat from MK to the Poly & VGF. I often take a midway break from the MK and boat over to the Poly for a quick service lunch at Captain Cooks or to the GF to visit the Enchanted Rose in the GF’s lobby.
You can get to Epcot by bus from BRV or by taking the monorail from the MK to the TTC & transferring over to the Epcot monorail.
Personally for your additional days I’d try to get BWV which is walkable to Epcot and DHS. BWV is a medium sized DVC resort & thus easier to get at 7 months than nearby BCV - if you don’t stay there you can easily check out both resorts by leaving Epcot through the international gate (between France and England) and visiting both resorts. You can also walk or take a boat over to DHS from the BWV/BCV.
Riviera can be reached via the Skyliner at the Epcot International Gate.
I’d combine an SSR visit w/ a trip to Disney Springs - which is huge - you can walk, bus, or boat to SSR from Disney Springs. SSR is big - you might want to ride the bus there to get an idea of the size, layout of the resort, there are multiple stops. You can also boat/bus to OKW from Disney Springs.
I’d add a visit to AKV to an AK park visit, just grab a bus for the 5 minute ride from AK to AKV - be sure to check out both Kidani & Jambo house - they are very different IMO & there are DVC villas in both. The restaurants Boma & Jiko at AKL/V Jambo, & Sanaa at Kidani are really good.
You can also grab a bus at any park to most resorts you want to visit, I just like mixing things up by riding the boats, monorail, & Skyliner.

You didn’t ask - but rides you can’t do @ DL/CA:
AK - almost everything, don’t miss FOP*!
DHS - Mickey & Minnie RR*, Indy show
Epcot - Guardians*, Spaceship earth, Ratatouille*, Frozen (in Norway,) Mexico boat ride
MK - Tron, 7dwarves roller coaster.
My original plan was to go back to WDW every 3 years, now I’m doing DVC math to see if I want to go every other year or every year. lol

All of @sndral 's advice but especially This! We are thinking about doing the reverse - been to DL a couple of times and tempted to get some VGC. I think the parks and areas that are the most different from DL are Crescent Lake (BWV/BCV area) and EP/HS, so if you were to add on, that area might be worth a look. (also AK/AKV) but I'm a little biased because EP was our favorite park even before all the new rides.

Yes! But: We did this at RIV where we *already* owned points, and walked through a GV, and now I want more points. So be careful.

Hopefully you can get a 1br std or a studio p/g view. Those are generally pretty available at BWV at 7mo. All 2br at BWV are lockoffs, so when studios are gone, 2br are gone. My kids love the BCV pool and the short walk to Epcot and the skyliner, but I prefer BWV for the lower point costs, the Boardwalk area, and the shorter walk to HS.
I’ve made 2 offers on BWV and so tempted to add AKV. :)

How was your trip??? Hope you all enjoyed it! Hard to believe it's already over!
It was funny how after only a couple of days it felt like I still had forever left of my trip, but then boom it was over…

Yikes on the timing of getting in to your room. I once got a $100 credit to our account for them getting us in at 4.30pm and I didn’t even complain just made a light comment about how that’s later than usual and the CM at RIV apologized for the delay and said they were going to compensate us. It was really nice and I wasn’t expecting it. See if you can get something for how late they checked you in. Hopefully today will be a better one!
I did end up getting that $100 room credit.!

Your DL friends will be disappointed if you forget to check out the Fort W Cabins .
Try to plan a visit to the Horse Barn to see the. Calliope showcased in the Barn and listen to the music .
Those horses just about have concierge care but they deserve it !
Its also a great place to see ChipnDale Campfire nightly and the Electricla Water Pageant over by the docks.
Tri Circle was very cool. Not much of a fan of FW, but I didn’t spend a lot of time exploring, just walked from boat dock to the ranch.

LOL, not only indoors, but in the dark! Quite a rush! It’s been my favorite ride at WDW since it opened.
I’m wondering if it’ll always be down for me in late Jan/Early Feb.

Of the US based parks, DL is still my favorite. It just has a certain charm to it being the original and every single thing having meaning behind it and history. As a whole though, I have to say WDW for us overtakes DLR. I just love how immersive the entire experience is from the resorts, parks, restaurants, transportation and that Disney doesn't just stop once you're on Harbor Blvd.
I’m headed back to DLR in December for my first DVC stay at Grand Cal, so this will be the deciding factor on that. I’ll either fall back in love with DLR or I’ll constantly be talking about how this or that is better in Orlando. lol
-

I keep editing my original post, but finding it hard to find this thread again each time, is that why people add all their trips to their signature? I feel like I need a post area on my profile page to keep track of things. lol

I’m wondering if it’ll always be down for me in late Jan/Early Feb.
We frequently go in late January/early February, and RnR usually is not down for refurb. It has been having a lot of problems in recent years, so hopefully the current refurb will fix that.

My original plan was to go back to WDW every 3 years, now I’m doing DVC math to see if I want to go every other year or every year. lol
Lol I think us WDW folks were waiting for this to happen. I thought it might take at least 1 more trip though haha
I did end up getting that $100 room credit.!
Nice! I’m glad they compensated you for the time waste and hassle! Small gestures can go a long way in making the situation better.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter