First time at Aulani this August!

suse66

When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true!
Hi Friends!

I am happy to post here for the first time! I am a regular over on the TRip Reports board and have been travelling to Disney for the last 15 years. This June is our 25th wedding anniversary and my husband is transitioning from full time work to running his own business in July. So we have two big reasons to celebrate!

I am a DVC owner at Boulder Ridge Villas and planned to use my points at the 7 month mark to book an ocean view studio for six nights. It took a few days to secure a reservation but we are now booked for August 18-24 and are SO excited! We will also spend 3 nights in Waikiki at the beginning of our trip and wrap it up with 3 nights at Turtle Bay.

Now I need to know ALL the things! What room should I request? Is it worth it to do the Luau? Should we do the character breakfast? What should we see and do on O'ahu?

I look forward to chatting with you all as I plan the dreamiest trip ever!

That’s a lot of questions. What you do will be mostly deceived by what you will most enjoy. To start I would suggest watching some recent utube videos

That’s a lot of questions. What you do will be mostly deceived by what you will most enjoy. To start I would suggest watching some recent utube videos
I've been watching a ton of You Tube videos so have lots of ideas. I'm interested in what people here have enjoyed. Also hello to a fellow Canadian! :)

🇨🇦😊, ok that’s as much patriotic expression as I am allowed. After all I am Canadian.
I would definitely consider the luau, it’s expensive but if you’re likely not going to be at Aulani again anytime soon it will add to your trip. I also like the character breakfast, I’m not sure it’s worth the money, but its the most Disney thing at the resort, and who doesn’t enjoy interaction with characters. I would also keep Monkey Pod in mind, the restaurant across the street. It’s more reasonably priced then anything at Aulani and it’s good. If you go early during happy hour its half priced appys. We have done dinner that way a couple of times. What room/view type have you booked?

Hi Friends!

I am happy to post here for the first time! I am a regular over on the TRip Reports board and have been travelling to Disney for the last 15 years. This June is our 25th wedding anniversary and my husband is transitioning from full time work to running his own business in July. So we have two big reasons to celebrate!

I am a DVC owner at Boulder Ridge Villas and planned to use my points at the 7 month mark to book an ocean view studio for six nights. It took a few days to secure a reservation but we are now booked for August 18-24 and are SO excited! We will also spend 3 nights in Waikiki at the beginning of our trip and wrap it up with 3 nights at Turtle Bay.

Now I need to know ALL the things! What room should I request? Is it worth it to do the Luau? Should we do the character breakfast? What should we see and do on O'ahu?

I look forward to chatting with you all as I plan the dreamiest trip ever!
We booked our first Aulani trips 18-24th as well!:cool1: I can't offer any tips since we're new to Aulani but we share your excitement!!! Good luck with your planning:)

We booked our first Aulani trips 18-24th as well!:cool1: I can't offer any tips since we're new to Aulani but we share your excitement!!! Good luck with your planning:)
Awesome!! Are you travelling with your family. It is just the two of us for our anniversary trip. What room category did you go for? Are you DVC as well?

I have been following "Ordinary Adventures" on YouTube. They have great info on Aulani and O'ahu.

We are first timers going and have been watching Ordinary Adventures as well!

We got a one bedroom, garden view cos it seemed like the highest value (There are four of us with two kiddos 5 and under so the kitchen and laundry are gonna be highly utilized). But we didn't plan soon enough to rent DVC points. I tried several times and got lots of emails saying that no rentals were available for my selected dates. Lesson learned for next time :)

Planned so far:
- Casabellas booked for our pool days
- Kids club booked for the days I think my kids will want to go (how people figure this out 3mo in advance is beyond me but I'm down to play the game!)
- Planning to go to Character Breakfast at least once
- Splurging to go to the Luau
- Planning to do Ukelele lessons and Tshirt stamping
- Planning to go to the spa once
- Planning to eat at the Four Seasons twice (Skipping Ama Ama cos the reviews didn't sound like it was high value)
- Planning NOT to wake up at 6a to do the towel game (hence the casabella rentals) ;)
- can't wait for the snacks!!! (popcorn bucket, fruit on a stick, boba, shaved ice, Ulu cafe treats, mickey ice cream, shaved ice... we'll be buzzin' while we're there)
- I can't wait to see the characters, to look at the Disney merch, and to find Menehune. Can't wait to do on the Menehune trail and look for hidden animals around the lazy river. Can't wait to take advantage of photopass and get photos of ALL FOUR OF US at once! Hopefully everyone is looking at the camera for at least a handful of them.

Last edited:

Just an FYI, the casabellas are actually not terribly near the pools. They are kind of on their own As a plus, they are way quieter. We prefer them to a cabana.

Just an FYI, the casabellas are actually not terribly near the pools. They are kind of on their own As a plus, they are way quieter. We prefer them to a cabana.
Being tucked away is totally ok with us. Who knows, maybe one of the kids might nap... maybe...

I do worry the servers might forget about us. I am kinda counting on avoiding the lines by ordering poolside service :rolleyes1

We are first timers going and have been watching Ordinary Adventures as well!

We got a one bedroom, garden view cos it seemed like the highest value (There are four of us with two kiddos 5 and under so the kitchen and laundry are gonna be highly utilized). But we didn't plan soon enough to rent DVC points. I tried several times and got lots of emails saying that no rentals were available for my selected dates. Lesson learned for next time :)

Planned so far:
- Kids club booked for the days I think my kids will want to go (how people figure this out 3mo in advance is beyond me but I'm down to play the game!)
- Splurging to go to the Luau
- Planning to do Ukelele lessons and Tshirt stamping
- Planning to eat at the Four Seasons twice (Skipping Ama Ama cos the reviews didn't sound like it was high value)
- Planning NOT to wake up at 6a to do the towel game (hence the casabella rentals) ;)
- can't wait for the snacks!!! (popcorn bucket, fruit on a stick, boba, shaved ice, Ulu cafe treats, mickey ice cream, shaved ice... we'll be buzzin' while we're there)
- I can't wait to see the characters, to look at the Disney merch, and to find Menehune. Can't wait to do on the Menehune trail and look for hidden animals around the lazy river. Can't wait to take advantage of photopass and get photos of ALL FOUR OF US at once! Hopefully everyone is looking at the camera for at least a handful of them.
Just a plug for Ama Ama… my wife and I always do Mina’s and Ama Ama for a dinner on our trips and have had good experiences at both.

As an fyi, if you stay in the Ewa tower (depending on what view you choose), your balcony will overlook the luau. Having actually paid for the luau once, we have no hesitation in recommending to people that sitting on your balcony enjoying your own food and drinks is 90% of the experience at 10% of the cost.

As an fyi, if you stay in the Ewa tower (depending on what view you choose), your balcony will overlook the luau. Having actually paid for the luau once, we have no hesitation in recommending to people that sitting on your balcony enjoying your own food and drinks is 90% of the experience at 10% of the cost.
Aloha from a fellow Canuck. They have an Ocean view, so they might be on the inner side of the tower. We did have an Island view and had a view of the Luau.
I would actually look at the Luau at Tao. 1/2 the price, smaller more intimate and includes the botanical gardens and swimming at the waterfall.
Tao is on the way to the North Shore, so maybe when your at Turtle do it up there, but it really isnt a far drive. But being used to Toronto traffic, there is nothing far on the Island for us.
For breakfest we loved going across the street to Eggs and things, yum yum.
Also loved just trying out different food trucks around the Island, but we like to try different local things.
If you crave a burger,,,,7 brothers you cant go wrong,,,again up North Shore, in a mini mall, but just look them up.
Depending on what part of Canada and how many hours your making up, getting up early the 1st couple of days and doing things like Diamond Head as the 1st time slot before the heat.
enjoy.

Being tucked away is totally ok with us. Who knows, maybe one of the kids might nap... maybe...

I do worry the servers might forget about us. I am kinda counting on avoiding the lines by ordering poolside service :rolleyes1
I found that the servers check in regularly and definitely they come by around lunch. There is someone assigned to that area.

Awesome!! Are you travelling with your family. It is just the two of us for our anniversary trip. What room category did you go for? Are you DVC as well?

I have been following "Ordinary Adventures" on YouTube. They have great info on Aulani and O'ahu.
Yes, we are DVC. And fellow Canadienne, too. My kiddo is at U of T and loving it there.
We booked 1 bdrm IG view for our family. Knowing how hard it is to book at Aulani, I'm soooo thankful I got something. We plan to just hang out and relax at the resort but considering renting a car to do some hiking. Also, debating about hopping over to Maui after Aulani. Thanks for the YouTube info. I'll check it out.

We fell in love with Aulani on my first visit in August 2021 and now go annually in mid/late August. We always do character breakfast and Aulani luau once a trip. We love the character greets at Aulani because they're laid back and have rare characters like Duffy and Friends.

Before my first Aulani trip, we planned to do lots of off-site activities, but during the trip, we ended up cutting out half of them because we wanted to spend more resort time.

As a proud grandson of WWII veterans, Pearl Harbor is a must-visit for me, and I usually visit at least one PH museum per trip.

We are not fine-dining people, so we skip the pricey restaurants. We love the many Japanese food options in Kapolei, Honolulu, and Waikiki.

Ordinary Adventures is a great YouTube resource for Aulani and Oahu planning. Also, Bill and Lisa Food Travel has great Aulani and Oahu food videos.

Ohhh Hawaii in August is the BEST!
I am also Canadian and I really prefer the summer for travelling to Hawaii. The ocean water can be too cold for me in the winter months, but I am a big baby and get chilled easily.
Waikiki is a fun way to start your trip and I suggest doing East side Oahu activities while you are based there because it is that much closer and the time change makes it easier to be up and at 'em for things like hiking Diamond Head and early snorkelling out at Hanuma Bay.
Aulani is great, you will like it I am sure.
Do you have a rental car?
I feel that the island of Oahu has so much to offer that it really can make or break an Aulani vacation.
If you do, then the whole island becomes a playground!

Is the Luau worth it? Wellll, that is a loaded question for sure.
LOTS of people enjoy it, but...
If you have never been to a luau, then going to one makes sense. You will probaby regret not doing it but do you NEED to do the Disney Aulani one? That is the question!
In all my trips I have been two full luaus and I have seen the old free (no food) luau that Aulani used to put on. I have said this on the boards before that I feel luaus are way over priced and not always an authentic representation of the culture (honestly depends on the luau) If you have watched the first season of White Lotus then you might have seen a similar sentiment hinted at. ITs kind of like how people who have never been to Canada think we all live in igloos and walk around in Mountie outfits.
I think you can get very authentic Hawaiian style food at many places around Oahu and you can see amazing championship level hula dancing for free or minimal charge too. https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/a-modern-twist-on-the-old-kodak-hula-show-coming-to-waikiki-soon/
and free keiki (children) and adult hula at the Ala Moana mall https://www.alamoanacenter.com/en/events/daily-hula-show-40430.html as well as other places.

However, the Aulani luau is good entertainment.
Is it worth it? With the Canadian exchange, I think it is very expensive for what it is. Are you going to have a great time without having to leave the resort? Probably.
Are you the type of person who doesn't mind paying extra for a dessert party at WDW?
I am not. I wish I could be but I find there is soooo much else I can spend my $$$ on in Hawaii that I just cannot bring myself to do a luau (again). I wanted to make sure my kids had been to one so that is why I have been to two LOL.

One fanatastic way to watch an incredible hula performance with really good food and top shelf drinks is at House WIthout A Key at the Halekulani Hotel in Waikiki. All the info is here.
https://www.halekulani.com/dining/house-without-a-key/

Yikes, I think I may have rambled on! Sorry, I just want to make sure you have balanced info from which you can make your choice.

I would definitely consider the luau, it’s expensive but if you’re likely not going to be at Aulani again anytime soon it will add to your trip. I also like the character breakfast, I’m not sure it’s worth the money, but its the most Disney thing at the resort, and who doesn’t enjoy interaction with characters.
The character breakfast is definitely on our list. We may choose to do a luau elsewhere.
would also keep Monkey Pod in mind, the restaurant across the street. It’s more reasonably priced then anything at Aulani and it’s good. If you go early during happy hour its half priced appys. We have done dinner that way a couple of times
I have heard great things about Monkey Pod!
What room/view type have you booked?
We are in an ocean view studio. It's just the two of us for our 25th anniversary.
Oooh, will have to look into this!
Same! ::yes::
Oh yes!!! It looks fabulous!!:cloud9:
Nothing like family photos. We are hoping to get anniversary pics done by the ocean,
Poolside service is the best!!
You're absolutely doing this right! We just did 3 nights there a month ago, STUNNING! LOVED IT! 😍
Yay! So glad you loved it! We are very excited for our stay there.
Just a plug for Ama Ama… my wife and I always do Mina’s and Ama Ama for a dinner on our trips and have had good experiences at both.
Thanks for the recommendations...we both enjoy a lovely meal.
Great tip!
Aloha from a fellow Canuck. They have an Ocean view, so they might be on the inner side of the tower. We did have an Island view and had a view of the Luau.
Lots of Canadians here on the Aulani board! Love that! :goodvibes
I would actually look at the Luau at Tao. 1/2 the price, smaller more intimate and includes the botanical gardens and swimming at the waterfall.
Great recommendation, thank you!
For breakfest we loved going across the street to Eggs and things, yum yum.
I have heard it is really good!
Also loved just trying out different food trucks around the Island, but we like to try different local things.
Love all the local food too. That's the whole point of travel for me. :)
Depending on what part of Canada and how many hours your making up, getting up early the 1st couple of days and doing things like Diamond Head as the 1st time slot before the heat.
enjoy.
We will be coming from southern Ontario so will defintely be awake early the first few days.
I found that the servers check in regularly and definitely they come by around lunch. There is someone assigned to that area.
Awesome!
We booked 1 bdrm IG view for our family. Knowing how hard it is to book at Aulani, I'm soooo thankful I got something. We plan to just hang out and relax at the resort but considering renting a car to do some hiking. Also, debating about hopping over to Maui after Aulani. Thanks for the YouTube info. I'll check it out.
Booking Aulani is like participating in the Hunger Games! Competetion was fierce!
We fell in love with Aulani on my first visit in August 2021 and now go annually in mid/late August. We always do character breakfast and Aulani luau once a trip. We love the character greets at Aulani because they're laid back and have rare characters like Duffy and Friends.
I love the character M&G's!
As a proud grandson of WWII veterans, Pearl Harbor is a must-visit for me, and I usually visit at least one PH museum per trip.
Pearl Harbour is definitely on our list. DH is a huge history buff.
We are not fine-dining people, so we skip the pricey restaurants. We love the many Japanese food options in Kapolei, Honolulu, and Waikiki.
Love, love, love Japanese food.
Ordinary Adventures is a great YouTube resource for Aulani and Oahu planning. Also, Bill and Lisa Food Travel has great Aulani and Oahu food videos.
We have been watching Ordinary Adventures. Will look into "BIll and Lisa food travel" too, thank you!
Waikiki is a fun way to start your trip and I suggest doing East side Oahu activities while you are based there because it is that much closer and the time change makes it easier to be up and at 'em for things like hiking Diamond Head and early snorkelling out at Hanuma Bay.
Thanks for the tip! :)
Do you have a rental car?
We weren't planning on getting one for Waikki but will have one the rest of the trip.
I think you can get very authentic Hawaiian style food at many places around Oahu and you can see amazing championship level hula dancing for free or minimal charge too. https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/a-modern-twist-on-the-old-kodak-hula-show-coming-to-waikiki-soon/
and free keiki (children) and adult hula at the Ala Moana mall https://www.alamoanacenter.com/en/events/daily-hula-show-40430.html as well as other places.
Terrific resources, thank you!
One fanatastic way to watch an incredible hula performance with really good food and top shelf drinks is at House WIthout A Key at the Halekulani Hotel in Waikiki. All the info is here.
https://www.halekulani.com/dining/house-without-a-key/
This is amazing!
Yikes, I think I may have rambled on! Sorry, I just want to make sure you have balanced info from which you can make your choice.
No rambling at all! You have been so helpful. I really appreciate it. :goodvibes

We were at the Marriot for dinner and got a view of the Luau there. Smaller group of diners, but after watching it 3/4 of the way through I’m glad we did Aulani. My better half’s family is local, they enjoyed it (Aulani luau) thoroughly, and not as touristy as some of the others. It is a polished show, but very well done.

Monkeypod is great, as is Minas and Longhi’s. Hmart, Foodland, and Don Quixotes (along with Costco) if you take food back (we take a Whole suitcase back full of local food)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter