• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First family trip- how is this plan?

AllEar2017

Mouseketeer
Hello! Planning a trip for Sep 19-24 with my husband and 2 boys 4 and 7 and staying at Poly. Does this sound like a good general plan? Not planning on MNSSHP which is maybe a mistake but I just don't see the value in it considering the ticket cost. Is this a mistake?!

T 9/19- land at noon, a few hours at MK. Either QS dinner at MK/Poly or have Chef Mickey 7 pm ADR

W 9/20- MK all day. Have Plaza lunch ADR but will grab a BoG if pops up.

Th 9/21- DHS all day. Have H&V ppo ADR for breakfast with Fantasmic and Sci Fi dinner ADR. Will go back to hotel midday.

F 9/22- hotel pool in morning with Epcot afternoon/evening

S- 9/23 AK until as late as we feel like it. Will arrive for EMH in am and have Tusker House brunch ADR at 10:30. In evening go back to MK (or any other park) for anything we missed/want to repeat.

Su 9/24- noon flight so no plans!

We've been to WDW 3 times in late September and have never done MNSSHP. We would like to but we are "an early to bed, early to rise family" and then the added cost just didn't make sense since we'd all be too tried to really enjoy it. Hoping one day though!

I like the idea of an ADR on the first night, something special to look forward to plus you will probably be hungry from traveling. (assuming you grab some QS once you arrive)

Overall, I think your plan looks good. With 2 full park days in a row, its good that you have a pool morning on Friday.

I haven't looked at the September schedule but take in mind how the parties affect touring at MK (such as busy MK days after party days).

We've been to WDW 3 times in late September and have never done MNSSHP. We would like to but we are "an early to bed, early to rise family" and then the added cost just didn't make sense since we'd all be too tried to really enjoy it. Hoping one day though!

I like the idea of an ADR on the first night, something special to look forward to plus you will probably be hungry from traveling. (assuming you grab some QS once you arrive)

Overall, I think your plan looks good. With 2 full park days in a row, its good that you have a pool morning on Friday.

I haven't looked at the September schedule but take in mind how the parties affect touring at MK (such as busy MK days after party days).

Thanks! Yes we are also early risers (by "we" I mean the little ones :(). I forgot we also have an ADR that first night at Kona Cafe- not as fun but maybe better to be at our own hotel?

As it stands now, there's more to do at Epcot than at DHS. If you have park hoppers, consider spending the morning 9/21 at Epcot (change your ADR to have an Epcot breakfast), the hop to DHS for the afternoon/evening (do your FPs at DHS for this day to ensure you can ride your top picks with minimal wait). A full day at DHS just doesn't maximize park time these days with so much under construction, imho.

I've been to WDW more times than I can count and have never paid for a party. I'm sure we are missing something fun/amazing, but we have a great time in the parks no matter. Enjoy.

As it stands now, there's more to do at Epcot than at DHS. If you have park hoppers, consider spending the morning 9/21 at Epcot (change your ADR to have an Epcot breakfast), the hop to DHS for the afternoon/evening (do your FPs at DHS for this day to ensure you can ride your top picks with minimal wait). A full day at DHS just doesn't maximize park time these days with so much under construction, imho.

I've been to WDW more times than I can count and have never paid for a party. I'm sure we are missing something fun/amazing, but we have a great time in the parks no matter. Enjoy.

Totally get that more to do at Epcot...but the H&V breakfast is our "must do" because the kids really love the Disney Jr characters more than other characters plus want to be there for Jedi Training sign up. We could do just morning at HS and hop to Epcot in afternoon and skip Fantasmic. That's our only pre-planned evening activity though. That's why I planned on going back to hotel midday but does seem like a bit of a hassle...

We've been twice during when there were parties, and I couldn't justify the cost, I could add a day or two to our trip for what party tickets cost. My youngest has never been a night owl, so unless I was willing to do nothing the next day it was never worth it for us. This trip he's 8 and I'm hoping to get a couple night shows in, but won't be closing any parks.

Looks like a good plan. Good luck getting BOG! It's till quite warm, we went early October, and it was still in the 90s.

I'm going to stick up for DHS here... I think there is plenty to do there in a day, especially if it's your first time! You have 2 ADRs and a mid day break scheduled that day, so that alone will eat up a lot of time. Jedi training also takes up quite a bit of time. We spent an entire day there last June with no breaks and still didn't get to do everything we wanted. I could see how people who have been there many times and have seen all the shows over and over would think there's not much to do. But for a first timer I think it's different. I only scheduled one park day for DHS last year because of everything I kept reading on here. This year I scheduled 2 days because there are so many shows I want to see. Whether Epcot or DHS has more to do really depends on you and your family and what interests you. I just wanted to chime in just to say don't necessarily get scared away from DHS!

Totally get that more to do at Epcot...but the H&V breakfast is our "must do" because the kids really love the Disney Jr characters more than other characters plus want to be there for Jedi Training sign up. We could do just morning at HS and hop to Epcot in afternoon and skip Fantasmic. That's our only pre-planned evening activity though. That's why I planned on going back to hotel midday but does seem like a bit of a hassle...

I, personally, would skip Fantasmic for a few reasons. One - it's your first trip and you have young children. WDW is large and can be overwhelming and exhausting. I would recommend making most of your "must-do" plans for the mornings to early afternoon and play the rest of your days by ear. If H&V and Jedi Training are your must-do's, I would stick to that for the morning and go from there. Going to DHS in the morning, going back to Poly and THEN going back to DHS is a hassle. Plus Fantasmic really scared DS when he was 3 1/2. I, myself, would do this:

9/19 - land at noon, go to MK, do QS for dinner (either in MK or anywhere on the monorail). I wouldn't plan an ADR for this evening. Take the time to settle in and explore. It will also give you flexibility if the kids are tired from traveling. You will go to TH later in the week so can meet characters then.

9/20 - MK all day with the Plaza lunch ADR (I love this plan! You've scheduled your ADR early and the rest of the day you are free to explore MK!)

9/21 - DHS, H&V and Jedi Training. I would drop Sci-Fi and Fantasmic. Go back to Poly when you need a break and see what you want to do from there.

9/22 - Pool and EP day.

9/23 - AK with Tusker House. This is the only day you have park hopping planned. You may want to consider adding park hoppers when you get there. Adding hoppers to your length-of-stay ticket and only using the hopper option for one day may not be of much value.

I like DHS too even under construction. Your 4 and 7 year old will like Indiana Jones Show, Disney Junior , Muppets, Frozen sing a long if they like this( I loved it for the jokes), March of the 1st Order, Star Tours if tall enough, Jedi training, Star Wars Launch Bay with meet and greets, TOY STORY MANIA( my #2 favorite after Thunder at MK, I try to go twice), Great Movie Ride. Beauty and the Beast show, Voyage of Mermaid. And if lucky, Star Wars fireworks.

I also would cancel the arrival day ADR since you are going into a park. I think you will want some flexibility if you hit travel delays. If you were just planning pool/resort time I probably would keep it.

I would probably drop Fantasmic and Sci Fi and instead go to AK in the evening.

Have you already purchased park hoppers?

Looks good! The only thing I would consider would be to switch your HS and Epcot days. Looks like you are going during Food & Wine which will be crazy crowded on a Friday night.

I too would drop Fantasmic! It was a one and done for us and it can be scary for little ones.
I don't think you have enough time in Epcot. And we love Illuminations - it is our favorite night time activity. I would consider going back to Epcot after your rest at the Poly.
I would also cancel arrival day ADR's (DO you currently have more than one --Chef Mickey's AND Kona????) Travel day is exhausting. I would plan to have an easy QS meal at the Poly and early to bed

Last edited:
We will be there almost the exact dates with our 2 and 4 year old daughters. This is our plan.

9/19 land at mco at 11am, go to hotel (contemporary), then go to MK. I'll make 3 fast passes that aren't crucial between 4-6pm. No dinner adr bc you never know how the day will go. It's a long day. Mnsshp is that night so MK closes at 7pm.

9/20 Epcot day
Breakfast at akershus, early dinner at coral reef

9/21 AK day
Late breakfast at tusker house with rol package, this is a play it by ear to see if we make it.

9/22 MK day. Morning emh, late breakfast at BOG, afternoon pool, relax, dinner and shopping at Disney springs

9/23 HS day
Early breakfast at chef Mickey in our hotel, early dinner at 1900 Park fare

9/24 MK day
Breakfast at crystal palace, late lunch BOG afternoon pool

9/25 MK day
Breakfast at crt, dinner at san angel inn, then possibly fireworks at MK

9/26 departure day
Bon voyage brekasfast at trattoria and then off to mco

We are not doing mnsshp. I can't justify the cost when kids are so little and we already have park tickets for all our days. Won't be doing night shows other with the exception of rivers of light (unless we don't make it) and one night of fireworks. We can see the MK ones from our room.

I wanted to stay away from Epcot on the weekends during f&w

Thanks all! Seems like we have a good plan overall but will make a few adjustments- likely skip Fantasmic and play Thurs night by ear.

Anyone know if I can call and switch H&V Fantasmic package to regular H&V reservation? I don't want to lose that PPO time. Worst case will keep it and eat the extra cost- are the Fantasmic passes hard copy or via Magicband? If paper, I can pass along to another family that could use them that day.

I agree with the suggestions @DisneyWishes14 made and just want to add that you may find AK an all-day park, especially if your boys like animals/nature. Personally, I find the atmosphere at AK much more relaxed. We always end up enjoying it spending more time there than we plan.

I think you're fine not doing MNSSHP. Your kids are young and they might be out of gas for that time of the day anyway. Save it for another time.

I also agree with some of the Fantasmic comments. While its a good show, it can be a bit scary for younger kids, and its a large time commitment. Maybe swap it out for the Star Wars fireworks, which are really, really good.

First, Poly is a great hotel choice! I stayed there with my son twice when he was 4 & 5. He still talks about the place! In fact we ate at O'Hanna this spring break so we could walk around and remince a bit He is now 15. Try the dole whip at the hotel if you don't have time to grab one at MK or AK. Very yummy!

With your kids ages and being early risers I agree MNSSHP is not necessary.

I too would not worry about an ADR your first day It definitely will be an overwhelming day and last thing you need is stressing about Chef Mickey's at 7.

Its great to have one character meal set with their favs which you do at H&V at HS.

I agree that no matter how many things close at HS its still a huge draw no matter the ages of kids (my DD could ride over and over RnR, TS and ToT plus eating a TS at Sci-Fi making a full day of this park). Even with little ones its a go-to park for Star Wars and H&V. My kids really liked the Sci-Fi theming and food wasnt bad.

AK was never a full day park for us not when kids were young nor now but Pandora may change that. My kids love animals but were not interested in the zoolike AK areas because we went to our zoos alot when they were young so not novel.

MK was the favorite park for my kids when they were young and we still spend two full days in this park. I plan right side for day 1 and left side for day 2. Try to get a reservation for BOG -lunch isnt the best meal except the pork but being able to see inside of castle should be on your list and it's nice to have a sit down meal in air conditioning since it is still warm out. Try using the free touring plans reservation finder to get this lunch. I was able to get a O'Hana reservation using it.

I agree that you should just add a hopper to your one day rather than purchase a full trip hopper because its expensive.

EPCOT for us is not really a full day park especially with young children. I know many disagree but World Showcase is just not a draw for most children except the Frozen ride. Its shopping, movies in some areas and places to eat. I would stick to rides in EPCOT and, Frozen if need be, and then evaluate if you are up to World Showcase. I enjoy walking thru it getting snacks and shopping. But when my kids were little we just skipped it.

I commend you on your itinerary. It's the perfect amount of activities, pool/downtime and ADR's. First time Disney trippers usually overdue and it doesnt go well. I'm on my 7th family trip and i still have not found a balance.

Have a great time and in a flash you will be taking your 15 old back to reminisce about this fabulous trip!!

Last edited:
I agree that you should just add a hopper to your one day rather than purchase a full trip hopper because its expensive.

I commend you on your itinerary. It's the perfect amount of activities, pool/downtime and ADR's. First time Disney trippers usually overdue and it doesnt go well. I'm on my 7th family trip and i still have not found a balance.

Have a great time and in a flash you will be taking your 15 old back to reminisce about this fabulous trip!!

Thanks! My friend of a friend /travel agent is pushing so much other stuff but we definitely do not want to overdo it!

Question about adding park hopper later- if I do end up adding it, it doesn't save any money right? I have to pay for all the days. It is only suggested to add later bc I may not need it at all?

From what I understand, adding park hopper to your ticket is the same price for 1 day or all days on the ticket. Unless that has changed.

I agree to wait till you need it. I have been going without park hopper the last 2 trips. But this next trip I'm upgrading to AP.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter