Fireworks Shaming

What do these people with the dogs do during thunderstorms? Serious question. If they do nothing but complain about the fireworks that they know are going to happen, do they also just let the dogs suffer through every summer storm?

I will say I feel like some of these posts are painting everyone who sets off fireworks with the same brush as irresponsible jerks. Sure, there are plenty of those who don't take anything into account other than themselves or wanting to have fun, but we aren't all like that. We've had a ton of rain in the last week so everything is green and lots of moisture in the grass and tress this year, but in years past where things were brown and dry by now, we didn't set them off bc of the fire risk. We set ours up in an area where anything that falls will be on our property and we spend the next morning cleaning up our yard so it doesn't blow onto anyone elses property. We give everyone advance warning of what night we will set ours off so they can either watch, make sure their dogs are safe etc, bc we have several who will set outside and watch from their house. The only people or property at risk is our own. But again, we have 13 acres and there are several acres between us and the nearest house.

I will say I feel like some of these posts are painting everyone who sets off fireworks with the same brush as irresponsible jerks. Sure, there are plenty of those who don't take anything into account other than themselves or wanting to have fun, but we aren't all like that. We've had a ton of rain in the last week so everything is green and lots of moisture in the grass and tress this year, but in years past where things were brown and dry by now, we didn't set them off bc of the fire risk. We set ours up in an area where anything that falls will be on our property and we spend the next morning cleaning up our yard so it doesn't blow onto anyone elses property. We give everyone advance warning of what night we will set ours off so they can either watch, make sure their dogs are safe etc, bc we have several who will set outside and watch from their house. The only people or property at risk is our own. But again, we have 13 acres and there are several acres between us and the nearest house.

I think both sides of the camp are talking in the extreme. For instance, a lot of people here are assuming that if you complain about fireworks that you don't want them at all. Not true. I think there is some reasonableness for everyone. For me personally, if you've got 13 acres, you go for it. You aren't bothering anyone. You could probably set them off nightly and no one would care.

On the flip side, I think we can all agree that the majority of people are JUST FINE with home fireworks on the 4th of July. We can all prepare our animals, babies, water our lawns, stay up a little late to check the roof, etc. because it's expected. It's when you set off fireworks the week leading up to and the week after, nightly, over and over again, then we can't prepare, we don't want to stay up all night, some of us work, etc. that just gets tiresome and frankly disrespectful to your neighbors. So just because I complain about fireworks happening on July 2nd, July 5th-8th, doesn't make a firework-hating "Karen."

spend the next morning cleaning up our yard so it doesn't blow onto anyone elses property.
That's very nice of you, although you can't control the wind.
We give everyone advance warning of what night we will set ours off so they can either watch, make sure their dogs are safe etc,
I would have liked that last year when we were at my in-laws and while most fireworks are legal there in that county they are on 10 acres but have neighbors right next to them (the acreage is mostly front to back not side to side if that makes sense) and the nextdoor neighbor setting off M80s (which I'm not sure those are legal there) randomly was awful.
The only people or property at risk is our own. But again, we have 13 acres and there are several acres between us and the nearest house.
But even you I think can understand that generally speaking most of these firework situations are occurring within neighborhoods that have much less space between them. I live about 1 1/2-2 miles from the country (though it's still illegal since they are still within the city technically) and if your nearest neighbor is a mile away it's a lot different than your neighbor is 15 feet away (or less). Although grass fires can get out of control quickly (happens even when people are doing controlled burns).

That's very nice of you, although you can't control the wind.
I would have liked that last year when we were at my in-laws and while most fireworks are legal there in that county they are on 10 acres but have neighbors right next to them (the acreage is mostly front to back not side to side if that makes sense) and the nextdoor neighbor setting off M80s (which I'm not sure those are legal there) randomly was awful.
But even you I think can understand that generally speaking most of these firework situations are occurring within neighborhoods that have much less space between them. I live about 1 1/2-2 miles from the country (though it's still illegal since they are still within the city technically) and if your nearest neighbor is a mile away it's a lot different than your neighbor is 15 feet away (or less). Although grass fires can get out of control quickly (happens even when people are doing controlled burns).
If it were windy enough that it would be an issue, we wouldn't set them off. Because we are responsible. Just like we don't burn brush when it's windy or too dry. Even tho it wasn't windy Sunday night, we did go to the neighbors and make sure there wasn't any trash in their yard.

And yes I know that most people are complaining about the ones in town, and I completely understand that. Like I said in another post, thats why we don't live in town anymore. Too many idiots who don't care about anyone else. My point was just that there are so many comments about how ppl who set them off are irresponsible and I just wanted to point out that not all of us are irresponsible jerks. Many of us do it responsibly and think about the others around us when they do it. On the other hand, we do have one house in the area who I would not be at all surprised to find out there is a meth lab somewhere in the woods on their property. Pretty sure one day there will be a huge explosion over there. They will set them off randomly 2 months from now on a Tuesday at midnight. But thats something I accept living out in the country.

I think both sides of the camp are talking in the extreme. For instance, a lot of people here are assuming that if you complain about fireworks that you don't want them at all. Not true. I think there is some reasonableness for everyone. For me personally, if you've got 13 acres, you go for it. You aren't bothering anyone. You could probably set them off nightly and no one would care.

On the flip side, I think we can all agree that the majority of people are JUST FINE with home fireworks on the 4th of July. We can all prepare our animals, babies, water our lawns, stay up a little late to check the roof, etc. because it's expected. It's when you set off fireworks the week leading up to and the week after, nightly, over and over again, then we can't prepare, we don't want to stay up all night, some of us work, etc. that just gets tiresome and frankly disrespectful to your neighbors. So just because I complain about fireworks happening on July 2nd, July 5th-8th, doesn't make a firework-hating "Karen."
Well said. My husband works at 4:30 am. When it snows, he does not get up and fire up the snow blower before work even though he would like to. He also will not mow grass on 4th of July, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, etc. when people might be outside enjoying their yards. He doesn’t even like to do it on Sundays. So it would be nice if people could keep their celebrating to the designated days.

What do these people with the dogs do during thunderstorms? Serious question. If they do nothing but complain about the fireworks that they know are going to happen, do they also just let the dogs suffer through every summer storm?
Thunderstorms don’t bother my dog at all. They are mostly distant and more of a rumble. I’m pretty sure “Safe and Sane” fireworks would not bother her much either. The stuff being set off around here sounds like someone is setting a bomb off right outside your door. It rattles the windows. It’s one thing if it’s one day but it’s weeks at a time. My dog has spent the last three days huddled in my bathroom a total mess. Nothing I’ve tried over the years has worked for her.
If it were windy enough that it would be an issue, we wouldn't set them off. Because we are responsible. Just like we don't burn brush when it's windy or too dry. Even tho it wasn't windy Sunday night, we did go to the neighbors and make sure there wasn't any trash in their yard.

And yes I know that most people are complaining about the ones in town, and I completely understand that. Like I said in another post, thats why we don't live in town anymore. Too many idiots who don't care about anyone else. My point was just that there are so many comments about how ppl who set them off are irresponsible and I just wanted to point out that not all of us are irresponsible jerks. Many of us do it responsibly and think about the others around us when they do it. On the other hand, we do have one house in the area who I would not be at all surprised to find out there is a meth lab somewhere in the woods on their property. Pretty sure one day there will be a huge explosion over there. They will set them off randomly 2 months from now on a Tuesday at midnight. But thats something I accept living out in the country.
If they had a meth lab you’d smell it. It’s very distinct and can’t be contained easily.

I wish Pennsylvania banned fireworks. Period.
And Plenty if us who live here don’t want them to. You do realize we are a huge state with a lot of wide open farm land where it’s no issue, right? Technically the law states you need to be 150 feet from a structure, so it’s technically illegal in towns and cities anyhow.

And at 18% sales tax, the government would be stupid to roll it back.

I always wonder this. We had dogs for years. Fireworks didn't bother them. If they did, we just entertained them till they were over. I asked my neighbor just this past weekend why he is worried so much about fireworks freaking out his dog one night of the year yet he has no issue letting his dog bark anywhere from 5am until midnight every single time he is outside 365 days a year. He didn't answer me. And yes, we are friendly neighbors.

I always wonder this. We had dogs for years. Fireworks didn't bother them. If they did, we just entertained them till they were over. I asked my neighbor just this past weekend why he is worried so much about fireworks freaking out his dog one night of the year yet he has no issue letting his dog bark anywhere from 5am until midnight every single time he is outside 365 days a year. He didn't answer me. And yes, we are friendly neighbors.
FTR I can’t stand a barking dog. I stay nearby when I let mine out and bring her butt in the second she even thinks about making a peep.

If they had a meth lab you’d smell it. It’s very distinct and can’t be contained easily.
I know. I know there is a distinct smell but not easily detectable from 20 acres away. Especially when there are all the other "pleasant" county smells around. Sadly, living in the #1 state for meth (gotta be 1st at something I guess) they've gotten pretty good at hiding it and doing it on the DL.

One of my dogs completely shuts down and trembles uncontrollably during thunderstorms. He starts getting nervous with just rain and/or wind. CBD treats help a little sometimes. The thundershirt did nothing for him. He's in a full on panic the whole time. The vet never prescribed him anything stronger, either. Luckily we don't have any fireworks close by and he's losing his hearing now (he's 14), so he wasn't bothered this year.
The puppy so far doesn't seem at all bothered by storms or fireworks, which is nice.

In the Netherlands the right to set off fireworks on the 31st of December is almost sacred. Politicians do not dare to touch this topic on a national level. There have been some cities who have forbidden it, but don't have enough manpower to follow up on it.

The main reason is the amount of accidents. Not pets or PTSD. The majority here knows how to handle fireworks, but those who are careless, or sometimes just unlucky, usually end up disabled. More of an issue is people getting (illegal) fireworks in Belgium where you basically can buy bombs.

I feel no shame in setting off our fireworks. We have .8 of an acre which is the smallest lot. We live in the desert so most of the yard is landscape rock as are our neighbors. We spent an hour setting them off before the city fireworks started.

Father-in-law's wife has a great dane, sweetest gentlest dog. She is terrified of storms, they do what they can and for her she's kennel trained and that is her safe spot and a specific blanket provide some comfort but 4th of July (or whenever fireworks are going off) is storms amplified for her. My cat seems to do okay with almost all storms except for the house rattling thunder (which I share that) and very loud fireworks also gets to him but normal fireworks (like smaller ones) are okay with him. But last week into the weekend when the airshow was going on near us (with practicing too) with the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds were flying low that set him on edge and that was going for days all throughout the day, he spent a lot of time under the bed. However when the Chinook helicopters fly low (which are very common several times a day most of the time as we're on a flight path and they do a lot of training) he's fine except when it vibrates the house.

That said people bring up storms like they are supposed to be one in the same. Not all animals have issues with fireworks but have issues with storms and vice versa. Some have issues with both. This is just like humans.

Looks like I'm late to this and has already been mentioned I'm fine with them going crazy with the fireworks if they could keep them to one night or even one weekend. But, at least around here, they start around June 1 and don't stop until the end of July. I have no issue shaming people that do this all summer long.

In my area it seemed to get much busier and louder after the holiday because everyone waited for the 'after holiday sale' and stocked up. I have a feeling I will be hearing booms and bangs for a while now. The only saving grace is I'm far enough away from everyone that it shouldn't be a huge problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter