Fireworks Shaming

Where do you people live that you have people setting off fireworks at all hours for days on end? I mean, come on. I love fireworks (since I’m a normal, fun loving, non-complaining-about-everything person) and we sat in our front yard tonight and enjoyed the amazing fireworks display our neighbor put on this evening. In our area the “professional” displays aren’t until tomorrow for some reason so I was happy to have some to watch today. Instead of sitting inside complaining about the noise why don’t you go outside and enjoy the show? And stop expecting people to change their behavior and traditions because you don’t agree with what they’re doing.

It's not all hours during the day for days on the end and I think you know that. Around here it's usually Fridays and Saturdays for months before and after. The garbage gets really old between April and July then July and october.

We had 2 dogs that didn't like fireworks. So, they hid under the bed for a while. They were fine. So, these fireworks don't bother me at all, but I can certainly understand people with pets who freak out at this.

We had 2 dogs that didn't like fireworks. So, they hid under the bed for a while. They were fine. So, these fireworks don't bother me at all, but I can certainly understand people with pets who freak out at this.

The Kentucky Humane Society had volunteers stay with the animals last night and read to them and comfort them.

I have mixed feelings about fireworks this year - usually I love them - but tonight I’m sitting with my mother in the nursing home listening to her struggle for breath these last few nights and it’s been nothing but Boom Boom Boom since Friday…really, who sets off big fireworks near a nursing home…
Thanks all -

My town does a big fireworks display that I can see from my home. Due to covid it’s been cancelled the last two years. In the last two years I’ve noticed more people doing their own fireworks. They don’t bother me off but they are actually pretty and they stop at a reasonable time. And my dog isn’t bothered by them. Sometimes she confuses it with someone knocking and she barks but that’s about it.

Now my friends who live about ten minutes from me hate it. I grew up in that area and it gets bad. They set them off for a month straight and it’s not even fireworks. It’s M80s and all that crap. They are loud and they go all night. Sometimes until 5 am. One of their dogs is terrified of them. It’s too much for the police to patrol.

Just 1 city fire department's update from today "Out of 23 total responses, five residential fires were confirmed to be caused by fireworks. Fifteen small trash fires are believed to also be caused by fireworks, likely discarded while still hot."

No. It scares our dog and keeps me awake sometimes, but I wouldn't ask neighbors not to celebrate.

Several cities in the Miami area have canceled fireworks because of the building collapse in Surfside, but others are going ahead.
Our city did not post where they were being held for social distance reasons... it was annoying , only clues were no beach fireworks this year. I can not drive around guessing. So I bought fireworks at Target ... fountains , sparklers, whistles etc. Everyone was out doing the same but I know some were annoyed. Most of us were only out 9- 9:30 so it was short lived.
When you go buy " big" fireworks in Florida you have to sign that you are using them to scare birds away

People in my town light off fireworks in the middle of December, and started yesterday around 10 am. I have a dog who could not care less about the fireworks, but I wish people would keep them to just one weekend instead of year-round.

Last night the fireworks started with one of the loudest ones of the night. I got one dog who is scared of fireworks. She took off down the basement. Wife left the door open. She was taking a load of laundry down. This dog hardly ever goes in the basement. It probably scared some humans also. If your going to do fireworks don’t start with one of the loudest ones.

If only it was one night. It goes on around here for days.
yes...yes....yes. One night would be no problem - totally fine. These yahoos set them off for 5-6 nights before hand. LOUD - like serious bomb/booming noises. Police aren't interested in the least bit- too many murders and other crime to deal with to worry about noise issues.

And WHEN for the love of all things sane did fireworks become the acceptable way to celebrate christmas, new years, president's day, juneteenth and thanksgiving? It's really out of hand....why do people love to make so much excruciatingly loud noise in a quiet suburban neighborhood?

and while we're at it...GET OFF MY LAWN! lol I think I've turned into the cranky old gal on the block.

Last edited:
I have no idea if there’s a message board for our subdivision, and if there is I wouldn’t be part of it because I don‘t want to be a part of toxic complaining.

We have a lot of fireworks here and I honestly enjoy them. Last night I sat up on our pool deck for over and hour and watched them all
around me - I love it! My poor 13 year old Yorkie doesn’t love it though, so she gets wrapped up in her thunder shirt, is given a doggie downer that the vet gave me, and goes in the basement with DH to watch TV. Doing all this helps her get through the night easier than without doing anything.

For me….I don’t get all worked up about something I can’t control. People have been blowing off fireworks for years and years. Is it aggravating when people are still blowing them off at midnight - yes. But I know it’s going to happen, so I put in some earplugs and go to bed. Instead of being reactive with getting all ticked off, I get proactive to make things easier

would you feel the same way if the debris landed in your pool or yard, or your yard or house caught on fire from fireworks? Or if you missed an emergency call or someone at home needing help because you had to sleep with earplugs?

Everything but sparklers and firecrackers are illegal here. It doesn’t stop anyone. They have been setting them off nightly since the first. I worry more about fire than anything else. Fortunately I have a stucco house with a concrete tile roof, but my neighbors don’t. I am not aware of any drama, but I don’t participate in the neighborhood website.

I live next to a professional football player with a BIG EGO and a $3.5 million a year paycheck. He sets off professional grade fireworks on the 4th from 9pm-2am, (one year causing a house fire in our neighborhood). The police get called every year by several neighbors, and the police captain and his cops come to watch the illegal fireworks show from their cruisers along with others driving by. This fool gets away with it every year, and every year it gets louder to the point of jarring. When we had a dog, I had to medicate him every 4th because he injured himself getting caught under our fence trying to run away. We no longer have our dog, but I really feel for not only the pets but the wild animals in the area. There's no escape for those with PTSD, migraines, seizure disorders, and babies that can't sleep.

I love to watch fireworks and we have a show every year at our town beach for anyone who cares to go to the legal fireworks display. I just think it is unfair to have them on top of you and have to be vigilant waiting for your home to catch on fire.

This was posted on the neighborhood Facebook page today. I thought it was hilarious.

View attachment 587117

I've seen this about 150 times in the last few days. I have dogs...but my neighbors all do as well, and they all bark, and we all manage to get along. And I'm a fireworks fan...for sure. Love a great show, and will admit Disney kind of spoils all other shows for the most part. But it's been several days of these sort of "dumb" fireworks. In the meantime, I was able to get some Xanax for my dog and am trying a l
Honestly, I hate home fireworks. And as another person said, if people would keep it to one night, I think we could all deal with it. I also think they shouldn't be allowed to be done in neighborhoods where the houses are close together--we had one land on a neighbors roof and burn a huge hole through the roof one year. You live on a few acres; go for it. Plenty of parks and rec areas provide professional fireworks. Plus, they are actually illegal here but it doesn't stop people from driving down south, buying the big ones, and coming back here and annoying everyone for a week. I really just don't get it.

As for the animals, yeah, it's bad. I've got a dog right now who acts like she doesn't even hear them (thank God), but I've had previous dogs that go berserk. Again, one night, it's fine. But we are now up to night three and they go on until 2AM. I also participate in a Lost and Found Pet Page group on Facebook. They are the ones posting the warnings. Last year, the area "lost" 5 dogs due to fireworks. I know, I know, when you know they scare your dog LOCK THE DOG UP. We had a woman last night lose her new dog (under a year old) due to fireworks. Bedroom window was open, dog freaked, and bounded out the window right through the screen. She had no clue he was terrified of them; now she knows.

Same thing here. I'm involved in dog rescue in our area and we all alert each other when dogs are missing. We have two in our area still missing from last night. Newer dog owners who had gotten their dogs during the pandemic. I was lucky enough to snag some Xanax for my girl a little while ago....I'm trying her on a low dose now, because typically dogs need more than humans. So far, it's chilled her out a bit, but tough to tell because I know she's exhausted. So will give her a bit more as it gets dark. My husband is going to build her a kind of "hide-y-hole" box for tonight to see if she'd prefer that. We've been putting lots of blankets on the couch with us and she's burrowing under them. But she's really trembling all over and panting constantly, so very, very anxious. Hoping the Xanax helps. And hoping people can start to chill with the fireworks beginning tonight.

yes...yes....yes. One night would be no problem - totally fine. These yahoos set them off for 5-6 nights before hand. LOUD - like serious bomb/booming noises. Police aren't interested in the least bit- too many murders and other crime to deal with to worry about noise issues.

And WHEN for the love of all things sane did fireworks become the acceptable way to celebrate christmas, new years, president's day, juneteenth and thanksgiving? It's really out of hand....why do people love to make so much excruciatingly loud noise in a quiet suburban neighborhood?

and while we're at it...GET OFF MY LAWN! lol I think I've turned into the cranky old gal on the block.

I'm 100% turning into that person too...and I'm normally a "live and let live" type. But now, three days in...I'm also exhausted. I know fireworks going off constantly has been a thing in the city, and in other parts of NJ, but this is the first we've had days of it here. I can only imagine how many people are calling the police, mayor...etc. I only know this because all of my friends around town are like..."what the **&%!!"

My border collie was a rescue we got last year. She is smart, easily trained, and a joy - except for her fear of loud noises.
ALL fireworks are illegal here, except for professional displays. and there are several towns, close together, all having displays. BUt several of my neighbors have been shooting off fireworks every friday and saturday night since memorial day. the last two nights, of course, have been the worst. Last night, the fireworks started at 8:30 and didn't end until almost 2 AM. I spent that time with a 45 pound dog in my lap, telling her it was ok, as we listened to music. WIth especially loud Booms, she'd leap up and hide under the desk. By the way, there are playlists for "calming music for dogs" which make a difference.

I never tried a ThunderShirt, because she balks at having anything around her torso - even a harness.

The police have put up notices, on the town marquees, that fireworks are prohibited. But that hasn't made a difference. This morning, walking around, it's easy to see which neighbors were the culprits - their front lawns and driveways are covered with fireworks debris - which then blows around to everyone else's property too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter