Firework Photos

sltwinmom

Earning My Ears
Can you give me guidance on getting great shots of Fireworks. I have the Cannon Digital Reble SLR. Have not played around with the manual settings alot but do want to try to get some good shots in of illuminations and wishes when we are in WDW in January. Thanks for the help.

Fireworks shots seem to be the hardest type of shots for me to master. (Now put me in a dark hockey rink and I could stop a puck travelling 80 MPH ;) ) Before my most recent trip to WDW, I bookmarked this page for you. Hopefully, you can do bettr than I did. :confused3

Fireworks Photo Tips

First tip would be to either tripod/monopod mount the camera or rest it firmly on a wall/fence.

Depending on the effects you are after, you could then chose a long shutter speed to capture multiple firework bursts or shorter shutter speeds to capture individual fireworks - trial an error is the key. That's the beauty of digital, you can see the results straight away and if what you tried doesn't work you can try something else :)

Below is a photo from Illuminations. I hand held the camera resting on a wall and just trusted the cameras metering (Canon G1):

The best thing that I can recommend is that you bring a tripod and set the camera up for long exposures...start with a couple of bursts, set the focus, and then switch the lens to Manual Focus, now your focus point won't change...set the camera in manual, usually F8 to F11, set the shutter speed to 4 seconds, and shoot away...if the bursts are too bright (blown highlights, no color) bump the aperture (but not too much) - maybe to F16 or so...
The reason I use a 4 sec shutter speed is becuase it helps you capture more than a single burst, plus it gives the fireworks a nicer look.

You will need a tripod to do it but these settings work great for fireworks on a Rebel. Set it to manual mode. Turn the shutter speed to 1.3 seconds. Set the f stop to f/22, the ISO to 100, and set the focus to manual. You can use one of the little six inch type of tripods or just find somewhere to set the camera down where you are not blocked by people and are not holding it by hand. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the advice. Now I just need to find some fireworks around here to try them out on. :Pinkbounc I did take some on 4th of July that came out decent even on just handheld auto focus mode so I am sure the tripod will help as well as changing the settings. I'll be sure to let you know how they come out.

Just wondering if it is really feasible to haul a tripod around in the parks?

...if you don't have kids. We don't have any, so I have not had a problem. I always bring the tripod with us to the hotel, and usually carry it to the parks only when I need it. It fits inside my backpack, so it's ok on the rides. I have one of those cheap $20 walmart-jobbies for the parks. It's light aluminum and compact when the legs are put away.

poohj80 said:
Just wondering if it is really feasible to haul a tripod around in the parks?

Get a small one or get a locker. They don't weigh very much and fold up to about 20 inches. Or they sell little ones about 6-10 inches long that you can stand on a trash can. I wouldn't drag one around all day. Only for certain events which may be once a trip for me. I feel like a photo geek hauling one around but the difference that it makes as opposed to trying to hand hold a shot with long exposure times is worth it. My apologies to all the photo geeks, i envy your work.

we do have small kids, and are planning on going back to hotel for naps etc. before dinner and evening parades so I will only bring mine then. It is a small lightweight one that I can just hang the bag off of the back of the stroller. And it will only be for a few nights of our trip so I don't think it will be much of a problem.

you can use any speed film, you just need to change camera settings accordingly.....

use a tripod.... and cable release if possible

a timed exposure is best. AKA bulb setting if possible....leave the shutter open for several bursts of fireworks and have a prominent foreground.

for 100 speed film aperture between f/8 and f/11

for 200 speed film aperture between f/11 and f/16

for 400 speed film...aperture between f/16 and f/22

for 800 speed film aperture between f/22 and f/32

most people just take a quick pic and get one burst of fireworks, if you want more of an aerial display follow the above directions..

or you can always cheat, take your night time pictures and insert fireworks using your computer...

I have an exposure guide that I keep in my camera bag, that lists fireworks, stage shows, night shots..all kind of situations...you dial in your film speed and read the chart...

it's similar to this one on ebay....
exposure guide

I think a lot depends on your camera. My canon digital has image stabilization which helps a lot.

This photo was taken, hand held, in the middle of a crowd (not leaning on any supports). Exposure was something like 1/25th second, and 'film' speed was set to about 400. I left exposure set on automatic. I don't think it's too bad for a $350 camera.

Granted this is one of the better shots as they don't all come out that good. It's also a matter of timing. But the great thing about digital is you can take a large number of shots.

18721IMG_0723-med.JPG

Caskbill said:
I think a lot depends on your camera. My canon digital has image stabilization which helps a lot.

This photo was taken, hand held, in the middle of a crowd (not leaning on any supports). Exposure was something like 1/25th second, and 'film' speed was set to about 400. I left exposure set on automatic. I don't think it's too bad for a $350 camera.

Granted this is one of the better shots as they don't all come out that good. It's also a matter of timing. But the great thing about digital is you can take a large number of shots.

18721IMG_0723-med.JPG

the camera helps, but the key is proper exposure..

all cameras meter for 18% grey and will adjust exposure accordingly,

so allowing the camera to choose the exposure will give some good pictures, but some will be over or under exposed depending on the brightness of the fireworks...

starting with the guidelines I listed above will increase the number of good shots,

the pocket exposure guide is a very good investment for all photographers

I normally shoot at around f4.0 at 1/60th on 400ASA; usually works pretty well (obviously manual focus) I am still trying to persuade DW I should take a tripod into the Parks!

pmcf said:
I normally shoot at around f4.0 at 1/60th on 400ASA; usually works pretty well (obviously manual focus) I am still trying to persuade DW I should take a tripod into the Parks!

if you carry it why should she care....

perhaps a monopod as a compromise...LOL

I took the one in my sig with a Canon digital camera-- very basic model. I didn't adjust any settings for it, either.

The best tip I can give is to take loads of pictures :) Doing this you are likely to get a number of throw away shots but you also also get a few that are ok to keep :)

For our last trip I upgraded our 35mm Minolta SLR to a Dynax 7D. For Wishes and Illuminations I just kept the shutter button down for short bursts and reviewed the shots later. There were loads I discarded but some were ok :)

It really helps having a digital :teeth:

As has been said before, I *highly* recommend using a tripod to stabilize your camera during long exposures (> 1/60th of a sec). Most cameras will blur if hand-held for longer. Some cameras with Image Stabilization will let you get away with a little longer exposure, but if you want to get long ember trails or multiple bursts, you need a stable platform for your camera.

I've attached 3 pics taken at Illuminations in early October '05. The shortest was 3.5 sec, the longest, 13 sec. These were the better ones from about 50 shots taken in that 15-20 minute show. All were taken from a tripod. The specific camera settings used for each picture are shown on the image.

Illuminations 1
Illuminations 2
Illuminations 3

Edited due to fat fingers ;)

Great Shots, I hope mine will come out as well. Thanks for the info on each shot too, that really helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter