Fingerprints To Enter Park

Goofy801

Earning My Ears
I couldn't find any thread on this other than threads from 2015, but I think we have evolved since then. I know people are sensitive about the fingerprint thing and how many people have issues with it, but I was curious to understand what is kept by DIS and what it's not. In speaking with a customer service rep, they informed me that they do not store/keep our fingerprints, other than it stays with you during your trip. Since I go to the park every few months, I then asked about using different fingers, and he said it should be fine, but use the same finger for that entire stay. So it got me thinking, what if someone had my MagicBand - they can essentially use it to get into a park because they also told me that if the fingerprint didn't initially work, it would be reset - but to call Guest Relations to notify them of the lost band.

With all that said - what if my neighbor stole my MagicBand - and I never realized it. Couldn't they then use it to get into the park since they don't store my fingerprint? Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance for your help in understanding how this works.

So it's not a fingerprint per se, it's more like it assigns your fingerprint image a number and looks for the number of the image. (I'm sure I'm bungling the description)

But your magic band is pretty worthless unless someone has access to your MDE. Your neighbor would have had to steal your MagicBand and buy tickets and then link those tickets to your account.

Your neighbor would have had to steal your MagicBand and buy tickets and then link those tickets to your account.
If that's the case, OP needs to move :earboy2: I'm not aware that in the entire history of WDW the scenario described has ever happened. There's always a first time, I guess;)

Last edited:

So it's not a fingerprint per se, it's more like it assigns your fingerprint image a number and looks for the number of the image. (I'm sure I'm bungling the description)

But your magic band is pretty worthless unless someone has access to your MDE. Your neighbor would have had to steal your MagicBand and buy tickets and then link those tickets to your account.
For me, I have AP, and they are connected and active. The rep told me the MagicBand can still work without having the app, because I asked, "what if I left my phone home and didn't have the app".

For me, I have AP, and they are connected and active. The rep told me the MagicBand can still work without having the app, because I asked, "what if I left my phone home and didn't have the app".
MDE is not the "app" on your phone but the entire platform they built which is accessible by the phone app or on the web. It is the hub for all your data - hotel booking, ADRs, tickets, MBs, etc.

So yes you can not even have a smartphone and have a MB and be fine in the parks. It is depending on having an MDE account, not an app on a phone.

Yes, in theory, if you have a ticket linked to your MDE account, someone who has your Magic Band could enter the park on a day that ticket is valid. If you then try to use a Key to the World card or phone to enter that day and are rejected because the fingerprint doesn’t match, you should be able to show ID to prove the ticket belongs to you.

This would be a problem for Disney but at worst an annoyance for you. The real problem for you would come if the someone used the Magic Band to make purchases charged to the credit card on the MDE account. That should, however, require knowing a code which your neighbor wouldn’t have.

Yes, in theory, if you have a ticket linked to your MDE account, someone who has your Magic Band could enter the park on a day that ticket is valid. If you then try to use a Key to the World card or phone to enter that day and are rejected because the fingerprint doesn’t match, you should be able to show ID to prove the ticket belongs to you.

This would be a problem for Disney but at worst an annoyance for you. The real problem for you would come if the someone used the Magic Band to make purchases charged to the credit card on the MDE account. That should, however, require knowing a code which your neighbor wouldn’t have.
OK. Thanks. That's what I'm trying to figure out....whether or not someone can get into the park using the MB. The fingerprint will obviously not match, but they could reset it...unless they ask for some ID before they do that. Another response was they tied a number to our fingerprint, but sometimes our own may not match as well....cause technology!

The only way to use the MB to charge something is if you are staying on property. Even if you have an AP with a credit card associated to your MDE account, you can't use the MB to charge anything. If you mobile order, it is paid through the MDE app, not by using the MagicBand. So again, not a problem unless you have a current room reservation at a Disney resort - and correct, you would need a PIN to charge back to said room account.

I couldn't find any thread on this other than threads from 2015, but I think we have evolved since then. I know people are sensitive about the fingerprint thing and how many people have issues with it, but I was curious to understand what is kept by DIS and what it's not. In speaking with a customer service rep, they informed me that they do not store/keep our fingerprints, other than it stays with you during your trip. Since I go to the park every few months, I then asked about using different fingers, and he said it should be fine, but use the same finger for that entire stay. So it got me thinking, what if someone had my MagicBand - they can essentially use it to get into a park because they also told me that if the fingerprint didn't initially work, it would be reset - but to call Guest Relations to notify them of the lost band.

With all that said - what if my neighbor stole my MagicBand - and I never realized it. Couldn't they then use it to get into the park since they don't store my fingerprint? Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance for your help in understanding how this works.
Don't try getting into a park with someone else's Magic Band.

I forgot what finger I used when trying to enter months later that year. I lady took me aside asked my name and looked at my photo (I think, maybe my history). Then told me what finger I had used and I tried on her hand held device. The device beeped, and I was let in.

Not sure if it was really secure or if she was just making small talk with me to see if I matched my portfolio. Welcomed me back and asked a few questions about how we liked our last trip (nothing that seemed more then small talk). I had my husband and kids with me and theirs worked so she might have just reset it.

OK. Thanks. That's what I'm trying to figure out....whether or not someone can get into the park using the MB. The fingerprint will obviously not match, but they could reset it...unless they ask for some ID before they do that. Another response was they tied a number to our fingerprint, but sometimes our own may not match as well....cause technology!
DH and I accidentally wore each others MBs at the beginning of a trip. As the names didn’t match the presumed genders (think Jane and John), they had us change bands and looked at each of our IDs. I think they are on the lookout for people who might try to use someone else’s MB and ticket (most likely an AP) to avoid paying for a ticket, so I think they are very likely to spot a stolen MB.

I know this is slightly off topic, but at Universal they have a really neat system. They scan your park ticket and do a face recoginition too. The face recognition is what I think is most secure, as no one else has your face. And they do study your face to make sure it's you:) Maybe disney needs to change to some system like this.

I know this is slightly off topic, but at Universal they have a really neat system. They scan your park ticket and do a face recoginition too. The face recognition is what I think is most secure, as no one else has your face. And they do study your face to make sure it's you:) Maybe disney needs to change to some system like this.
An image of the person using the pass does get saved at Disney. I found this out while having trouble getting in on my Main Gate Pass and the pulled my picture up from the pervious visit. I guess maybe it is somewhat of a two tiered system but we only hear about the biometric scan and the pictures are for Disney only. Just a guess.

Unless they accidently scan the face of the person standing behind you on your first use of a new ap..which happened to me this week. Luckily it was caught before I walked off, but now I’m nervous every time I scan my pass…. :/

Unless they accidently scan the face of the person standing behind you on your first use of a new ap..which happened to me this week. Luckily it was caught before I walked off, but now I’m nervous every time I scan my pass…. :/
When we went, they had the one getting scanned step in front of the scanner alone. Maybe you got someone who is not very well trained. I know that I liked it and felt more secure with face scanning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter