• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Final countdown! happy and nervous!

missj171

<font color=purple>I'm not a pint swigging electri
5 days to go and I'm starting to worry, so I thought I would vent my worries on here if you don't mind!

ARRANGEMENTS!
- Tickets are booked with eurostar, to be collected from one of the ticket machines at Waterloo. Last time I had to collect a ticket (back to London) from one of these machines it didn't work and I missed my train! Because our train is so early there's no time for that, so I need to go up before Tues and see if I can get the tickets to have them in my hand where they are safe!

- Hotel in Paris (recommendid by sunday times, with good reviews on trip advisor) wanting a 50 euro deposit mailed to confirm our reservation. I mailed it last Friday and still haven't heard anything from them, I'll email again today, but I just don't want this to fall through or we'll be stuck!

GENERAL WORRIES!
- When i went to WDW last, I got so excited, spent loads of time on the Dis, and when we got to the Magic Kingdom it was a big wash out. I think because I had built it up to so much that my family members lack of enthusiasm, and stupid little arguments, ruined the day for me., despite there being loads of good moments. I'm so worried this will happen with me and DP, although we're both as enthusiastic, so that's good!

- Its also my DP's chosen 21st birthday date while we are there! (Bday is actually on 10th, but we figured why miss out on a disney birthday!) so I feel the need to make it super special for her! And I'm not sure exactly how!

And I think I'm just a bit stressed out today because a work experience placement I had been really looking forward to cancelled on me. And because the digital camera I ordered 2 weeks ago STILL hasn't turned up! I'm getting so ratty with their customer service people I tell you, they told me it would take 2 days, not 2 weeks!

I was the driving force behind this holiday, so I feel like its all my fault if stuff goes wrong! Help me chill out and feel the Disney vibe! I would watch my Disney DVDs but I've lost the DVD remote - doh!

Sorry to ramble on, feels good to vent!

To steer this back to topic - any last minute hints to give me? I wont be checking much over the weekend I don't think, so I'm trying to cram it all into my brain now!

It will be fine.
I plan the "backside" out of everything. :rolleyes:
We have watched every video and I've mentality planned each day in my head.
When we arrive I just chill as I'm planted some of the ideas on the family, although if I told them that i'd be in trouble. :)

Hopefully the camera will arrive. If not I'd cancel the order and by from Dixon's etc since there are lots of deals on at the moment.

Reid

That's what I plan on doing, Reid, they've said it will arrive tommorow (yeah, right!) and when it doesn't they know thats it and i'm cancelling! (Ill face the refund ordeal when I get back!). Ive seen some good deals on the high street so I'll go on Saturday.

The array of cameras is bewildering though. My film one has just come to the end of its life (a very sandy holiday in France started the decline a year or so ago!) so I just want to replace it with something small and practical.

But when it comes to digital cameras people seem to go all out - I would never have thought of getting anything other than a normal camera before, but now the range makes you think you need loads of zoom and tons of features! I didn't even have an APS (right 'word'?) one before! I just want one as good as my film camera but digital! I'm not fussy! (Although, obviously if it looked good that'd be nice!)

If you are looking at a decent digital camera I'd suggest look at least 3.2Megapixels. Also go for zoom, not digital zoom as this only degrades the picture.

The more Megapixels then the more the photographs can be enlarged without loss of quality but for most uses you are hardly likely to enlarge beyond A4.

Any other questions ask away?

Reid

Cyrano said:
If you are looking at a decent digital camera I'd suggest look at least 3.2Megapixels. Also go for zoom, not digital zoom as this only degrades the picture.

The more Megapixels then the more the photographs can be enlarged without loss of quality but for most uses you are hardly likely to enlarge beyond A4.

Yeah I had read that 3 Megapixels was like the lowest you can go to get good pictures to print - and no, no printing out beyond a4 needed! ITs mostly just to email/upload pics/burn to CDs for friends etc., and get an occasional few printed out that are particularly good! I cant put picture frames up with nails at Uni, so I need to cut back on the number of prints I try and blue tack to the walls of my room!

I had also read up on the optical vs digital zoom differences - digital is just like zooming in on a picture on paint right? it just makes the pixels bigger and fuzzier! (I do understand this kind of stuff a little, I just can't form very accurate sentences tonight!)

The one that is very slightly possibly coming tommorow is 3 or 3.2 MP, with no optical zoom - I was just going to see if it seemed good enough for my basic needs, of course that was when I thought I'd get in within a week!

I think you've done everything you possibly can to make sure this is a wonderful holiday so from now on just sit back and enjoy the ride. You'll have a wonderful time and everything will work out as you hope for.
Here comes pixiedust just to make sure.......... :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Thanks Diberry- that's what I needed to hear! Hoarding away the pixiedust for safety!

I just emailed the Paris hotel, lets hope they reply tommorow confirming my bed! Or else we'll be wandering the streets of Paris looking for a home!

I completely understand why you feel like this but you will have a fantastic time I'm sure, especially since DP is obviously looking forward to it too. You've planned everything and I'm sure it'll all be okay - just go there and don't worry. Don't worry that it'll be a let-down or it could end up becoming one! Just enjoy and take lots of notes for a trippie on your return!!

Don't worry, everything will be fine. I expect WDW was a bit of a disappointment due to your family's lack of enthusiasm. I was half expecting to be a little disappointed by DLRP but it was fantastic. When we arrived we had to take the luggage to our hotel and check-in was almost an hour late. Some guests were getting annoyed but what's the point, we just used the time to relax and have a rest in the lobby and people-watch. Then just as our shuttle bus got to the parks, the heavens opened and we were almost trampled by a mass exodus of yellow ponchos! But the magic was there, once we heard the Disney music it felt like we were home! And it meant that the rides in Fantasyland were a walk-on, what a bonus!!!

You and your DP will have a wonderful time, just enjoy!:wizard:

You're all right, i must just chill out and let the fun happen!

Fortunately it was only one afternoon in the MK that disappointed, we all LOVED the animal kingdom, and had wonderful times at Universal, Sea World etc. (the 'OTHER' places!!!) But for me the MK is Disney! So i think I was suffering overly high expectations! That and an inability to deal with crowds in the heat! - not such a big problem at DLRP in sept i'm guessing!

*chills*

:wave: The first time I went to DLP I didn't do any planning at all - I didn't have access to the internet so no way of accessing the mine of info from here. Boy was that a mistake. I missed soooo much :confused3 .

Well, of course I had to go back didn't I? I had to check out what I missed. :)

My digital camera is 3.2 mp and I find it more than adequate for normal photography. I took my normal camera with me as well and to be honest you could not have told the difference between the pictures at all. The only downside to digital is that it takes the camera a few seconds longer to 'recover' from taking a picture and if you are trying to take action shots you are probably better off with a standard SLR camera. Make sure you have LOADS of batteries with you. Digital cameras seem to eat them. :rolleyes:

That said, have a terrific time - you know you will anyway :wave:

missj171 said:
Fortunately it was only one afternoon in the MK that disappointed,.......But for me the MK is Disney! So i think I was suffering overly high expectations! That and an inability to deal with crowds in the heat! - not such a big problem at DLRP in sept i'm guessing!

Looks like you've picked a perfect time to go - midweek during school term!! So no need to worry about crowds, and the weather should be very pleasant.

The DLP "Magic Kingdom" is really charming - more so than WDW's. Do your basic planning, and then go with the flow - and have a wonderful time!! :goodvibes

Hope the camera arrives today!

Wondered if the camera had arrived or is it a shopping trip to town tomorrow?

Reid

No sign of it yet, the original email said they deliver after 12pm, so I'm waiting!!

Then, come 5pm it will be a ratty email to their customer service people AGAIN, and a trip to the shops tommorow!

Weather is looking good so far, BBC Weather has 24C and sunny for Tuesday!

It just arrived, and its TINY! Its about the same size as my mobile - a Samsung e800 (slidey model, if thats not the right number) which is pretty small! But thats good for me, handbag sized is always good!

I've had a bit of a play, and it seems pretty good, images are good quality and it is quite easy to use - looks like a big battery eater though!

I'm worried it will die on me half way through the trip, so going to stock up on LOADS on batteries and get a much bigger memory card! I guess sometimes you have to trust technology NOT to fail though!

Remember to look for this :goodvibes

photo16.jpg

Hope you have a fab time - look forward to hearing about it when you get back.

- looks like a big battery eater though!

What sort of batteries does it take? This may not be any use for your new camera but, just in case, I can highly recommend the Globe Trotter Pocket battery charger, which is tiny and recharges AAs and AAAs anywhere in the world.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the stone, steve!

Thanks for the battery charger link Bexx, I've already got a load of non-rechargable batteries for now, but I'll bear it in mind when I next need to stock up!

I just took some pics of the dog (she's the most photographed member of the family!) and uploaded them to the computer and they look pretty good for such a cheap camera, so I'm pleased with that! I'll be able to illustrate my Trip Report well!

Feeling a lot more positive today as the hotel people confirmed our room, and I have my camera, and I got a new work experience-type assignment so lots of things have been resolved!

Does it not come with a rechargeable battery? Every digital camera we have ever had has had one!! I thought they all came with rechargeables?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter