*Feed Your Family $10 A Day Challenge*(AT HOME)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine food shopping only once in awhile. What about fresh fruits and veggies? That alone cost about $50 a week here.

I refuse to feed my children and DH anything but the best. The children need good food for proper growth and DH works hard all day. I would never feed him junk at dinner. We eat healthy and the money we spend is well worth it. Do you realize how unhealthy most of you are eating? Mac and cheese that cost .25 a box, no thank you my kids are worth more then that, generic cereal imagine how it made read the labels.

well I feed my children according to the NYS child and adult care guideline CAFCP. ( I am a NYS certified day care provider and I work with the same program as the school lunches )the same program that is in the school. They do not care if the veggies are from a can or fresh. Also my kids are fine and the DR dose not seem to have a problem.
Dh is not pickey and he works very hard doing hard labor asbestos removal .
also one more thing to add American children are more over weight than ever. popcorn::
:grouphug:

Dh has come up with Nachos and all the dks love them!!

1 slice american cheese
1 T. Milk
1 T. Salsa

Put into microwaveable bowl and heat on high 30 seconds, stir, reheat @ 20 seconds, stir until the right consistancy.
Drizzle over tortilla chips or pretzels or veggies....YUM:cheer2:

Depending on what you serve it on, it can be as little as .20.

I love my family and we have a clean bill of health from the Family Dr.:grouphug:

I kind of agree with her sentiment as well. Maybe it didn't come out the way it was intended? I know that happens often with email.

I think the point is that we probably all eat too much packaged or processed food. And really...mac and cheese is right up there. (Not that I don't make it sometimes too.) We would probably all be better off if we grabbed a package of tofu instead. Unfortunately, it is hard to pass up a .20 box of mac and cheese. Especially when most of us do have to watch our finances.

Seriously, the number one vegetable American children eat is french fries. I doubt most Americans are getting all the fiber and protein we should each day. :flower3: I think a lot of people who say they are feeding their family healthy truly think they are but when you look at what is in our shopping carts I think we could all do a little better.

Just my thoughts.

Heather

I think what turned me off most about her comment was the reference to buying generic cereal. Personally, I buy the name brands, but only because I can get them a lot cheaper than the generic (via coupons and/or clearances at Big Lots for $1.00 or less per box).

Her comment was really very ignorant, since most generic products are no different than the name brands. They are packaged in the same plants and contain the same ingredients. In most instances, generic foods are the identical product as the name brand, except for the label. You just don't know what name brand you're getting...for example, sometimes the generic might be Skippy and other times it might be Jif.

I would love to try this or at least be more aware of what I spend a meal. I wills tart on Monday...

I think what turned me off most about her comment was the reference to buying generic cereal. Personally, I buy the name brands, but only because I can get them a lot cheaper than the generic (via coupons and/or clearances at Big Lots for $1.00 or less per box).

Her comment was really very ignorant, since most generic products are no different than the name brands. They are packaged in the same plants and contain the same ingredients. In most instances, generic foods are the identical product as the name brand, except for the label. You just don't know what name brand you're getting...for example, sometimes the generic might be Skippy and other times it might be Jif.

I buy whatever is cheaper. Given the coupons and loss leader sales, I wind up with name brands 4 times out of 5. However, I have bought generic cereals often. The trick is to read the lables. The generic rice crispies and generic honey combs taste almost identical to the name brands and the ingredients are the same too.

However, a lot of people will not buy generic. That's OK. The problem is that if you judge how much you love your family based on the price of the food you buy...well there's something wrong there.

I don't personally approve of Mac and Cheese as a staple food (though of course, I've used it in a pinch), but not because it is cheap. I do approve of rice and beans, which I can make for under $.25 per serving and oatmeal (less than $.10 per serving). It is quality that is important, not price.

I think mac and cheese is healthy- pasta- a basic food- plus cheese mixed with milk- basic,simple,and not unhealthy! I use Annies naturals - yes more than Kraft,but healthy for $1 a box....
the shots taken at generics is ridiculous of course, everyone knows most are exactly the same products in a different label:rolleyes:
the ingredients are the same quality-unless you're buying organic,free range, non irradiated.vegetarian fed, cage free,etc-no chemical/additives- or otherwise specialty- it's all equal
a box of walmart rice krispies is exactly the same as the name brand.

Hey while we are on the topic of healthy eating....Today at Krispy Kreme's everyone gets 1 free donut of thier choice in celebration of National Doughnut Day!!!! We stopped by on our way home...and they were delicious!!!(1st time we have had KK this year!!) Can't wait till next year!!

Dh has come up with Nachos and all the dks love them!!

1 slice american cheese
1 T. Milk
1 T. Salsa

I love my family and we have a clean bill of health from the Family Dr.:grouphug:

mmm....ds1 basically lives on corn chips and salsa, about 1/2 the time he grates cheese on it too....if we're out of our plain chips- he'll create a similar item using corn tortillas...it's all the same basic food- he's obsessed,and tall and skinny as a rail!(and healthy as a horse!)
I think there's processed food,and there's processed food.... yes, we can use some easy items, like the plain corn chips, but essentially they're made of corn,salt,and cooked in veg. oil. I figure the simpler the ingredient list, the better for us the food is! Kind of like the old ice cream commercial about ingredients you can't pronounce...:happytv:

I think mac and cheese is healthy- pasta- a basic food- plus cheese mixed with milk- basic,simple,and not unhealthy! I use Annies naturals - yes more than Kraft,but healthy for $1 a box....
the shots taken at generics is ridiculous of course, everyone knows most are exactly the same products in a different label:rolleyes:
the ingredients are the same quality-unless you're buying organic,free range, non irradiated.vegetarian fed, cage free,etc-no chemical/additives- or otherwise specialty- it's all equal
a box of walmart rice krispies is exactly the same as the name brand.

I don't know what's in Annies so I can't judge. Mac n cheese is pretty healthy if I make it myself with whole wheat pasta and real cheddar (high fat, but it's not such a big deal with my skinny kids), but then it is not so cheap or fast or easy.

Hey while we are on the topic of healthy eating....Today at Krispy Kreme's everyone gets 1 free donut of thier choice in celebration of National Doughnut Day!!!! We stopped by on our way home...and they were delicious!!!(1st time we have had KK this year!!) Can't wait till next year!!

Good thig DH didn't know about this today. I'm trying to feed him healthier foods, but he LOVES KK.

Ok, first of all I have to say that we live in the midwest where food and cost of living are very reasonable, other places things are easily 2X as much so if that's the case, I would love to see a $20 thread. :goodvibes

This will help me save for our impending trip!!:cloud9:

Here is an example:

Day 1.
Breakfast
1/2 box of Generic Rice Krispys(Aldi 1.29-.5=.65)
4 Cups of Milk .92
2 sliced Bananas .30
Apple Juice .50

Snack
Vanilla Wafers .33
Apple Slices .40

Lunch
Mac N Cheese .65(I add cheese,milk & margerine)
Baby Carrots w/ Ranch Dressing(.50)
Koolaid (.20)

Snack
Cheese Crackers (.50)

Dinner
Homemade Pizza
Crust (.25)
Sauce (.40)
Cheese(1.00)
Pepperoni(.50)
Salad (1.25)(Made with 1/2 head lettuce, shredded Baby Carrots/Dressing)
Brownies (1.25) (.99Mix + ingrediants)

DH Breakfast additional
2 eggs (.22)
Toast (.14)

DH Lunch
Leftovers from previous night's dinner
PRICELESS:rolleyes:

Total $9.96

This is based on averages of total unit pricing. I buy most of our food at Aldi
and I buy all of our bread at Hostess Outlet for $1.00 loaf for whole wheat bread. This is only an example, many of you will probably be able to come in under this. We also drink water most of time, the exception is breakfast.:coffee:

hahaha I am so sorry but I have teeneage boys...the above is just a snack for one of them for a day. They eat you out of house and home with the bottomless pits

I think this is pretty doable for us.

Dinner:
Box of spaghetti $.50
1/2 jar of sauce $.25
Texas Toast $1.00
Milk $1.00

= $2.75

Lunch and Snacks:

Peanut Butter Sandwich $.75
Toast with Peanut Butter $.85
Yogurt $.35
Milk $.20

= $2.15

Breakfast:
Slimfast $.80
Oatmeal $.25
Milk $.20

= $1.25

$6.15 for the day. We drink a ton of water and no idea what DH does at work. I have given up on trying to get him to pack his lunch> Dinner was especially cheap tonigh< usually runs around six dollars for us with a meat>

Great thread! While we are on the subject, does anyone know the book "Dining on a Dime"? Used to be published under the name "Not Just Beans". I reserved it from my library but wondered what others thought of it. Its described as "Southern comfort food" but that translates in my mind to high in fat, high in sugar, low in fiber.

I have Not Just Beans... I have known the author since she and I were members of the same frugality board long ago (Frugal Friends). Of course, I left it because of drama. :headache: Her recipes are great, simple, offer variety, and you can make substitutions, like whole wheat flour for white flour. You might also want to check out Amish and Mennonite cookbooks.

My family and I eat organic, natural, and mostly unprocessed foods, but healthy means different things to different people. I sure would like to have seen more fiber and produce in this challenge.

Regarding the rude comment... We're adults here (right? ;) )...there's no need to be rude about it.

The comment about the generic goods was a little off, I agree.

BUT, the idea that most of the stuff mentioned on this thread, in regards to not being the healthiest of food, is pretty fair. I am a big believer in lots of fruits, veggies and proteins and a lot less on the carbs. That is certainly not conducive to a $10 a day budget.

There are many ways a person can save, but what goes in to my body and that of my family is not one of them.

. I sure would like to have seen more fiber and produce in this challenge.

I have to agree. I did see some people with a lot of fruit in their menus. I am not trying to be rude, but how do you all have time to calculate all of this?? I kind of fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to meal preparation. I do try to budget for groceries (We started the envelope thing in April!!) but to break it down meal by meal just takes so much time.

Also, how do you all resist going out to eat? I work in an office and to go out to lunch a few times a week just feels so good!! Any tips???

I also want to add, the healthier the food, the more expensive it is. Atleast it is that way around here. Not to mention that my hubby is 6'6"...the guy isn't fat, but he consumes large quantities of food!!! LOL :lmao:

I take a whole food supplement called "Alive" it is actually fruits and veggies in dry powder form in capsules, I also add these on occasion to spaghetti sauce and meals that would mask the flavor. I know we don't eat enough veggies, especially the Dks...they are so picky, I try to add them in when I can. I have discussed this with Dr. and he says we all seem to be in excellent health. His advice expose them to variety and don't try to force it.
We love summer because of all the great fruits and love to make fruit smoothies.( I sneak in some veggies in there too.)

I have to say that I think in moderation, even Mac N cheese isn't so bad as long as we don't eat it daily. We mostly eat whole grain breads and I use whole wheat flour, wheat germ, oatmeal and wheat bran when I bake. Although I haven't found a decent recipe for homemade whole wheat bread that we like...it always is too dry or too crumby. Anyone have a good recipe for whole wheat bread??

The comment about the generic goods was a little off, I agree.

BUT, the idea that most of the stuff mentioned on this thread, in regards to not being the healthiest of food, is pretty fair. I am a big believer in lots of fruits, veggies and proteins and a lot less on the carbs. That is certainly not conducive to a $10 a day budget.

There are many ways a person can save, but what goes in to my body and that of my family is not one of them.

It is entirely possible to eat a healthy diet inexpensively! There are so many dishes which are cheap, yet high in protein and vitamins.

Admittedly, fresh fruits and veggies are VERY pricey this year because of the late frosts; however, most vegetables can still be purchased for $1.00 per bag frozen. They are almost as healthy as the fresh ones. If you can stomach canned veggies, they are even cheaper.

Beans are among the best foods for you and they are dirt cheap...especially if you buy them dry and soak them yourself (and they taste better that way too!)

You could feed a family of 4 on $10 a day and it could be very healthy. For example:
~ eggs for breakfast
~ various combinations of beans and veggies (supplemented with rice and small amounts of chicken, ham, beef, etc.) for lunch and dinner
~ inexpensive, healthy snacks

Cheap, easy, healthy...it CAN be done without processed foods.

Actually her menu didn't seem all that unhealthy to me. For a women with five kids whom she admits are picky/plain eaters at least thier cereal is not sugar laden, they are having protien and dairy, and she did put some fruit and veggies in. Kinda works for me. I have one nephew who the closest he gets to a veggie is the tomatoes in his spagetti sauce and one who thinks lettuce goes on every thing (although lettuce boy will eat raw carrots, corn, and green beans as well, and the no veggie boy likes apples. They will both eat strawberry and protien powder smoothies thanks to my brothers new girlfriend).

I will say though that a lot will change when those boys get older but I think she has a completly doable menu for the ages and appetites of her kids. I am one of those people who don't see a box of mac and cheese as the devil of the food world. I think pasta and rice are great and since most asian cultures base their diets on starches (rice or noodles with every meal sometimes the majority of the meal) and they are so much healthier than the average american, I say bring on the mac and cheese.:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter