Favorite non-thrill ride activities

Rory607

DIS Veteran
We will be traveling to Universal on spring break and are very excited! We have a teenager and a 10 year old. We have been before and know most of the basics, but we had limited time and I feel like we didn’t see everything last time.

My teen wants to do all the thrill rides and coasters, which are not my favorite. So I’ve told my H he has to ride with her, lol. My 10 year old is definitely not into the big rides. Test Track at Disney is about as big as he’ll go. So that is going to leave us with a lot of time together and I’m wondering what to plan. He loves HP and Jurassic Park, so we will definitely spend time in those areas. We didn’t do any shows last time. Are there any that we shouldn’t miss? Or other non-ride things I just don’t know about? Thanks!

Bourne Stuntacular is really good, and really unique stunt/effect show.
Horror Makeup show is good for a break and a laugh, it's a funny show and not really scary.

Really, ride-wise, there isn't too much that's a real big thrill ride at Universal. The big coasters (Velocicoaster, Hulk, Rip Ride Rocket), Dr. Doom Fearfall, and probably the Dudley Dooright log flume & Jurassic Park River Adventure fall in that category (only for the drop for the 2 water rides, if he's okay with the big drop then the rest of the ride will be fine).

The Popeyes raft ride is a lot of fun, especially watching other people get drenched. You can sometimes ride that back-to-back without getting off in cooler weather. Note that you will also be drenched (also on Dudley Dooright if you go on that). There's also a big play area where you can shoot water canons at the rafts.

Stuff like Spiderman, MiB, Simpsons, Kong - are not really thrill rides and should be fine for your 10yo.

Hagrids... I'd encourage your 10yo to give it a try, maybe after the other HP rides and in the side car - it has no real height and no upside down, but does get a lot of speed. Depending if he tried and liked Gringotts & Forbidden Journey - which I would also encourage them to try. Forbidden Journey is less "big ride" feely than Gringotts - Gringotts has a short drop at the beginning which they suspensefully imply is going to be much bigger than it really is. There are also a few other places that "feel like" falling or drops, although it doesn't really have any drops other than that first one. FJ clearly has no drops and doesn't truly imply drops, it is a moving arm carrying a row of seats that goes between various real sets/animatronics and screens. However, because of the way you are seated you can't really see the person on either side of you, so if he gets nervous he won't be able to see you much until the ride ends.

Universal Studios has more in regards to street shows, and generally more low-thrill rides than Islands.

There's also a big play area where you can shoot water canons at the rafts.
Shh - don't tell everyone...I sometimes do this for hours - always letting kids take it of course if they are around.
NOTE: Adults - they are for the kids so don't hog it - I've seen that quite a bit
Was very disappointed when it was closed for my entire trip in early March - especially since it was pretty warm as well.

OP - other than that I think CAPSLOCK covers everything I would have said.

Really, ride-wise, there isn't too much that's a real big thrill ride at Universal
I disagree, your definition of thrill ride is vastly different than mine. I would categorize about 90% of all the rides at universal as thrill rides. That's why the universal demographic is made up of a lot of teenagers.

Hagrids... I'd encourage your 10yo to give it a try
My 9 year old is about the same as the OP and almost thru up getting off the ride. He's getting better at rides but since that incident he refuses to go anywhere near hagrid's. You have to be very careful with kids if you force them on a ride that they have a bad expirence on you'll likely never get them on the ride again. I don't force my kids on any ride that don't want to go on regardless of how much I paid to get into a park.
Stuff like Spiderman, MiB, Simpsons, Kong - are not really thrill rides and should be fine for your 10yo
I would agree for these except Simpsons. Simpson's gives most people that don't have motion sickless, motion sickness so if he's boardline I would skip.

He likes Transformers.

My son is out on all the Harry potter rides, to much for him except Flight of the Hippogriff.

He tolerates Jurassic Park, he would skip it but toughs it out because he likes everything except the drop.

There's also a big play area where you can shoot water canons at the rafts.
Such a bad idea that they added NFC readers to these, now I have no idea how much I spend(not sure I want to know) just to drench people that are already drenched.......SO FUN!!!

The animal show at studios is cute. He may be eligible for the pterodon flyers ride. JP River Journey is splash mountain with dinosaurs. New Villiancon Minion ride is just stand on a dot and shoot things with a gun so it’s not scary at all. Mib ride, Kang and Kodo Twirl and Hurl , stuff in Seuss’s Landing. Hogwarts Express.

Transformers, Spiderman has same ride system, some people can get motion sickness from the screens.

I guess I'm also coming at it from an adult perspective. I'd consider "big thrill" rides as per above. If there are no lap bars, or a lap bar that covers a whole row (so a kid isn't really "secured" if there's a bigger person in the row), it's generally not a "thrill" ride (JP River Adventure is the exception due to the drop). Those would be Spiderman, Simpsons, Kong, etc. The ride doesn't get off the floor and/or is a motion simulator that doesn't physically go anywhere. That doesn't mean it's not a fun or potentially "scary" ride, but just that to me it isn't an "intense" ride.

If you're considering things like Spiderman/Transformers/Kong to be thrill rides, then yeah Universal is 90% thrill rides, and a few little kiddy rides & ET. I would expect most 10yo kids would want to go beyond the kiddy rides. If you just mean "not super intense," then it opens up the majority of rides. They're immersive and that's why you go to Universal & not Six Flags.

RE Simpsons - not liking intense rides and having motion sickness are totally different issues.

He tolerates Jurassic Park, he would skip it but toughs it out because he likes everything except the drop.
This is my "no drops" friend exactly. She does Hagrids & loves it, loves Mummy, absolutely refuses to do the log flume. I think Universal does a good job of providing a gradient where everyone can decide which is their ceiling. My mom considered Gringotts to be just past her limit because of the multiple illusions of drops/falling while in a roller coaster type seat. Did not try to get her on Mummy, it wouldn't be her cup of tea. But she liked Simpsons/Kong/Transformers.

Agree with PPs that the shows are worthwhile- Hollywood Horror Make-up, Animal Actors and Bourne Stuntacular.

I also suggest meeting a Raptor in Jurassic Park. I had a great time meeting Blue last trip. Sometimes it is a baby raptor that meets- you can ask at the entrance which one is meeting when. (There will be someone there to video and take pictures with your cell, so you can join in the fun.)

If your 10 year old really likes HP and you have two mornings to spare (and especially if you are eligible for EE)....
I suggest using the first hour of each park's opening exploring the Wizarding World while everyone else jumps in ride lines. On our recent trip (Presidents Day week) we arrived at the turnstiles 50 minutes before they would open for us (one day at each park). After being let in, we went right to Diagon Alley/Hogsmeade to walk around, The theming is so much easier to appreciate (both outside and in the shops) when there aren't people everywhere. I noticed so many things that I missed on our last trip. We used our interactive wands to cast spells with no one else around and went to Florean Fortescue's with NO line. That waffle cone was a divine breakfast. (If I could only afford one early morning for wandering, I would choose Diagon Alley.)
ETA on our Hogsmeade morning, I don't think we got to the turnstiles quite that early....but we were definitely there well before they began letting people in. On our Diagon Alley morning, we were 2nd in line at our turnstile.

Camp Jurassic is a sizeable play area with climbing, caves and interactive effects. Even if you hit it last trip, should be a fun way to spend time.

Last edited:

Bourne Stuntacular is really good, and really unique stunt/effect show.
Horror Makeup show is good for a break and a laugh, it's a funny show and not really scary.

Really, ride-wise, there isn't too much that's a real big thrill ride at Universal. The big coasters (Velocicoaster, Hulk, Rip Ride Rocket), Dr. Doom Fearfall, and probably the Dudley Dooright log flume & Jurassic Park River Adventure fall in that category (only for the drop for the 2 water rides, if he's okay with the big drop then the rest of the ride will be fine).

The Popeyes raft ride is a lot of fun, especially watching other people get drenched. You can sometimes ride that back-to-back without getting off in cooler weather. Note that you will also be drenched (also on Dudley Dooright if you go on that). There's also a big play area where you can shoot water canons at the rafts.
Popeyes has been closed for maintenance, supposed to reopen today but the app still says closed

Mardi Gras runs through April 7. Besides the parade it seems there are always parade characters out and about interacting with the people.

The mystic fountain in IOA is fun to talk to. (He may get wet) I think the time it is available to talk is in the app. It is also fun to just watch the interactions with other kids.

There are frequently characters out for meets in both parks. In IOA at superhero island a bunch of them ride down the street on their vehicles before meeting. In US there is a rotating cast of transformers to meet.

The events, shows, and character meets are listed in the app. The beat builders show in US is fun to watch.

Last edited:
@Rory607 Is your 10 year old okay with motion simulators? Is he okay with Soarin'?

If he loves Harry Potter, do the castle tour. You go through the full line at Forbidden Journey (so you see multiple spaces within Hogwarts Castle, even those you would miss if you went through the Express Line), but then when you get to the front of the line just before the ride, you tell them you do not want to ride and they will direct you where to go. (Unless you think he can tolerate Forbidden Journey. Based on what you described, I'd say it is a maybe leaning towards no).

If he's a Simpsons fan, walking around Springfield can be fun.

As for shows, Horror Make-up is enjoyable. It's funny, not scary. There are two Harry Potter shows at each park. There's a Blues Brothers show, there's Beat Builders, which is musical construction workers (kind of like STOMP outdoors), and while there may be others those are the ones that I have seen that are still happening. There used to be an acapella show, but it doesn't seem to be listed on current websites.

It's not nearly as extensive as Disney, but there are some characters out and about. I saw Scooby Doo characters on my last trip. There may be a parade depending on the exact dates of your trip.

I'm a ride coward too and I've never had a problem finding fun things to do while my friend does the more intense thrill rides. As long as he's okay on motion simulators (like Star Tours), there should be plenty he can do. (Minion Mayhem, VillianCon, ET, King Kong, Jimmy Fallon, Men in Black-this has some spinning, Hogwarts Express-ride both ways if you have Park Hoppers, because it is different in each direction, Kodos and Kang, Simpsons-not a thrill ride, but might cause motion sickness)

Last edited:
@Rory607 Is your 10 year old okay with motion simulators? Is he okay with Soarin'?

If he loves Harry Potter, do the castle tour. You go through the full line at Forbidden Journey (so you see multiple spaces within Hogwarts Castle, even those you would miss if you went through the Express Line), but then when you get to the front of the line just before the ride, you tell them you do not want to ride and they will direct you where to go. (Unless you think he can tolerate Forbidden Journey. Based on what you described, I'd say it is a maybe leaning towards no).

If he's a Simpsons fan, walking around Springfield can be fun.

As for shows, Horror Make-up is enjoyable. It's funny, not scary. There are two Harry Potter shows at each park. There's a Blues Brothers show, there's Beat Builders, which is musical construction workers (kind of like STOMP outdoors), and while there may be others those are the ones that I have seen that are still happening. There used to be an acapella show, but it doesn't seem to be listed on current websites.

It's not nearly as extensive as Disney, but there are some characters out and about. I saw Scooby Doo characters on my last trip. There may be a parade depending on the exact dates of your trip.

I'm a ride coward too and I've never had a problem finding fun things to do while my friend does the more intense thrill rides. As long as he's okay on motion simulators (like Star Tours), there should be plenty he can do. (Minion Mayhem, VillianCon, ET, King Kong, Jimmy Fallon, Men in Black-this has some spinning, Hogwarts Express-ride both ways if you have Park Hoppers, because it is different in each direction, Kodos and Kang, Simpsons-not a thrill ride, but might cause motion sickness)
Well, I thought he would like Soarin and he rode it for the first time last year, but it was an epic fail🫠 He was terrified the entire time he was going to fall out. You listed some great suggestions for other options, thank you! We’ve been before and he is pumped to go back, even though he knows there are a lot of rides he doesn’t want to do. He loves the Minion ride and is excited for the new Minion attraction. And he also loves souvenir shopping, so I’m sure we’ll spend plenty of time in the shops.

Well, I thought he would like Soarin and he rode it for the first time last year, but it was an epic fail🫠 He was terrified the entire time he was going to fall out. You listed some great suggestions for other options, thank you! We’ve been before and he is pumped to go back, even though he knows there are a lot of rides he doesn’t want to do. He loves the Minion ride and is excited for the new Minion attraction. And he also loves souvenir shopping, so I’m sure we’ll spend plenty of time in the shops.

In that case, skip the actual ride Forbidden Journey. The queue is an experience in and of itself. The Castle tour is something I recommend for all Harry Potter fans. He should be okay on most of the simulator rides I listed, especially if he likes the Minion ride.

- Make sure you have the Universal App so you can sync your Minion Blaster to it, you get mini missions that way that make the game more fun. My 12 and 8 year olds loved it.
- Ask about the immigration tour at MiB
- Check out the raptors hatching inside the Jurassic Park discovery center. You might get to name it!
- Meet Blue. The raptor trainer we had was hysterical.
- Meet Optimus Prime/Bumblebee.
- Harry Potter wand shop experience if you haven’t done it already.
- Adopt a Pygmy Puff at Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes
- Gringotts Money Exchange. Chat up the Goblin behind the desk.
- Marvel Character Dinner
- Seuss Playground
- High in the Sky Trolley

Really taking the time to explore all of Diagon Alley is so fun, and can take a while. Go through Knockturn Alley, get some ice cream at Florians, either do, or watch others doing spells Also agree, if you can spare a morning, to go early, before it gets crowded back there.
Also, walk the FJ queue, even if not riding, just let others go past you. There is SO much to look at. If you don't mind spoilers, there are some great videos on all the Easter eggs in the Wizarding world.
Also agree with the meet and greets. We didn't take the time, but we did see the characters from Madagascar meeting, Scooby and gang, all of them, the Transformers, DD saw a few near Minions, and Wolverine and Cyclops in IoA, etc. Make some time for those if y'all like meeting and greeting.
Not sure when y'all are going for spring break, but it was VERY busy this past week. Just be prepared for crowds as the day goes on.

Shows:
Sadly, there are only 3 big shows left open.
  • Animal Actors
    • Highly recomend. This is my favorite show of the 3. It's a comedy show with real animals (mostly dogs) up on stage doing some basic stage tricks, like landing a mark or playing dead. They take a couple of kids up to participate as well.
  • Horror Make Up Show
    • It's campy horror, done in an over the top comical way. It's meant to be overly fake, but there are some grusome scenes up on a screen, some fake blood on stage, and some "jump" parts that would be obvious to an adult but maybe not a 10 year old that scares easily. Check out some threads about this one before deciding. I can see it going either way with a kid.
  • Bourne Stuntacular
    • Really just a lot of running around the stage climbing on stuff and choreographed fight scenes. It shouldn't be scary at all, and I would think a 10 year old would love the action adventure of it. Think the Indian Jones Stunt show at Disney, similiar stunts and style of acting to that.

Tame Attractions:
Island of Adventure

• Cat in the Hat Ride
  • Carassousel
  • One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
    • This is like Dumbo if he shot water at you while you ride. When the kids were 11, they loved this becuase it's a game of trying to avoid getting sprayed by jets of water or in their case driving the vehicle intentionally into the water and ducking, so I got wet instead of them.
  • High in the Sky Trolley Train
    • This a very tame slow moving ride, but it is up high if he is afraid of heights.
  • Storm Force
    • Teacups
  • Kong
    • The theme might be scary, but it's just riding in a large safari style bus. I'd have him sit in the middle and close his eyes if the action and monster creatures or dinosaurs are too much.
  • HP Wand Show
  • Flight of the Hippogriff
    • This is a kiddy coaster that goes up and down a few hills and curves, nothing upside down or backawards.
    • It's only about about 40 seconds long.
    • It might be too high, though, if he is scared of heights, so look at that before getting in line.
Universal Studios
  • Despicable Me Minion Mayhem
    • This is a 4-D show.
    • If motion sickness might be an issue, you can ask to sit in the non-moving benches up front.
  • E.T. Adventure
    • Slow moving ride, but you are in a hanging vehicle similiar to Peter Pan. Your feet do not dangle, but if heights are in issue, it may not work.
  • Fast & Furious
    • Same ride as Kong, just a ride in a big bus.
  • Villian-Con Minion Blast
    • This is an arcade style shooting game that I think would appeal to 10 year old boys quite a bit.
    • There is an app you can put on your phone that adds challanges and gives you special ammunition and adds other personalized touches to the game. It might be worth looking into that for him. I could see spending quite a bit of time here with a 10 year old.
  • Kang and Kudos
    • Another Dumbo-like ride, but no water with this one.
    • The kids found this one underwhealing without the added fun or the water fountains that the Dr Seus ride had.
  • Men in Black
    • Another arcade style shooting game, but you sit and shoot at real 3-D targets instead of screens.
  • Race Through New York
    • Another 4-D movie, but tamer than Minions are far as the special effects and movement.

Non-attraction Based Ideas:

1. Photo opps in Toon Lagoon.

- There are so many great Easter eggs and fun details to take in in this area that most people just walk right past.
- Take time to explore the outsides of the buildings in this area. Lots of fun places to pose for fun pictures.
- Check out the board walk area with all the campy jokes and silly puns.

2. Take a Look at the Playground Areas
- If I Ran the Zoo in Dr Seuss Area - This is a fun area to walk through even if you don't have little kids. There are lots of fun details and hands-on-exhibits to take in here. The area is themed as a game where you are trying to find the hidden animals. Usually finding them involves a hands-on activity that sets off an animated response from the animal you find. This area also features water, so be prepared for a 10 year old to soak themselves. You can walk through and easily never get wet, though. It's intentional if you run into the fountains.

- You may also want to check out the fish pond near this play area. If you manage to toss a coin into the fishes mouth, it does something. I can't remember what exactly, but it's a cute surprise, and all the money from the pond goes to charity, not Universal.

- Go up to the back side of Me Ship the Olive in Toon Lagoon, and there are free water guns you can fire on riders as they float past on the raft ride.

- Camp Jurassic - A lare play ground with bridges, slides, and water fountains. It's a bit of maze. A little-known feature of this area the caves at the back. The caves are pretty cool with water falls and rivers flowing through them all lit different colors. It's a fun place to explore. More opportunities for a 10 year old to get soaking wet as well here.

3. Check out the Discovery Center
If you go downstairs, you’ll find a dino-hatchery complete with baby animatronic dinos who hatch from the eggs there every so many minutes. They pick a different person to name each new baby dinosaur when it hatches. It’s pretty cool to see. There are also a number of hands on activities in this area, for instance you can x-ray dinosaur eggs here.

4. Dino Meet-N-Greet
If JP is a favorite, there’s a dino meet and greet you’ll want to check out. There are actually 2 different dinos you can meet a baby (older than the one at the dino center, more like a toddler) and a grown dinosaur, so might be worth doing it twice or sticking with the baby if the adult might be too scary.

5. Find your family crest at the little store in the Lost Continent.

There is a small gift shop on the left past Mythos that has a sign with all the family crests on it. Most people miss it. The kids enjoyed looking up their last name and finding which crest would be theirs when they were around 10.

6. People watch at the Fountain in the Lost Continent.

- This is such a fun entertaining activity, but don't get too close unless you want to get wet. It's not always on, so sometimes you have to check back a few times before you catch him interacting with people. You can talk to him and ask him questions. Kids enjoy antagonizing the fountain so that it tries to spray them with water.

7. Google some Easter Eggs before you go and look for them around the park. I've created scavenger hunts for the kids before, and we've spent fun afternoons with them running all around from one fun location to another that they would normally never pay any attention to.
- The love birds at port of entry in Island of Adventure. (You can hear them tweeting.)
- The Mythos troll. (He roars under the bridge)
- References to old movies and attractions like Jaws.
- The phone booths. (You can interact with all of them by dialing specific numbers. Most people only know about the red HP booth.)
- Listen at doors, try handles, look in windows, look up at ceilings, etc.
- The Berlin Wall behind Hard Rock.
- Really look around the Seuss area. Find Horton's eggs. Look around inside the circus tent. Take a stroll through the Truffula trees and listen at the yellow "pipes" to hear the story of the Lorax. Lot's of great opportunities in this land to really just stroll around and take in little details. Try green eggs and ham.
- There are tons and tons more than the above. Have fun exploring.

8. Meet and greets with characters
There are a lot of different characters you can meet and take pictures with and unlike Disney there isn't typically a long line to do so. Some meet on the street and some in gift shops or special meet-n-greet locations.
  • Betty Boop, Popeye, and Olive
  • Spider-Man, Captain America, and X-Men, Marvil Villains
  • Dr. Seuss characters
  • Scooby Doo, Hello Kitty, Doc Brown
  • Simpsons
  • Minion characters
  • Marilyn
  • Sponge Bob
  • Transformers

9. Watch the different street performers at Universal Studios

Highly recommend catching The Beat Builders show.
The Vamos! - Bailalo show seemed very lively and quite popular as well when were there with lots of kids joiing in and dancing.

10. Secret Attraction Tours
There are around 10 different free backtage tours that Universal offers for different rides around the park. There's no gaurantee that they will be offering an attraction tour on any given day, but it never hurts to ask. Since he likes JP, you might ask about the VelociCoaster Tour which would let him see some of the ride queue and backstage areas of that ride. If he likes cars, I have heard people say that the Fast & Furious: Supercharge Tour is actually better than the ride. The Men in Black Immigration Tour is also great. You get to go down on the floor area and register yourself as an arriving alien. You get to list your name and what planet you are imigrating from.

https://touringplans.com/blog/universal-orlando-behind-scenes-attraction-tours/

11. Check out Fun Themed Snacks
The bakeries in different areas have some really fun themed desserts, and there are a number of unique snacks to be found around the parks as well like Minion banana flavored popcorn, speciality HP ice cream, pumkin pasties, and giant pink donuts. You can even get official Dole Whip in each park.

12. Explore Harry Potter

If you are into HP, make sure to take time to explore. Listen at doors, go down alleyways, look around, especially up. Lots of fun things happening up top of buildings and around the ceilings of stores. There are tons of Easter Eggs hidden all over.

See below for list of interesting things to do / look for. In no certain order:

HP - Universal Studios
  • Make a "magical" phone call in the phone booth before you enter
  • Photo opportunity at the double decker bus
  • Watch the windows outside the entrance of Diagon Alley
  • Make sure to look up when you are in all the stores. There are some cool things on the ceilings and up high.
  • Look for the extra hidden wand spots, not marked on the map. There's 3 I know of.
  • Listen at the fake door fronts to hear what's happening inside.
  • Watch the windows for magic.
  • Check out the mirror in the robe shop.
  • Eat in the Leaky Cauldron and check out the sign closely.
  • Check out the animals for sell in the windows of the pet shop, especially the snake.
  • Visit the goblins to setup an account and exchange muggle money for wizard money
  • Eat ice cream at Florean Fortescue's
  • Keep an eye out for the dragon, good photo opp if you time it right
  • Explore the cases in Borgin and Burkes carefully, but watch out for dark artifacts, especially the vanishing cabinet
  • Check out the tattoo parlor in knockturn alley
  • Check out the Tales of Beadle the Bard show.
  • Do the castle only tour.
HP - Hogwarts Express
  • Hang back and you can take a video of your son going through the brick wall at platform 9 3/4
  • Ride both ways. There's a different story each time.
  • Watch both the door and window.
  • Photo opportunities with train, luggage, and Hedwig depending on crowd levels
HP - Island of Adventure
  • Find Moaning Myrtle
  • Photo opportunity with the train and conductor
  • Send a letter or postcard by owl post. Make sure to bring stamps with you or you will pay a fortune.
  • Eat in the 3 Broomsticks
  • Look up outside the restaurant near the owl post to see all your couriers
  • Check out all the windows here as well
  • Do the tour only option at least once for FJ to give you time to hear the story and take in the details
  • Ride Flight of the Hippogriff if for no other reason than to walk through the queue
  • Visit Honeydukes - candy quills that write, chocolate frogs, cauldron cakes, pumpkin pasties, and much more
  • Get a Butterbeer ( 3 kinds, regular, frozen, and hot)
  • Good photo ops in the ally behind the shop, low traffic area, nice candy window display
  • Good photo ops with snowmen.
  • Good photo opps on the bridge that goes behind the 3 broomsticks. Bridge not accessible from inside the HP area. It is a bypass bridge that lets you skip over HP and cut across the park.
  • Check out the choir performance on stage and the photo opp afterwards

We will be traveling to Universal on spring break and are very excited! We have a teenager and a 10 year old. We have been before and know most of the basics, but we had limited time and I feel like we didn’t see everything last time.

My teen wants to do all the thrill rides and coasters, which are not my favorite. So I’ve told my H he has to ride with her, lol. My 10 year old is definitely not into the big rides. Test Track at Disney is about as big as he’ll go. So that is going to leave us with a lot of time together and I’m wondering what to plan. He loves HP and Jurassic Park, so we will definitely spend time in those areas. We didn’t do any shows last time. Are there any that we shouldn’t miss? Or other non-ride things I just don’t know about? Thanks!
Congratulations on your trip to Universal:)
I am not big on thrill rides too, so I know what you mean. I agree with a lot that Capslock said, except about Hagrids. I thought it would be a calmer ride than it was. It goes very, very fast at times with twists and turns. That was unexpected to me, but it was fun. Would I ride it again? Probably not. It was too much for me and I think it would be too much for your 10 y/o. But everyone is different and you know what your kids can tolerate.
Forbidden Journey was definitely one that I would not recommend. I did it once and I felt like I was going to fall over backwards at times. It jerks you around a lot too. I never get sick on a ride but that one made me queasy for an hour after. The Gringotts ride was fine for me. I didn't have a problem with it and it is very immersive.

Those are the only ones I would recommend staying away from, plus the others that Capslock mentioned.
But that is just my experience and I know what I can and can't tolerate. Have a great time:)

I highly recommend the Bourne Experience. We saw it 3 times in 2 days and it was great. Also the Horror makeup show is a lot of fun too.

If he loves Harry Potter, then the lands are great! They are so immersive and you feel like you have stepped in to the movies or the books. I could spend a lot of time there, and I did on my last trip. Be sure not to miss Knockturn alley. It is easy to miss. These areas are so amazing, that if you love HP like I do, then you could spend lots of time happily being there:)

We had a wonderful trip and thought I would give a recap. I was concerned about being split up for so much of our park time and missing time with my DD, but it worked out fine. My DS and I spent lots of fun time just exploring and enjoying both HP sections. There is so much fun detail and it’s easy to miss it when you’re rushing from ride to ride. We all went through the castle together, then he and I just exited without riding. That was absolutely worth it and I’m so glad we took the time.

We also spent time in JP in the play area and Discovery Center. We saw a baby dino hatch, which was a highlight for him. He wanted to do Pteranadon Flyers, but the line was typically about 40 minutes and he wasn’t willing to wait, so we skipped it.

His other favorites were Spiderman, Fast and the Furious, Dr. Seuss trolley, both Minions, E.T. (my personal favorite). We saw the Animal Actors show, which was super cute. My DD got chosen as a volunteer, which was fun! I kept trying to get to Horror Makeup and Bourne Spectacular, but the kids wanted to do other stuff, so hopefully next time.

We all did early entry a couple of mornings, which helped my DD and H get on bigger rides without express pass. The other mornings DS and I took it easy met up with them a bit later. We were at the opening of US one day and rode so much without waiting. We didn’t plan it that way, but it’s a good strategy since most people are at IOA for early entry.

I love going to see the various entertainers throughout the park Celestina Warbeck and her Banshees are one of my favorites. I go see her anytime I can. There are also the Beat Builders in the New York area. Very good. As well as Marilyn has a little show. I love the dancers costumes so much.

For gentle rides there is the Seuss Trolley in the sky. Also ET. I think once they open the dreamworks section in the Studios I think there were more non thrill activities.

Also I really like Camp Jurassic. Just a cool playground area with lots of caves and areas to explore. Diagon Alley is just a fun place to explore.

And I will never say no to a good gift shop.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter