Favorite Lounges/Bars at DLR?

erinch

Parsing the same ee cummings poem for 20 years
I get to go to DLR for a solo trip 6/26-29.

I have a WDW AP and my happily places are Nomad Lounge, Baseline Taphouse, Jock Lindsey, Boathouse, Victoria Lounge…if you know those places.

Favorite spots in the parks, DTD or hotels?

Outside of the parks but in the resort:
-Trader Sam's, of course! and Tangaroa Terrace as well. Love the vibe and CMs are very friendly.
-Ballast Point for beer and a bite. You order food and beverages (beer and wine) from your phone so don't waste time waiting for them to bring you a menu like I did, LOL
-Hearthstone Lounge in GCH. Lots of nice spots to sit. Table, couches, even a little fireplace.
-Crafstman Bar in GCH. It's by the pool and has a really nice outdoor area, though someone mentioned a few days ago that there was a loud band when they were there one evening.
-I used to like Jazz Kitcen but I've not been since the remodel. Nice people watching from upstairs balcony.
-Most people like Naples as it has a nice outdoor area with a good vibe. I just find it pricey with poor service (unless I'm with a man!). The pizza is quite good.
-Napa Rose-I don't care for this place. I always get poor service and it's an expensive snub. Great food, though.
-Great Maple at Pixar Place Hotel. I had a drink and a sandwich there recently and it was good. Not really a "lounge" type atmosphere and pretty pricey, but up there I guess with just about everything else.
-I haven't tried the new lounge at the DLH yet.

DCA:
-MK Lounge, though you need to be with someone with a MK. It's great as long as you order from the menu. They don't know how to make other drinks or don't have the ingredients in my experience. I like the food.
-Lamplight Lounge (it has been hit or miss for me). When it's good, it's really good, and the atmosphere is fun.
-Carthay Lounge. There is a nice indoor bar area and the patio seating is also good! Small plate food items.

Those are all the ones I've tried in DCA. There are lots of kiosks and such but I've not gone that route.

DL:
-Blue Bayou is always fun (for me!)
-Oga's Cantina--not a big fan of that one. It's usually crowded and there isn't a lot of seating so most people are standing up. I've heard you often get put with people you don't know if you have a table.

Those are the places I know.

I would say that Sonoma terrace is pretty similar to baseline tap house. It’s got a Bavarian pretzel and beers/cocktails. We like to sit in that area, but it can be really hard to find a seat.

I wish Disneyland had something similar to nomad lounge. We absolutely loved it there. Great food, drinks and service. We sat outdoors and could see the character boats go by.

I agree with DizMe on a couple of places that I am familiar with.

Lamplight - great atmosphere, great views, great Old Fashioned.

Oga's - Meh on the food and drinks. I probably won't go back. Does have a cool vibe. And I will confirm they will seat you with other ppl in a booth and it can be awkward.

Wine Country - had the most wonderful steak in January

Adding on to the previous post...

The biggest difference between WDW and DL bars is that DL is very focused on outdoors. Almost all of the lounges are either entirely outdoors or mostly outdoors.

The drinks at Palm Breeze Bar (Villas at Disneyland Hotel) are very good and friendly service. It's still a hidden gem. It's all outside and it's a wind tunnel there (heaters around if it's chilly--and it actually can get cold at night in Anaheim in June).

Tangaroa Terrace/Trader Sam's is a great atmosphere and often has Hawaiian style music at night.

I disagree with Napa Rose review above---we've always had great service.

In parks--no question, the Lamplight Lounge is the best restaurant and best bar in DCA or Disneyland. Limited menu but delicious. Honestly, better food than Carthay Circle. Lamplight has never been hit or miss for me---just hits.

We haven't tried the new Downtown Disney Mexican restaurants but I've heard great things about Centrico (which sits in the middle of Downtown Disney) and is great for people watching.

Have a great time!

Echoing the Trader Sam's love!

Carthay Circle is my absolute favorite bar (and restaurant) in either park.

Disneyland Hotel has two hidden gems, both new. The Palm Breeze Bar that @rtravels mentioned; and we visited the Disneyland Hotel Lounge last month and had a great time. Live music and has a similar feeling to the lounges on Disney Cruise Line.

Echoing the Trader Sam's love!

Carthay Circle is my absolute favorite bar (and restaurant) in either park.

Disneyland Hotel has two hidden gems, both new. The Palm Breeze Bar that @rtravels mentioned; and we visited the Disneyland Hotel Lounge last month and had a great time. Live music and has a similar feeling to the lounges on Disney Cruise Line.
Is the Disneyland hotel lounge the old steakhouse 55 lounge? We tried to go in March and it wasn’t open.

We have always been WELL taken care of at the Napa Rose Bar and/or Lounge...I agree the table service restaurant is a shell of its former glory but Lounge has been our go to for appetizers, drinks, and desserts at the end of the night.

Trader Sams and Olgas to me just feel like an over rated attraction and not a place to kick back for a drink or relax.

We have always been WELL taken care of at the Napa Rose Bar and/or Lounge...I agree the table service restaurant is a shell of its former glory but Lounge has been our go to for appetizers, drinks, and desserts at the end of the night.
I didn't realize you could just go to the bar! Do you have to have a reservation? A long time ago, they had a different arrangement and we used to sit near the back of the restaurant and have appetizers/drinks but I thought they'd gotten rid of that type of dining. I'm so glad to hear you can still do it. It would be a nice way to close out the day and we often stay at GCH.
Trader Sams and Olgas to me just feel like an over rated attraction and not a place to kick back for a drink or relax.
That's exactly what it is, although IMO not over-rated. It's just a really fun way to hang out for a little while with others having fun. I like the food, drink, and atmosphere, but it's definitely not a quiet place to relax, which is usually what I prefer. Hearthstone is probably my favorite for that, at least until I try the bar at Napa Rose!

I also want to add that for whatever reason, the service at many of the above places--particularly the high-end places-- is often dramatically different when I go with my husband than when I'm with a friend/daughter/sister. It's like we're semi-invisible sometimes.

I didn't realize you could just go to the bar! Do you have to have a reservation? A long time ago, they had a different arrangement and we used to sit near the back of the restaurant and have appetizers/drinks but I thought they'd gotten rid of that type of dining.
I have not been to the parks in a few months but yeah, most of what was the lounge area pre-shutdown has since been taken over by table service but there are still a few lounge seats available in the back corner...those and the bar were still first come first serve last time we were there.

Trader Sam’s at the Poly is a near impossibility involving high- level strategic planning. Hoping DH Sam’s is easier for a walk up. ADRs long gone by the time I started planning. At Ogas in Hollywood studios smart people only go at park close for a more chill vibe —great bartenders when standing at the bar—and then you get to walk out in a beautifully lit empty park . I’d like to stop in the DLR one simply to have been both places and because the food at HS is horrid.

Thanks for all the input. Any starters or bar bites that are standouts?

Last edited:
Yes, but only the front lounge area of Steakhouse 55. Not sure when it opened exactly, but it was open March 29 when we went.
Good to know!! We were there March 18th and saw a bunch of Disney suits in the area. But when I asked they said it wasn’t open. We miss steakhouse 55 and the lounge so much!!

What's the latest you can walk into a bar/lounge such as Oga's, Lamplight, the bar at CC and still get served in the evening?

My top choices for a bar/lounge @ DLR are: Carthage Circle Alfresco, Trader Sam’s, Hearthstone Lounge, Craftsman Grill and Napa Rose. These lounges would all be unique to DLR. Oga’s would be very similar to WDW and I find the drinks to be way too sweet.

Trader Sam’s at the Poly is a near impossibility involving high- level strategic planning. Hoping DH Sam’s is easier for a walk up. ADRs long gone by the time I started planning. At Ogas in Hollywood studios smart people only go at park close for a more chill vibe —great bartenders when standing at the bar—and then you get to walk out in a beautifully lit empty park . I’d like to stop in the DLR one simply to have been both places and because the food at HS is horrid.

Thanks for all the input. Any starters or bar bites that are standouts?
The fried green beans at Trader Sam's are really good! We have had the burger and liked it too. It comes with bacon and pineapple, but you could omit either. Also, I swapped the sweet potato fries for regular ones.

I love those beans, and the pineaple burger is one of my go-to's also.

Has anyone had the green beans at Trader Sam's recently? I read somewhere else that they changed them from long beans to regular green beans with a different coating, so they're different.

Has anyone had the green beans at Trader Sam's recently? I read somewhere else that they changed them from long beans to regular green beans with a different coating, so they're different.
Ugh, you're right! I just googled it and they did change them, and it seems from the feedback that they inferior to the originals in every way. Dang!! And what's more, they've taken away the Rongo salad!
"Trader Sam’s has changed out Panko Crusted Long Beans for run of the mill Tempura fried green beans and taken Rongo Salad off the menu."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter