FastPass of the Future? Will DVC be a segment?

kathleena

<font color=FF99FF>Because everyone needs a Fairy
This is being discussed on another website - Disney has filed an application for a patent for expansion of FastPass.

Sound like they are trying to cover all their bases for any dreamed up future use - but check this out if you have a lot of time to read!

And remember - this is just an application - it doesn't mean they will actually do all this stuff and doesn't imply when - just very interesting all the stuff they are thinking about.....................

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...&s1=20050060173&OS=20050060173&RS=20050060173

I just saw this on Jim Hill's site, too. Wow! Pay To Play. Lots of FPs if you stay at a Deluxe, lots fewer if you pull into the campground. And it sounds like none, or very few, for off-siters.

As JH says, this might not start tomorrow, but it sure sounds like it's on the way. Yup, I wonder where DVC sits on the scale, too. Are we considered near the "priority" end? Or are we considered a captive audience since most of us aren't going to be seduced into paying for deluxe hotels?

Do I smell a letter campaign?

DisFlan

Given that Universal is filling their "very" expensive resorts with the Front of the line access, I would think that some type of priority for onsite guests would help to fill the rooms that are existing onsite. And, to leave DVC out of this would leave a really bad taste in the mouth of prospective buyers.....

I think this is a shame. This is one of the things I dislike about Universal, you either have to pay an enormous amount of money to stay on site or pay for a one express per ride at about $40 a head. If you can't afford these two options you may be able to get one or two express passes, but otherwise be prepared to wait. People pay alot of money just to get into the parks, they shouldn't be made to feel like second class citizens because they can't afford to up the ante. While we stay on property at Disney, I think it will make alot of vacationers disapointed and make a return visit more unlikey.

I guess I don't understand why Disney didn't start doing it that way right away. Now that they have already given the perk to EVERYONE, it seems to me it would be hard to do away with it. I don't disagree that people who stay on-site should have added priveledge, I just think it would be hard to change at this point.

I can see Pay to Play as a positive perk for DVC sales if they choose to use it that way, and I have no opposition to priority for resort guests, but wow, it's going to be a big PR headache with the people who have always stayed off-site if they get NO FPs. And with locals who are in the parks a lot.

DisFlan

dianeschlicht said:
I guess I don't understand why Disney didn't start doing it that way right away. Now that they have already given the perk to EVERYONE, it seems to me it would be hard to do away with it. I don't disagree that people who stay on-site should have added priveledge, I just think it would be hard to change at this point.

It's kind of like the drug dealers...the first fix is free.

I really would hate to see WDW turned into a class warfare zone. Access to an attraction shouldn't be dependent on the cost of your hotel room. I like the original concept of Fast Pass as everyone has the same opportunity to use it. Many choose not too for whatever reason.

Aren't we (DVC resorts) considered the "Home Away From Home" resorts and when I look at any rack rate info, guide books, etc. we are usually listed above or sometimes right below the deluxe resorts on the WDW Resort Totem Pole...besides...what would they do for those non DVCers who choose to stay at one of the "Home Away From Home" resorts? I mean, they'd have to allow all guests at the resort use of this potential Pay and Play or none at all? Nope, guess not...guess they could do it like the Mousekeeping...we, DVCers only get select mousekeeping whereas those non DVCer get mousekeeping daily...I am right on that point aren't I?

Oh, well, we'll just have to see how this transpires! I am just amazed at how ya'll come up with this stuff. The abundance of knowledge by DISsers is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I read this earlier today and wondered the same thing....where does DVC fit into all of this??? :confused3

I'm not going to get too worked up over this right now. It just seems like a PR nightmare! They'd have to offer some type of perks for Florida resident passholders and AP holders IMHO. But the whole thing makes me a bit nervous...I personally feel that the FP system is great now! At least it works to my advantage LOL! I still don't understand why sooooo many people don't use them.

Oh well....this should be a very interesting topic to watch. I can't imagine whats going on over on the theme parks board right now with this topic. Maybe I should grab a cup of coffee and go check it out ;).

Hey Momsgoofy,

I am in Southern Illinois too, Carbondale!! Hi neighbor!!!

I am not sure I agree with this, but it certainly makes me glad I have my SSR points and that I like my resort and want to stay there. I see it becoming harder and harder to get onsite nights if this happens. I think that on one hand it is INCREDIBLY smart on Disney's part (much like ME which keeps people onsite without cars to leave to eat or do other Orlando attractions). On the other hand, I am concerned about people like a dear friend of mine that saves up all year to take his son for 5 days, staying at Pop or All Stars to make his buck go further, being frugal so that his son can enjoy himself. The good news for my friend is he travels off season which means no lines and not many fast passes available anyway. The bad news for most people like him is they can't travel off season and will be stuck in very long lines (well - maybe not longer though...I can't believe how many dont use fastpass now).

Disney has never been a cheap vacation but it is obtainable to most everyone that really desires to go. I also can't see them truly shorting the people at the Pop and All Stars because there are THOUSANDS of hotel rooms there and they want to keep them full as well. I am thinking it will end up being more like EMHs are now. Strictly an onsite perk. If they lower end packages are given enough fast passes, then I don't see many griping at all. If they aren't, well, I won't be staying at the value resorts.

The down side to me about this is ALL THAT PLANNING! You can certainly change your mind about things but if you decide that you would rather have lunch at EPCOT and all your Fast Pass "appointments" are at MK, you just lose out. I can see me planning a bit the night before, but if everyone is trying for the same time periods, it will be like trying to make a "day of" PS now that the dining package is in place - there just won't be many spots left. I plan a little bit, a PS here or there, but mostly we are pretty flexible when at the world and I would hate to lose that. Those of us with small children are really at the whim of their emotions and day anyway.

I, for one, think this is going to be a nightmare to implement - but didn't most think that MYW ticketing was going to be horrible? I haven't seem many problems from it at all other than maybe taking 3-4 minutes to get into the parks at the turnstiles now. No biggie to me....we just slide down the line and find a short one and get on in :).

My first reaction to this was to wonder how people will try to "beat the system". Disney doesn't really see who gets the FPs, do they? Or did I miss something? I mean, couldn't an off-site "friend" of the deluxe on-property guest get a FP just by visiting? Will FPs have the person's name and be non-transferrable, kind of like the AP? Hey, maybe they'll start using biometric scanners to make sure the right person is using the FP? Of course, like every other DVC member, I'm kind of wondering where we fit in. And if DVC members stay at a value resort, are the FPs allocated like a value resort guest or (I hope) like a DVC member?

DVC isn't specifically mentioned, so who knows.

The FP tickets will be tied to your keys to the world. This is another attempt to keep people from putting more people in one room than are supposed to be in that room. You will use either the internet, special kiosk or a system in your room to sign up for as many FP times as you are allocated for each day of your stay. I am not sure if it prints something out or if you would simply scan your KTTW and be allowed to enter the FP line, but either way, if you are not staying onsite, you wouldn't have a KTTW and it wont work.

All that said, annual pass holders are not mentioned either and I cannot imagine WDW not allowing them some sort of perk as well. They dont want to lose those repeat people, especially the Florida residents that don't often rent hotel rooms but are frequent guests to WDW, so I am guessing it would work the same for them with a scan of your AP to get you in the FP line at your scheduled time.

I also bet, they will offer fast passes at the parks for any times that are not "pre scheduled" so everyone will still have some shot, but mostly I think this is going to be another attempt to get people to stay onsite.

When I first read the article, my first thought was the DVC members would somehow be excluded because we are currently excluded from many of the package deals that Disney runs. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future. I think right now, Disney is just protecting their patent rights for all of the ways fast pass can operate. Whether they use them or not, only time will tell. But I certainly hope when they do, DVC members are not forgotten.

HBC

cpbjgc - I'd bet there are already a variety of VIP perks/passes that we peons don't often hear about. An FP "pass" would seem logical. If you booked a Presidential Suite for a month and staff to go with it after you just paid for your daughter's $200,000 Disney wedding w/fireworks, you'd probably get an FP pass if you wanted it. The cost to Disney would be zilch. I bet they'd even throw in a couple of free Mickey Ears.

DisFlan

Happy Birthday Cat said:
When I first read the article, my first thought was the DVC members would somehow be excluded because we are currently excluded from many of the package deals that Disney runs.

I tend to doubt that. As long as DVC is actively selling points, they'll keep us on par with the Deluxe resorts. The last thing they want is FastPass envy to keep someone from deciding to commit $20K on a DVC purchase.

cpbjgc said:
I just read the Jim Hill article and saw there was an update:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1452

The future is here!

Funny, I didn't see this listed as a DVC member perk... :confused3

I think that JHM update is much ado about nothing. Those "special" types of fastpasses have been in existance for quite some time. The only thing different about it this time is that it's being added into a perk on a Disney auction.
At DL, they also have special anytime fastpasses that are to be used when an attraction breaks down, etc. It'll get you onto basically any attraction and sometimes you can go through the exit for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter