Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise 8/2/14 - 8/9/14

I don't know what LGMH means! I agree with keeping FE to a set number, to keep costs and packing down. Would 20 mean 20 total (including all members of families) or 20 units (family groups). Since I'm a complete newbie, I don't know if having a schedule is better or not. I'm glad to have guidance from those in the know.

Hi, Carol! I don't wish to be rude, so I'll explain. Years ago, Home Depot sold Disney paint. The paint chips were in the shape of Mickey Heads. For quite some time, the "Lime Green" Mickey Head paint chip was a symbol of Disboards. People would put them on their bags, so they could recognize each other in the parks.

Home Depot no longer has those paint chips, so they have (somewhat) fallen out of use. I was hoping someone knew if there was some new, "secret symbol/handshake" way of dis-ers identifying each other.

I think I'll take this to the larger board, but not tonight. 1 more exam to write.

Hi all, is anyone else obsessing over the cruise! Its so far away, but I can't stop looking up reviews of the staterooms, port and activities. Bought some mickey material to make our fish extender over the weekend.
I hope we can get a group together to do a Mixology class - looks like fun!

Because we had connecting staterooms on our last cruise, we had one traditional FE and my youngest DD made a ducktape FE with supplies from Michael's:thumbsup2

It actually turned out pretty well. It broke one time because of some of the heavier FE gifts but she learned how to strengthen it for the future.

Joe

Hi, Carol! I don't wish to be rude, so I'll explain. Years ago, Home Depot sold Disney paint. The paint chips were in the shape of Mickey Heads. For quite some time, the "Lime Green" Mickey Head paint chip was a symbol of Disboards. People would put them on their bags, so they could recognize each other in the parks.

Home Depot no longer has those paint chips, so they have (somewhat) fallen out of use. I was hoping someone knew if there was some new, "secret symbol/handshake" way of dis-ers identifying each other.

I think I'll take this to the larger board, but not tonight. 1 more exam to write.

On past cruises with DIS groups we had volunteers to lamenate green mickey heads with a small clip that you could attach to lanyards.

A couple of years ago, I went on a cruise where one person coordinated the buying of rubber wrist bands that were white with lime green writing. The meet group came up with a theme for our cruise and that was on the wrist band along with the date of the cruise. (i.e. "Mickey's So Long Summer Cruise")

One person bought the bands based on request from the group and we paid for them at the DIS meet on the first day of the cruise.

Joe

Good Morning All.

I think 20 cabins is a good cut off - last cruise I had 32 cabins and it was a bit much - just a lot of running around - but either way - it doesn't matter to me.

Bye for now!

Good Morning All.

I think 20 cabins is a good cut off - last cruise I had 32 cabins and it was a bit much - just a lot of running around - but either way - it doesn't matter to me.

Bye for now!

Twenty CABINS seems manageable to me. We could Also do 20 Dis-ers. (We need to make sure we cover Joe, and others like him. (While we are sailing with two cabins, only one cabin is participating in the FE.)

I feel as though 20 people is too small. That could be as few as 4 cabins.

Not that we need to decide this today, but we can begin with a "working number" of 20, and re-visit in the future.

Because we had connecting staterooms on our last cruise, we had one traditional FE and my youngest DD made a ducktape FE with supplies from Michael's:thumbsup2

It actually turned out pretty well. It broke one time because of some of the heavier FE gifts but she learned how to strengthen it for the future.

Joe

Joe - how cool! Memories they will have for a lifetime I'm sure. What were some of your (and your girls') favorite gifts?

Twenty CABINS seems manageable to me. We could Also do 20 Dis-ers. (We need to make sure we cover Joe, and others like him. (While we are sailing with two cabins, only one cabin is participating in the FE.)

I feel as though 20 people is too small. That could be as few as 4 cabins.

Not that we need to decide this today, but we can begin with a "working number" of 20, and re-visit in the future.

Hi Joy - sorry to be dense, but when you say 20 cabins, would you give a gift to each person in each cabin, or just one gift per cabin? We will likely do a mix of buying little things and making some things, but as you say - we do have plenty of time. But I wish it would go by faster!:)

Hi Joy - sorry to be dense, but when you say 20 cabins, would you give a gift to each person in each cabin, or just one gift per cabin? We will likely do a mix of buying little things and making some things, but as you say - we do have plenty of time. But I wish it would go by faster!:)

I will likely give individual gifts for children. Perhaps one gift for the adults in the cabin. Remember - it's a 7 day cruise! We'll all need to be able to bring home everything we receive, even if you choose to send your gifts to the ship.

I will likely give individual gifts for children. Perhaps one gift for the adults in the cabin. Remember - it's a 7 day cruise! We'll all need to be able to bring home everything we receive, even if you choose to send your gifts to the ship.

FE gifts are more for the children and to see their excitement each time that they come back to their cabin. Also remember that this activity is meant to be fun. I used this time in the past to go with my youngest DD and explore different parts of the ship while handing out the gifts:goodvibes

We have purchased PassPorters in the past sowe got a discount on the latest edition of the PassPorter for DCL. Started diving into in last night!! The student in me loves to get into a subject and read as much as possible to learn. I love to research stuff! This time around, it is driving me nuts because I want the trip to be here already!! It is pouring rain here today so I am really in need of some sunshine and warm weather!!

:headache::headache::headache::headache:

My dear Carol,

I don't want to tell anyone what to give or how they want to structure their FE. In the past, I have usually given a gift for the adults (let's face it, often the Moms/wives) and then gifts for the kids.

Examples I have given/made -

Water balls (usually 1/cabin, sometimes 1/child)
Pixie dust/gold leaf floating necklaces for each member of cabin (adult and child)
Bottle cap magnets with Mickey head letters and destination of cruise
Drink coasters from Perler beads (2/cabin)
A paper-pieced photo frame to hold a 4 x6 photo for scrapbooking
Since we are from the Philly area, I _used_ to give Tastykakes. Now that the company has been sold and bought, I'll Never give them again. They just are NOT the same. . .:sad2::mad::headache:

Many people like to give items related to where they come from. I've given photo postcards from famous Philly sites.

I'm not sure if this is helping. There are many great threads with good ideas for FE gifts. (Though I've never done it, I thought the idea of a plastic cup and a package (like they sell in convenience stores) of oreos so kids can make a blizzard (flurry - whatever you may call it) from the soft serve ice cream machine.)

Carol, Joe said it best - this is a Fun thing to do. If you want to be crafty, have a Blast! If you want to be simple, give each cabin one thing. (Like my aforementioned bottle stopper.) Do what works for you and feels good. This isn't supposed to be a chore or break the bank.

HTH ?

Carol,

I just realized, you messaged me on FB, but I don't _think_ you gave me an email address. Let me know how you'd like A to be in touch with M.

Thanks!

We have purchased PassPorters in the past sowe got a discount on the latest edition of the PassPorter for DCL. Started diving into in last night!! The student in me loves to get into a subject and read as much as possible to learn. I love to research stuff! This time around, it is driving me nuts because I want the trip to be here already!! It is pouring rain here today so I am really in need of some sunshine and warm weather!!

:headache::headache::headache::headache:

When I feel that way I go to cruise cams like port canaveral or miami and look at them for a few minutes. I also go onto youtube and look up DCL related videos:thumbsup2

Joe

My dear Carol,

I'm not sure if this is helping. There are many great threads with good ideas for FE gifts. (Though I've never done it, I thought the idea of a plastic cup and a package (like they sell in convenience stores) of oreos so kids can make a blizzard (flurry - whatever you may call it) from the soft serve ice cream machine.)

Carol, Joe said it best - this is a Fun thing to do. If you want to be crafty, have a Blast! If you want to be simple, give each cabin one thing. (Like my aforementioned bottle stopper.) Do what works for you and feels good. This isn't supposed to be a chore or break the bank.

HTH ?

Totally helpful Joy & Joe! Thanks so much. I have been reading through the trip reports and looking at blogs discussing DCL. I like to research too, Joy!
I'll send you M's email on FB - I can't see how to do it here.

Hi everyone.

I posted on here the other day when DH booked us on this sailing. We're very excited and want to jump into the activities. I'm wondering though, does most talk take place here on the DIS or on FB? I sent a request to join the FB group right after I posted but still haven't heard anything.

Also, is the FE sign up the link in the first post or is there some place else for that? (I don't mind sharing info with a closed group, but some stuff I don't like posting where the world has access.)

Thanks much!

Hi everyone.

I posted on here the other day when DH booked us on this sailing. We're very excited and want to jump into the activities. I'm wondering though, does most talk take place here on the DIS or on FB? I sent a request to join the FB group right after I posted but still haven't heard anything.

Also, is the FE sign up the link in the first post or is there some place else for that? (I don't mind sharing info with a closed group, but some stuff I don't like posting where the world has access.)

Thanks much!

Hi there! I just added you to the Facebook page. I didn't get an e-mail notification this time that someone was looking to join, so I apologize for the wait. I put us on Facebook so more people would find us. I think chatter happens on both places, depending on whether the person is mainly a DISer or a FB user.

Yes, the link to the google doc sign up sheet is on page 1 of this thread. Glad to have you join us!

Hi All - we have signed up for the fish extender group; thank you so much to those who have organised it. This is our second cruise but the first was three night Dream and there was no fish extender-ing going on so it is our first time involved in this! We are so excited. We are coming all the way from Scotland so closing the group at about 20 cabins would suit us well as there is only so much we can carry in our luggage (we are cruising at the end of our 3.5 week vacation and I doubt we will be travelling light!). But we are willing to fit in with whatever suits everyone best, of course. We're already planning our gifts!
My DD, aged 11, says 'hi'. She is so excited about the cruise and sounds like she may catch up with some of the others at Edge.

Hey fellow cruisers

For those of you who want to do a little shopping ahead of our big trip or saw something but didn't get it the last time you were there...Disney Store online is having a 25% off sale on all their park merchandise. May have to think about getting a few things while the sale is on!!!

See ya!!

Hi RRBB and Alice,

Its fun to see who is going on the trip! I have a 12 yr old daughter also, and many others have kids in the "tween" ages, so there will be a nice group going to the Edge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter