Fantasmic Dinner Package- 4:00 seating?

HopingforAMiracle

Mouseketeer
Hi!
This is my first post here! I've been lurking here for at least a couple of months, though. I love this site! I've learned so much from all of you. Thanks!

My question is:
We have a reservation at the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant for the Fantasmic Dinner Package on Saturday night, 11/6.
Fantasmic is at 7pm that night.

When I made my reservation 90 days out, I was told that the latest they had available was 4pm! Obviously, we don't want to eat this early. I was hoping for something later- maybe 5:30. I've called several times since then and was told that is the latest they are making reservations for (4pm).

I think I read a couple of times that you should wait until 30 days before the date and then call back to get a later time.
If I wait until only 30 days before the date, won't the later seatings already be taken?
OR
Is it 30 days prior to the date that they actually open up earlier seating reservations? (so, if I call first thing in the morning, I can get a good time).

Thanks for any guidance you can offer me.

Danielle

First off, Welcome To The Dis!!!:wave: Im glad you have found us.

As for your question you are exactly right! More times do open up about 30 days in advance. From my personal experience Ive found between 3-4 weeks is when we are able to get a later time. Since those times just open for booking then, you should have no problem securing one.

Keep trying & good luck! :D

If you do get a PS for 5:30, I'm not sure that you would have enough time to eat and get over to Fantasmic for 7:00pm. I would think it would take at least 1hr to eat(and enjoy it), bringing you to 6:30. Then you have to walk back to the front of the park to the "special entrance" and then its a "hike" to the seating.

I totally agree- plan on a ps no later than 5:00. The last time we did the pkg. they were allowing people in the "back door" at 6:15. You don't want to be just walking in at 7!

Just spoke to a CM who said they release the later hours when the calendar for that month is released. Makes sense; they wouldn't want to make a PS for 7 and then find out the park is only open 'til 6 that day!

Originally posted by Jena Finn
Just spoke to a CM who said they release the later hours when the calendar for that month is released. Makes sense; they wouldn't want to make a PS for 7 and then find out the park is only open 'til 6 that day!

That hasnt been true in our experience. Hours are usually released 2 months before the beginning of the months(ie July hours came out May 3rd or 4th), and the later times dont open up until about 30 days in advance, and it seems later times for the whole month dont open up at the same time.
It would make sense if that were the case, but it hasnt been for us. :(

Also, I missed the time of Fantasmic in the original post. You definitely want to eat before 5:30. With the FDP you must be at the entrance 1/2 hour before Fantasmic, so 6:30. We learned in July the reason is because thats when they start letting people from the regular line into the reserved seats for the FDP. Id book 5:00 the latest.

It's true. For me it was 25 days out to be exact. Fantasmic was for 8:30 and I got my PS for 6:30 instead of 4:20.

Thanks for the scoop! Just goes to show you sometimes even the CM's don't know what's going on!:)

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions!

I had been waiting for quite a while for the WDW November 2004 calendar and show schedule to come out. According to the WDW site, Fantansmic is scheduled for 7pm on that night (11/6). The calendar has been out for maybe almost a week now. Still, though, I'm told that the latest PS they are making at this point is for 4pm. From reading this board, though, I'm not supprised by that. I read before of people on here needing to make another call closer to their dinner package date (30 days out) to get a later time...which is what lead to my question.

It's a good thought- about allowing enough time for dinner. I guess 5:00 would be much better. We do have a 20 month old son, though- which is why I was thinking of not starting until 5:30. He doesn't last in a restaurant very long. It seems like, since we had our son, gone are the days of taking two (or three!) hour leisurely dinners. We went to HBD in '98 and really enjoyed our time there. I'd love to spend more time, but I have a feeling our time may be a little rushed- as my son doesn't really enjoy sitting still. He would just prefer to run around and see all the action. Maybe I'll make it for 5:00, though- that way we have the option of staying longer if we can. If we end up needing to eat in just 45 minutes, we could just hang out in the park until we get queued up for Fantasmic.

I just didn't want to wait until 30 days before the date to call for a later time, and find that all the later times are taken. Maybe I'll just start calling 35 days out, and continue to call each day (not knowing exactly which day they'll open up the later seating) until they release the later seating.

Thanks again for you feedback! I'm really looking forward to this trip!

Danielle

Welcome to the DIS Boards, Danielle!! :wave:

The other posters here have filled you in well on what's going on with the FDP. I'm not sure why WDW continues to hold off on releasing the later dining times, but it's been happening this way for quite a while now.

Don't be at all surprised if there still aren't any later times when you get within 30 days. For us, the later times were released about 3 weeks out when we were making our PS for June. I've read posts where the later times weren't released until close to two weeks before the date.

I would continue to call to check when you get within 30 days, but I don't know that calling every day is necessary. It seems that once they finally do release the later times, they don't get snatched up instantly, so I wouldn't worry too much about them disappearing before you call.

Happy planning!

I'm glad you podted on this I am so mad about this dinner pkg. I am trying to go on 11/4 I called at 90 days out looking for anytime for ressies for 13 people at mamma melrose. I was told by CM that they did not release the show time yet so I would have to keep calling back. I have called every other day to find no nothing yet. Then I called Thursday to be told it sold out at the 90 day mark. I am so confused and mad about this. I had them transfer me to someone else I explained I called every day at 6:59 am for 11 consecutive days. The CM told me sorry there is nothing they can do for me.

It's great to know that I shouldn't need to call the day the later seating opens up. I won't bother calling EVERY day- maybe every other day. ;)

crazy4claspooh,
That's crazy that the CM's told you that- and that you've had such a hard time getting your PS! How could they even explain how, so many times, you can call and be told that you can't make reservations?
At least now, knowing that later time slots will open up about 30 days out, you can hopefully call back and get a reservation.
We'll be there the same time! Maybe we'll see you there!

Danielle

Originally posted by Jena Finn
Thanks for the scoop! Just goes to show you sometimes even the CM's don't know what's going on!:)

Thats so true. I know the CMs work hard and they do, do a great job, but more than once we have gotten false information from them and it is quite frustrating. We are so lucky to have to Dis to hear others experience to know the "truth".
In trying to get later times for the FDP a couple months ago a CM came right out and told us, MM only serves dinner between 4:00-4:30 and later times would not open up. ;) Had I not known better I would have believed that and not tried back but thanks to info on the Dis I kept trying and got a later PS. ::yes::

Last Nov., I called about 30 days out and got my PS for 5:10. I arrived and had to wait about 10 minutes and by the time that I ate and left it was 6:30. By the time I was seated in the stadium I only had about 10 minutes to wait before the show started. BTW by the time I started to eat, the buffet needed to be restocked and the dessert station was a total mess.

This year, I made my ressie 90 days out for this Nov. I was given a 4:30 time which I am okay with. I figure that I will have at least 45 minutes to an hour before having to head to the stadium so I can take my time and do a bit of shopping along the way. I also hope that by having an earlier time I can avoid the messy area that occurred last year.

I talked to a CM about this a few days ago when I was trying to book a later seating at H & V (we currently have a 4:30 PS) for the FDP. She said that 4:30 is the latest time the restaurants offer it because they only have so many FDP seatings available.

Not sure that's completely true. It makes sense in a way, because the restaurants can book FDP at the times they normally wouldn't be busy and still pack the restaurant during the normal dinner times with regular (non FDP) diners.

On a side note, I think that Disney holds a number of tables at desirable times for their conciere guest which may account for why they release the later times closer to the dates people are going. I don't know if anyone has ever noticed but you rarely see concierge guest denied a ps even if they wait until the last minute or even if they make the ps the morning of they want to attend the park (only exception I've seen to this is usually when the parks are packed during holidays).

In general you should be able to make your PS about 2 hours before showtime and not really any closer so that you aren't rushed.

We booked 4:20[ at 90 days for our August trip...and Fantasmic was scheduled for 8:30p. Well, that was WAY too early for me. So I tried back a few times with no luck and many CMs telling me only between 4:00p and 4:30p is all that is available for Fantasmic packages and they doubt anything would ever open up in the future, but thanks to this board I knew better.

Anyway, later times finally opened up for me at 25 days out. I got a 6:30p PS which was MUCH better. We finished about 7:15p and went near the villian shop to sit and people watch for awhile then we slowly walked over and entered about 7:45p which is when our waitress said we should enter.

BUT if your Fantasmic show is off season when it's shown earlier, then you might not be able to get a later time as there just wouldn't be enough time between eating and getting to the show. Like Nov/Dec. Isn't the show at 7:00p? So then you really couldn't get anything much later than 5:00p anyway.

Good luck everyone wanting later times!!

Yeah, the November show is at 7pm.
I still would like a little later than 4pm, so will call back and try to get a 5pm.
I have it written in my datebook! I'll be calling 40 days out, 35 days out, 30 days out and then 25 days out, etc to try to get the later seatings when/if they open them up.
I just called today, and they told me they were alll booked for the Fantasmic Dinner Package for the night that I have my reservation. Last week, they told me that 4pm was the LATEST time that would be available for my day (Sat, Nov 6th). Although, it's seeming like people did get 4:30 ressies. We'll see how it turns out when I call back in the next few weeks...
Thanks for all of your feedback,
Danielle

I started this thread because I couldn't get seating later than 4pm for the show on November 6th. Did you just "get in" for a table later than 4pm?

I called 40 days out, and did manage to get a 4:20. Called again yesterday (30 days out) and couldn't get any later.

I'm looking for a 5:00 PS for Brown Derby.

crazy4claspooh, did you get later than 4:20 at the Brown Derby for this date or a date close to it where the Fantasmic Show is at 7pm?

I'm wondering if I should call now- before the debate begins!

Danielle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter