Extinct Disney foods that I truly miss

Thiiiiiiiis. I miss it so much. Back when it first opened it was a Scandinavian buffet and the selection was fabulous. Lefse, mashed rutabega, smoked fish...
The mashed rutabaga was awesome. I got a recipe card for this from the chef.

The chili and mango paleta at Cantina, Mexico! I LOVE IT and they stopped selling it years ago... Now they just have a stupid, boring sweet mango one. MEH!

• Figaro Fries
  • Dole whip with vanilla soft serve
  • Chicken waffle sandwich at Sleepy Hollow
  • Beaver tails

• Figaro Fries
  • Dole whip with vanilla soft serve
  • Chicken waffle sandwich at Sleepy Hollow
  • Beaver tails

Have you heard that the Plaza Restaurant has "Loaded Plaza Fries" (French fries topped with melted cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and ranch dressing)? They are just like Figaro fries!!

Have you heard that the Plaza Restaurant has "Loaded Plaza Fries" (French fries topped with melted cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and ranch dressing)? They are just like Figaro fries!!

Yes, I have heard that. And I may need to try them. But it's different not being at a counter service location.

Fantasia Ice Cream at Disneyland - I know why they got rid of it, changed sponsors to Nestle and I guess Nestle couldn't/wouldn't duplicate it

Artist Point had this sweet potato dish with this hazlenut crumble on top - it was amazing with the buffalo

Fantasia ice cream was my first thought too! It was my favorite DL treat! The best ice cream ever!

Another vote for Main Street Bakery as well.

But I was really disappointed with the disappearance off the Port Orleans Riverside's pralines. Shamefully, I would sneak off from my family and enjoy one of these tasty morsels as I strolled around the grounds. Do they sell pralines anywhere else?

New Orleans:rolleyes: Aunt Sally's chewy are the best. At least I got to finish the whole box before I was diagnosed with diverticulitis:(

Columbia harbor house Clam chowder in a bread bowl.

I also miss prime rib and beef and barley soup in the castle without princesses hovering about. Don't get me wrong, I love a good character interaction, but it would have been nice if in the evening it remained a more subdued dinner spot.

Same goes for Akershus. At least one meal could have remained traditional Norwegian fare. I loved the fish and cheese options they had.

oh and the Sun Dried Tomato Pesto with the bread that you used to get at Tony's! I tried the recipe at home and it wasn't even close.

We miss the Le Cellier menu from 2002. I loved their field greens salad w/chicken and DH loved a few of their sandwiches. One year the deciding factor on whether or not we wanted to fly down for Labor Day weekend was lunch at Le Cellier. Sadly, we have no desire to return for the new signature menu. :sad1:

We still go to Le Cellier still love dipping the pretzel rolls in the cheese soup. Not as thrilled with the menu as noted above. Really miss the Lobster Poutine they had I think about 4 or 5 years back the ones they have now are OK but that one was awesome.

Peanut Chicken Plate lunch @ Kona Cafe.

The was also a Coconut chicken at the Kona Cafe that we went for every trip down that I loved. Alas the menu just does not interest me without that dish. I did like the sticky rice so maybe next trip will check out menu and see if something calls to me.

Main Street Bakery cinnamon roll. Only tried it once. It was recommended by family friends and BOY am I glad I got it right before they closed for good.

I can't tell you how many times I google Beaver Tails. Never had em but wow do they look good.

Still mad they took the lobster tail at Narcoossee's off the dining plan. It was such an AWESOME value.

I wonder how and who comes to a decision on which menu items to cut. If something is popular why mess with it? Cost cutting measure perhaps. I sure could go for that banana cream pie right about now....

Always wondered the same myself.

Could be a number of things. Cost of goods go up, certain vendors go out of business and Disney was grandfathered into a rate, food allergies, changing tastes, etc.

I think a BIG part of my favorite, the cinnamon roll, going out of business had to do with Disney implementing a central baking kitchen rather than doing it on-site.

If you ever taste the cinnamon roll at Gaston's, it never tastes fresh, right? I mean, it's good, but it's not fresh and hot like the MSB version. Also, it seems like you can get most cupcakes anywhere now. It used to be that you can only get the butterfinger cupcake at Starring Rolls. Now I believe it's sold at two other locations.

Long ago, Dunkin Donuts used to make the donuts fresh at each of the stores. They soon found out that they could save money on supplies and hire far-less talented employees by cooking the donuts at a central location, then shipping them out to the stores. I think Disney does this now. It stinks, but most smells are artificial at the World. I think Boardwalk Bakery still preps the pastries and cakes on-site... I think they supply the baked goods to Starring Rolls and there's a separate bakery and confectionary for MK and so on...

The above is just my theory. The Dunkin part is factual, but the Disney parts are theory.

Always wondered the same myself.

Long ago, Dunkin Donuts used to make the donuts fresh at each of the stores. They soon found out that they could save money on supplies and hire far-less talented employees by cooking the donuts at a central location, then shipping them out to the stores. I think Disney does this now.

I hate that dunkins started doing that! Things just aren't as fresh as they used to be. Although there is still one near me that makes the donuts themselves. I will go out of my way to go there if I am feeling like splurging on a treat.

I hate that dunkins started doing that! Things just aren't as fresh as they used to be. Although there is still one near me that makes the donuts themselves. I will go out of my way to go there if I am feeling like splurging on a treat.

If you ever want the best doughnut ever check out www.duckdonuts.com They are mostly a Middle Atlantic chain but seem to be expanding. They make them fresh, you select the toppings and you get them warm, well maybe hot be careful when eating. They are best warm brought some home from a trip to DC but they were not the same warmed in the microwave. But OMG warm out of the box it is out of this world. Favorite is peanut butter icing with bacon!!!

Overall food choices have declined at all restaurants since the early 2000's as they try to shrink menus and flip tables faster. Coral Reef used to have a great menu now its small with little choices as before. The Garden Grill used to have a full menu now they have a cheesy Thanksgiving type meal that is preset and brought to your table for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter