Expedition everest status

We have a trip planned April 23-30.

kids are huge expedition everest fans.

i know the official say is “mid april” to reopen from the refurb.

To those with more experience, do these refurbs typically finish on time? How often to the run late?

Does “mid April mean the dates in my trip? Or before?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Also, is there ANY CHANCE cosmic rewind might be in a soft opening phase by then?

We’ll be there a couple days earlier and I’m watching too. I don’t think anyone knows anything more than mid April.

To those with more experience, do these refurbs typically finish on time? How often to the run late?

Also, is there ANY CHANCE cosmic rewind might be in a soft opening phase by then?
I would say that they generally run on time . Sometimes earlier. It depends on the scope of the rehab. (fix the Yeti anyone). If its known, planned maintenance it should be on-time. There are also unannounced temporary openings from time to time. I would just keep checking

I would say that they generally run on time . Sometimes earlier. It depends on the scope of the rehab. (fix the Yeti anyone). If its known, planned maintenance it should be on-time. There are also unannounced temporary openings from time to time. I would just keep checking

Well they for sure aren't fixing the Yeti. Apparently, it would require completely redoing the structure of the ride due to the supports needed. This is why it broke in the first place.

What do you think chances of the cosmic rewind are for mid April soft opening
I don't know if they will open it, even softly, too much earlier than they want. It depends how far along it is and when they want to open it to draw crowds. The only reason they are opening it this soon is because the 50th has laid an egg and hasn't drawn crowds like they expected. They need something new to bring them in. I don't know if an April/May opening would attract more crowds. When school is out in summer though, could attract more crowds.

What do you think chances of the cosmic rewind are for mid April soft opening
Soft opening for cast members? I think good. Soft opening for DVC and AP? Possible. Soft opening for everyone? Doubtful.

They are scheduling interviews for transfer CM’s now. It might take a month to get everyone hired and then another month of training to put guests on. So that’s early April. Assuming it works the same as Ratatouille, they’ll then start having attractions cast from World Discovery ride, followed by merchandise and food/Bev and then general Epcot cast. Around mid April they could start two weeks of letting cast members from other parks ride. Maybe early May start having DVC and AP previews.

Following to see if there are updates in the next few weeks. We will be there 4/15-21, hoping it opens in time for us.

For reference the permits that they filed to do this work have an expiration date of May 28, 2022. This is usually the latest they expect to be working. If longer they will have to refile permits. It is described as electrical work.

Last edited:
The only reason they are opening it this soon is because the 50th has laid an egg and hasn't drawn crowds like they expected. They need something new to bring them in.
Haven't the crowds actually been quite strong over the last several months? It seems like we aren't seeing the usual non-peak-season lags. I doubt that that has anything to do with the 50th anniversary. It just has to do with pent up demand, revenge travel, and the inability to travel abroad. But is Disney really disappointed with the recent attendance numbers?

Haven't the crowds actually been quite strong over the last several months? It seems like we aren't seeing the usual non-peak-season lags. I doubt that that has anything to do with the 50th anniversary. It just has to do with pent up demand, revenge travel, and the inability to travel abroad. But is Disney really disappointed with the recent attendance numbers?
Everything that I have read and seen, including from travel agents, say it's not what it should have been or what was expected.

My "perception" is that Disney is pleased with the revenue they've been able to generate off of us but international (which is a big number that I cannot remember... maybe 20%) is lagging.

A bus driver told me they are fixing the yeti. 🤣

I'd settle for them cleaning off all of the hairbands at the top and automatically ejecting anyone who throws one.

I was hoping to ride it after our friends' wedding in the morning at AK with all of us dressed up. I might have to make alternate plans if it moves out any more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter