Every Wish That We Put Into Motion.... (comments welcome!)

United has a very flexible mileage search--I have 0 points in my account but that has never impacted a search. I never sign in (you can just ignore the sign in box that opens). You can do flexible dates, cabins, etc. They will show calendar. Often it is easier to just search one way flights--and unlike Delta, they don't jack up the price if it's a one way ticket, so you can search one way there and one way back and then just add the 2 together. The search off the home page will get you started or go to the Advanced Search page.

Sorry your vacation wasn't relaxing. That sucks.
Thanks for reminding me to try just x-ing the box out. On my computer it just sent me in a loop and wouldn't let me see the fares without logging in, but on my phone I was able to see them. Now the debate of flights first or registration first....the responsible thing is registration. There will be flights available for the next 8 months, and DH might feel better about it all if we recoup some funds before I spend a bunch on another trip.

BACK TO TRAINING!

Vacation running: the 5k "race" last Saturday (already discussed) and then DS2 and I ran on the treads on the ship on Monday. The original plan was to run almost every day, but with the trip itinerary, and when our port stops were, that was the only day it happened. Whoops! I could have ran on Friday, but it was quite wavy/windy and I was weaving down the halls and using the handrails on the stairs, so running on a treadmill seemed like a not-great choice. I probably would have fallen off! For excursions (which I'm counting as cross-training!) we walked up Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, snorkeled and met string rays in Grand Cayman, and did an all-inclusive resort/beach in Cozumel (and then I carried a sleeping 4yo through the whole port area while we shopped....which is the cross-training part of that day.)

We picked up our puppy today, the boys decided on Ronin for a name, and I can already tell that DD is going to make the puppy-training really difficult for a few weeks because she cannot.leave.him.alone. Hopefully her obsession subsides before next week so I can get into my training plan without worrying if she's terrorizing him. Side note, he's SO TINY. I was not prepared for him to be this little and had to shorten his harness up as small as it'll go. (Pics will be added in a little bit.) We're also hatching out chicks and planning on starting seeds for our garden this week, and heading to Texas for robotics in 3 weeks. EEP!
58F01B1D-3E7B-4671-B426-1B572F69F969.jpeg
FA3479F3-02D3-4FBB-9C13-9BB27B243FE8.jpeg
(Brown dog making sure she’s still getting pets while DH holds the puppy 😂)

I was going to try to run today, but I still feel like I'm on a ship, and also kind of hungover(?) where I want to go back to bed, and also get dizzy if I look up, down, or focus on something in the distance for too long. It's not fun. I'm hydrating, so hopefully tomorrow is better.

Speaking of which....here's what I've tentatively decided on. I sort of mashed the Higdon Int2 and Adv plans together, to hopefully make something that is aggressive, but doable.

The rhythm of the plan is
Sundays: cross-training (yoga, weights, spin bike, walking, whatever sounds/feels good)
Mondays: Speedwork in the form of repeats. I started these a little slower/less volume than the Adv. plan did. This is also a day DD has school, so I won't have to manage her while I'm trying to run a certain pace.
Tuesdays: 3mi recovery runs. These have the option to be longer, but need to be at least 3mi with no pace expectations.
Wednesdays: Tempo runs starting at 30min and increasing the duration by 5min every week, with a cutback weeks a few times (coinciding with optional 5k,10k, and 15 races.) DD is also in school on these days. Higdon tempo runs are basically to slowly increase your pace during the first half of the run, run at race pace for 10ish minutes, and then slowly decrease your pace.
Thursdays: Rest day.
Fridays: Race pace runs. The longest one is 5mi, so this is mostly about feeling the pace. If it's too much fast running, I'll likely change the Wednesday tempo runs into easy runs. Again, a day DD is in school. I should have just enough time to get these done, get cleaned up, and have to go back to pick her up from school. These are also rest days on the cutback weeks.
Saturdays: Long runs. These cap at 12mi, with that run falling 8 days before the race (1 week taper.) Higdon also gives the option to do practice races every 3rd week in the plan with a 5k, 10k, and 15k race (which coincide with the cutback weeks of the tempo runs as noted earlier.) I am very unlikely to do any races just because there aren't many around here, and I don't really want to spend money on training runs. Plus the risk of injury will go up if I am also adding in 3 races.

I know that on paper this looks like a lot of speedwork, and that means greater chance for injury. I will probably end up dialing some of it back (fewer repeats, or swapping a tempo run for an easy run) but feel like I should definitely keep the Friday runs as written. But I feel like if I'm not pretty aggressive, I'm not going to end up anywhere near 2:2x:xx.

What's the catch? Pacing. I know that you are supposed to "train at the fitness level you are currently at" but for what I'm trying to do here, I basically am trying to make my lactate threshold/10k pace into my HM pace. So. Do I use my current paces for those repeats? Do I split the difference? Adjust them for what my goal is and light it on fire? Do I start with where I'm at now and then adjust faster sometime during the training plan?

Exit points (because I'm not completely insane): these include massive, multiple schedule conflicts that I haven't already accounted for; injury (obviously); being unable to sustain goal race pace on Fridays, starting in May (because I recognize it'll probably be a struggle in the beginning); lack of motivation (because I'm good at planning, and not-great at executing and I recognize this about myself.)

Other: I'm going to try to get my protein intake back up to 120+g/day because that helps a lot of my other eating habits, and I'm considering switching from coffee to green tea in the morning. I think that cutting out my creamer habit might help with some weightloss, but I'm not willing to give up my caffeine. I'm also getting my old water bottle out because getting enough water has been a lot of work with my new one and I'm pretty sure it's because the straw is smaller.

Last edited:
My experience with trying to run Higdon's race pace workouts at goal pace (summer 2022) was that it was really, really hard. I think I had like two runs that went well over however many weeks the Novice 2 (I think?) plan was. Part of that was probably because I was training in the summer and it was hot and humid, and I was too dumb to adjust my pacing. But I did manage my goal in the end...somehow 😅 So you never know!

As someone who recently bit off more than she could chew, I’d urge you to train where you’re at. You’ll still see improvements and hopefully won’t end up like me and unable to complete the training.

I'm totally having one of those weeks where everything is exhausting, I'm sleep deprived, my stress level is winding up (for no good reason that I can come up with), and I just want to say "$%&*# this" to running. Like, I'm actively talking myself out of making any decisions about bailing on training, training plans, or races, or [skipping] registration because how I feel this week/today is not how I'll feel next week. Also, still have some sort of vertigo from being on the cruise ship.

I invited BIL/SIL to come with us to MW (would juggle points to get a 1br or 2br while they were down for probably just Friday-Sunday) and SIL says that BIL laughed at her when she brought it up. And I mentioned it this week in our group chat and got complete crickets. So yeah. 99% sure they aren't he isn't interested.

I told DH that I know he's super stressed out with coming back from vacation and the avalanche of work that resulted from taking 10 days off, so when he's ready to talk about MW, he can start the conversation. It is torture to not have a decision about what we are running/not running yet and for me to not "corner" him and force an answer. He did double check what day registration is on, so he understands there's some urgency in deciding. And right now I feel so "meh" about the thought of marathon training....*sigh* Even knowing I don't need to start until like August/September isn't really helping. See first paragraph.

I did run today. And it felt good to move my body. The weather is supposed to warm back up, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to get outside for some runs. And I'm going make/find some sort of coloring sheet for tracking my training plan.

Right there with ya! I'm currently overthinking what to do about Marathon weekend and keep coming up with thoughts like "maybe I'll just quit running and start tap dancing instead." 🤣 I wish registration was later.

I hope your vertigo goes away soon. That's enough right there to throw everything else off.

As I continue to over think registration (with less than 24hrs left to do so) I managed to get my training run in today.
Day 1! 1mi WU + 4 hills + 1mi CD. WOO HOO! Total of 4.26mi covered.

Of course, sleeping with a new puppy in the house has been a challenge, so the hill I was planning on using (drop DD off at preschool, go run, then go home) isn't going to really be an option because he just can't hold it that long in the morning. So I improvised today, and I'm looking for a little input from more experienced runners.

Higdon recommends hills be about 400m/0.25mi long, and not too steep to avoid shuffling your feet up them. I do not have an adequate hill that is a full 0.25mi long near the house, so I found what is hopefully a reasonable substitute. On my regular running route, there is a rolling section where there is a ~0.1mi downhill followed by a 0.15mi uphill. So if I started in the trough of these hills, ran the shorter (steeper one) to the top, came down, ran up the longer one, and then back down into the trough 4x. That gave me 4 x 0.25mi of uphill, but it was broken into 8 chunks. Is this an adequate substitution? (see chart for visual representation.) Lot point for elevation is ~806 ft, so it’s about 22ft of gain on each uphill.
EC448E14-A097-461D-B134-2666E5402B41.png
the first 3 Laps:
9CA696F5-E027-47CB-8321-FDF1191BC5D9.jpeg
“S” is the smaller/shorter hill and “B” is the bigger/longer hill.

I'm scheduled to to 6 hills in 2 weeks, and then 8 hills 2 weeks after that. After that, it's all repeats on Mondays, so this isn't a huge thing in the grand scheme of things. But I actually (gasp) kind of didn't hate this workout. It wasn't too hard, and I could have done more, but it was definitely a nice change from just doing 100% easy runs. Also, I feel like a week of using all of the stairs on the cruise definitely gave me a little kickstart on this not killing me.

And then I came home and did MBF20 Legs, which is a 20min lifting program that uses fake jump ropes between blocks that I substituted for soleus-focused calf-raises. Did I use weights for anything other than RDLs and calf raises? No. No, I did not. I need to be a functional person this week TYVM. Baby steps.

Last edited:
I love raising chicks! It's been a while for us -- I think all of ours are laying now -- but they're so cute and fluffy!
I'm working on "making" lavender standard cochins as a project. We hatched out about 20 chicks on Friday, and 4 of them are lavender (which is exactly what the punnet square said we should get statistically/genetically) and now are trying to figure out when to breed them back to a black cochin, or if I do the work of finding someone near-ish with lavender standard cochins already. I went waaaaaay down the obsession road on chickens about 10 years ago, and yeah, we've had a lot of kinds over the years.

You'd have to ask my wife what breeds we have, but we have a nice mix of colors! All she's ever wanted was a nice mix of easter-eggers, and (though today's eggs clearly need to be washed) they're looking beautiful!

IMG_7390.jpeg

Welp. So much for cutting back for MW 2025. I'm in for Dopey. Now it's time to obsess over how to finagle the DVC points for the room, book flights, and maintain some semblance of motivation to train.

ALSO. Saying this now:

I am 100% NOT buying stuff to costume all 4 days. Bounding/recycling? Yes. Sparkle skirts instead a full-on Dottie for the marathon? Probably. Since the cat is out of the bag with DH on how much Dopey costs, I definitely need to cut back on the spending in other areas.

(But also....Team Not-So-Fast group costume for the 10k?)

YES!!!! One million percent I am in!

I am 100% NOT buying stuff to costume all 4 days. Bounding/recycling? Yes.
I was forced to do this for MW and DL last January due to travel, and it was actually kind of a relief not to have so much stuff. Thankfully the weather was cool enough in both Orlando and Anaheim that I didn't sweat and stink up my costumes. AND I lucked out with rain just at the very end of my WDW half, so my poncho saved that costume from any potential damage.

I'm only doing the marathon, but if anyone wants to join me with birthday/unbirthday themed costumes for that race, I'd love to have you! I plan on getting a shirt that says "on birthdays, we run marathons."
*cough* Kim and I both have cricuts if we wanted to make the same design for all of them *cough*
My birthday is Dec 30 so close enough??
and mine is on the 9th!

Funny enough, SIL pointed out on Sunday that I'll only run a disney race one time while I'm 40. Because my bday was after MW this year, and it's on 5k day in 2025.

Welp. So much for cutting back for MW 2025. I'm in for Dopey. Now it's time to obsess over how to finagle the DVC points for the room, book flights, and maintain some semblance of motivation to train.

ALSO. Saying this now:

I am 100% NOT buying stuff to costume all 4 days. Bounding/recycling? Yes. Sparkle skirts instead a full-on Dottie for the marathon? Probably. Since the cat is out of the bag with DH on how much Dopey costs, I definitely need to cut back on the spending in other areas.

I went a bit overboard on spending for W&D costuming, so I “cheaped out” for MW with $15 skirts and $15 shirts, plus reusing a shirt and skirt I already had in the same style, and I’ll dress them up with stick-on felt. And I was able to use Amazon gift cards from my health insurance for all of it, so it was really free 😄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter