EPCOT to become “more Disney”

What would you like to see EPCOT become?

• Total voters
I don't understand the "there was never IP in EPCOT". There certainly was, but most of it was not "permanent" attractions, but rather meet and greets. Since the dawn of time (OK, since Oct 1982), you have found Marie hanging out in France, or Alice and Pooh in England, Snow White in Germany. The only difference is that these were mostly not rides. They were just people. Most of the IP in EPCOT was not viewed are cartoons, but as people (and thus Meet and Greets).

later on they dedicated places for Mickey and Friends, Chip and Dale and Pluto became regulars in the Garden Grill, and a regular rotation of characters in the other side of Communicore.

Yes, the IP has changed, but the concept of IP in EPCOT is not new.

What IS new (and what I do not personally like) is the shift of EPCOT from Educational to Entertainment. I don't mind IP used for education, but I don't like that EPCOT is losing it's educational value.

Last edited:
I agree completely. I partake in drinks once in a while so I can appreciate your perspective. I also believe the issues people have seen in the parks with people over-indulging is what WD feared and hence why DL never will have alcohol served in it to the public. I have seen in DCA a few drunk people and it definitely ruins the atmosphere of a Disney park.

Honestly, the worst in-park behavior I have ever witnessed was at Disneyland with two ladies screaming obcenities at each other near It's a Small World. No alcohol was needed. I just don't think it's a large issue, and isolated incidents can happen anywhere. I do remember seeing this guy at MNSSHP once who seemed pretty drunk honestly, but he was just singing along to Boo To You as happy as can be - knew the words too! So, you know, I don't think the real problem is that they serve alcohol - some guests are going to behave poorly regardless and some aren't.

Last edited:
Honestly, the worst in-park behavior I have ever witnessed was at Disneyland with two ladies screaming obcenities at each other near It's a Small World. No alcohol was needed. I just don't think it's a large issue, and isolated incidents can happen anywhere. I do remember seeing this guy at MNSSHP once who seemed pretty drunk honestly, but he was just singing along to Boo To You as happy as can be - knew the words too! So, you know, I don't think the real problem is that they serve alcohol - some guests are going to behave poorly regardless and some aren't.

Yes, definitely. Some people are going to lose their tempers, regardless.

I don't think it's always about extreme instances, though.

For me, it's more about the general picture of how the current approach to alcohol changes the atmosphere. It changes the balance of who tends even to go to Epcot in the evenings, especially weekend evenings.

I think that as soon as you have a family theme park where people object to not being able to walk around with cocktails, you know it's assumed greater weight than, maybe, it 'should'. I wouldn't have thought, it's unreasonable to say alcohol only in sit-down settings, for example (just an example ;)).

Like I said before, I'm not necessarily advocating for a complete ban. I like the odd drink. :D

I agree completely. I partake in drinks once in a while so I can appreciate your perspective. I also believe the issues people have seen in the parks with people over-indulging is what WD feared and hence why DL never will have alcohol served in it to the public. I have seen in DCA a few drunk people and it definitely ruins the atmosphere of a Disney park.

Somewhere along the way I think wires have got crossed, because we are in agreement! :D

Not just college students drink around the world. The first time I did was with my family (parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins) and we had a great time. I've also done it a couple times in my later 20s and early 30s with my sister and some friends. Nobody has ever vomited in the park or done anything inappropriate.
I enjoy Disney. I enjoy good drinks. I don't see why people hate that other people enjoy them together.
I don't think people hate that other people are drinking. I think it is the few instances people have seen people who have over indulged and seen the outcome of over indulgence in the park. Getting smashed and vomiting in your hotel room is one thing. Getting so drunk and passing out in the park or vomiting in a public setting is sad and embarrassing IMO.

Too many drinks :lmao:. Seems to be a hot button issue. I am enjoying this thread though haven't been offended yet!

LOL :rotfl:

I'm enjoying it, too.

99% of the posts have been productive exchanges of opinion. ::yes:: Plus, I'm much more likely to reconsider my position and find compromise if people avoid sarcasm and aren't simply dismissive. ...I'm all for genuine humour, though! ::yes::

I think that as soon as you have a family theme park where people object to not being able to walk around with cocktails, you know it's assumed greater weight than, maybe, it 'should'. I wouldn't have thought, it's unreasonable to say alcohol only in sit-down settings, for example (just an example ;)).

Like I said before, I'm not necessarily advocating for a complete ban. I like the odd drink. :D

I don’t like this idea at all. I am not a big drinker at all but one of my favorite things to do is get a grand marnier slush in France or tipsy ducks in love in China, or a margarita in Mexico while we wander. It’s pleasant and relaxing. I’d hate if it was tied to sit down dining only. We only do a few table service per trip, and the quick service in World Showcase is so good we don’t usually bother with table service there anymore. And my beloved grand marnier slush would not taste very good with the food at Les Chefs de France 🤣

Like I said, I’m not a big drinker but being able to walk around with a drink adds to the ambience of World Showcase, IMO. There’s nothing unhealthy about enjoying a drink and walking around with your family. The majority of people who order drinks at Epcot are responsible and shouldn’t be punished because of the overindulgent folks.

I don’t like this idea at all. I am not a big drinker at all but one of my favorite things to do is get a grand marnier slush in France or tipsy ducks in love in China, or a margarita in Mexico while we wander. It’s pleasant and relaxing. I’d hate if it was tied to sit down dining only. We only do a few table service per trip, and the quick service in World Showcase is so good we don’t usually bother with table service there anymore.

Like I said, I’m not a big drinker but being able to walk around with a drink adds to the ambience of World Showcase, IMO. There’s nothing unhealthy about enjoying a drink and walking around with your family. The majority of people who order drinks at Epcot are responsible and shouldn’t be punished because of the overindulgent folks.

You've taken my comment out of context. :-)

I didn't say it was an unhealthy thing to enjoy or that sit-down only was THE answer. I said it was an example and for the reasons I'd written earlier in the post.

...For me, it's more about the general picture of how the current approach to alcohol changes the atmosphere. It changes the balance of who tends even to go to Epcot in the evenings, especially weekend evenings.

I think that as soon as you have a family theme park where people object to not being able to walk around with cocktails, you know it's assumed greater weight than, maybe, it 'should'.
I wouldn't have thought, it's unreasonable to say alcohol only in sit-down settings, for example (just an example ;)).

Last edited:
I have seen in DCA a few drunk people and it definitely ruins the atmosphere of a Disney park.
“ruins” seems like a stretch. I could see it “detracting from” on occasion but you have to be pretty sensitive for the rare overindulgence to ruin the experience.

I didn't say it was an unhealthy thing to enjoy.

This is the comment that I was referring to:

I am just sharing the perspective that changing to something like sit down only really would affect a lot of responsible people who simply like to get a drink or two and wander the countries. We are a family with small kids. Drinking isn’t a focal point for us, and we are not big drinkers, but we do enjoy getting a drink as we wander World Showcase 🤷🏻‍♀️ I would miss it if we couldn’t do that anymore.

This is the comment that I was referring to:

I know, you replied while I was explaining better. You beat me to it! ;) ..But now I've repeated the context of that one example. It think the context is more important than the example.

I am just sharing the perspective that changing to something like sit down only really would affect a lot of responsible people who simply like to get a drink or two and wander the countries. We are a family with small kids. Drinking isn’t a focal point for us, and we are not big drinkers, but we do enjoy getting a drink as we wander World Showcase 🤷🏻‍♀️ I would miss it if we couldn’t anymore.

I do understand your perspective, too, and I like a cocktail, especially those kind of fruity concoctions they sell at the booths and QS places. :D ...But -- and this is just my perspective - It's not about light drinkers like us. Personally, I'd give it up and just enjoy a nice drink at DS or my resort, or wherever, if it meant a rebalance of the current trend around the world and its overall effect. Having said all that, I'd prefer a different solution if anyone has one!

I know, you replied while I was explaining better. You beat me to it! ;) ..But now I've repeated the context of that one example. It think the context is more important than the example.

I do understand your perspective, too, and I like a cocktail, especially those kind of fruity concoctions they sell at the booths and QS places. :D ...But -- and this is just my perspective - It's not about light drinkers like us. Personally, I'd give it up and just enjoy a nice drink at DS or my resort, or wherever, if it meant a rebalance of the current trend around the world and its overall effect. Having said all that, I'd prefer a different solution if anyone has one!

Fair enough! :)

“ruins” seems like a stretch. I could see it “detracting from” on occasion but you have to be pretty sensitive for the rare overindulgence to ruin the experience.
I feel it does ruin the experience when the point of a Disney park is to be disconnected from the outside world if only for a few hours. People spend ALOT of money on a vacation to experience a Disney park and escape the realities of everyday life. And from this thread this seems to happen quite often at EPCOT. Believe me I am far from “pretty sensitive” and I have drank plenty of times at a Disney park but I also have self control and know my limit. Unfortunately people don’t know their limits and it should be addressed if it is a problem.

I think one of the main indicators is the success of Disney+. People go crazy for Disney characters, right? Yet Epcot is the only park without a lot of IP. I could see AK shifting to more of "authentic world and sustainability" while Epcot is more of a playful approach that injects a ton of IP to link Disney+ with the parks.

I really don't get it.
Me neither, I've read posts about people so drunk they are throwing up in the bushes. I've been travelling to WDW every year for a long time, probably 30 plus trips. Most nights I walk home from EPCOT. I've never seen this. Aside from a few rowdy boys with loud voices, I haven't noticed it as a problem.
I like to wind down my day there, I've been known to have a glass of wine or a grey goose slushy, but drinking isn't the reason for being there. If all I wanted to do was drink, there's plenty of bars around that don't charge a $100 cover.

Me neither, I've read posts about people so drunk they are throwing up in the bushes. I've been travelling to WDW every year for a long time, probably 30 plus trips. Most nights I walk home from EPCOT. I've never seen this. Aside from a few rowdy boys with loud voices, I haven't noticed it as a problem.
I like to wind down my day there, I've been known to have a glass of wine or a grey goose slushy, but drinking isn't the reason for being there. If all I wanted to do was drink, there's plenty of bars around that don't charge a $100 cover.

Never seen it either. The most drunk people I ever saw was this group of three girls and their mom who were pretty giggly/tipsy I remember one of them had a leg cast and was in a wheelchair. Anyway, I was in line for Maelstrom with them and the mom stepped back and fell into me - I had to catch her. All that happened was I ended riding in the same boat as them and they were a hoot! So, whatever, right? Not a big deal.

ETA: Oh, and I forgot to add, the funnest part was in line the girls ware all very into the Norwegian guy on the mural - the big, burly oil-rig man with the red beard - you know the one. They were in LOOOVE with him! 🤣

Agreed. I've seen way more kids throw up at WDW than adults. I guess I just don't have an issue with adults enjoying adult beverages. Not that I don't think some people over-indulge, but the number of people who go and just enjoy a few drinks far outweighs that.

And I may have one or two drinks a trip. So I'm not someone that really drinks much myself, but others partaking doesn't bother me at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter