End of Trip Traditions?

Little E

DIS Veteran
As of today, we have 42 day until we go to the happiest place on Earth, and we are getting SO excited! I know that there have been threads that pose the question about how you START your Disney vacation, but I'm curious about how everyone ENDS their Disney vaycay.

We always start and end our time at Disney in the Magic Kingdom...it's a tradition for our family. There's nothing like walking down Main Street on our first day, and regardless of the park we visit on the last day, we always hop back to Magic Kingdom for one last visit before we leave.

When we hop back to MK on that last evening, we try to hit a few of our fav rides, get our fav snacks one last time, and we always end each trip with a final ride on the People Mover. I know this sounds strange, but hear me out...

We love all the thrill rides, but somehow, the People Mover has a special spot in our hearts. We love zipping through the Space Mountain area, and we love seeing the model of Walt's vision of Epcot. Because it's a long ride, and it has pretty good lighting for certain stretches, we always film a "summary" of our trip. We ask the kids to talk about what we experienced for the first time during the trip (there are always new things to try!), we ask everyone what their favorite rides were, what the weather was like, what our favorite meals were, and we always try to sum up our pixie dust moments, too. Somehow, it helps stave off the inevitable Disney depression a little bit longer to talk about all of the great things during the trip.

This serves a dual purpose, in that we can watch these videos during our long winter months, or when we need a Disney fix between visits, and I helps get us psyched for the next trip. In these next 42 day before our June trip, we'll start watching old videos, and we'll focus especially on the last-night-on-the-People-Mover summaries of our trips.

So, I'm wondering what others do on their last night of a WDW trip? I'm excited to read what other folks' have for WDW end-of-trip traditions!pixiedust:

P.S. Please forgive me if there is already a thread with this subject...I did a little digging, but couldn't find anything. Also, feel free to move this if I haven't posted it in the right spot.

We end our trip at MK, usually with dinner at Be Our Guest and FP+ for Pan and 7DMT afterward.

we've been once but for every other trip i have planned (and cancelled) i worked our last day to be the same.

we returned to magic kingdom, spend an easy day repeating just our fave items and get a dole whip, head over to the cali grill at the CR for our ADR timed just before the fireworks are scheduled to begin. enjoy yummy dinner with a fantastic view of MVMCP fireworks.

Our last day starts with breakfast at Crystal Palace and a day at MK. We enjoy ourselves immensely, then our final dinner is at Ohana. Disney is a special place for us as a family, and that is a treasured tradition.

Interesting after thinking about this..........my wife and I don't have any arrival and depature traditions. All we really do have is "First Flight In and Last Flight Out" FFI/LFO! :P This way we get a full day on both arrival and departure days.

Doug :goofy:

Very standard, but we end our last night at MK no matter the crowd. BOG dinner, fireworks in the old FP section next to Casey's with Starbuck & ice cream (nastalgia from 1st trip), then close down Mainstreet. Like standing in the middle watching the 2nd Kiss Goodnight (nastalgia from 1st trip again)/last bus to resort close down. Last trip, we tried doing an early half day at another park on our departure day. We found it too depressing knowing the day would later end in our own bed at home lol :sad:We're going back to our motto of no park days that can't end at the resort ha.

Our last day is always at MK with breakfast (PPO) at Crystal Palace, a Dole Whip, favourite rides and then just before we exit, we take a ride around the entire park on the train, just to soak in the last bit of magic. :cloud9:

We just get up, make sure we are all packed up....have a nice breakfast, head back to Epcot and take a leisurely stroll around the park.

Great Post.
97 98 99 00, I used to do Disney with my Husband. Because Disney is the kind of vacation where we do a lot of running around, we used to always check our bags and spend a couple of hours by our resort pool on our final day. I found just sitting there, with a little music in my ear, etc was always relaxing. Then we would head back to MK for a final whatever. Now, many years later, I am going solo, and I screwed up my organization for my 2015 trip because I'd never been used to such big crowds. When hubby and I went in 97 to 00 the food and wine festival was NEW... and the last week of OCT / EARLY NOV was considered a very light crowd season. But not now (food&wine, and Halloween party)... it was a mad house in 2015,
This year I want to be more organized and I love your PEOPLE MOVER finale. Who doesn't love the People Mover for a Disney break anyway? I think it would be a great way to wind down. That or DS. During my 2015 stay I did try to get more organized the last three days (8 days total) and I did a great job of it. I had too many ADRs and cancelled all of the remaining for some real "Disney" time. What i did on my last day was to REALLY take my time and enjoy Disney Springs alone. It was so refreshing. I did the Balloon ride again alone (even though I'd already had a great time with some DISer friends a few night back on the balloon). And I just strolled about.

Anyway, because I am already planning my DS for my first day and times in between, I think PEOPLE MOVER and MAIN STREET is a great way to end my stay (going in early November this year). I just may do it and make it a tradition. And on my way out, I can always go to EMPORIUM for some last minute trinkets based on abundance of left over spending money. EMPORIUM was always how I started my stay... it would be a great way to end it!

I love the people mover or train idea! We don't always have an ending tradition by may want to start one now! Especially now because we're moving to Florida and won't have to worry about flights!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We always end our trip at the MK. As we walk out of the last shop coming down Main St, going toward the Train Station and exit, my sister always says "Are you ready to call it a vacation?" Of course I always say nooooo :sad2:. Lol it's nothing spectacular to end a trip on, but it's become a tradition nonetheless :wizard:

Last edited:
Following closely. We used to have a tradition years ago when they stamped your hand as you left the park (anyone remember that?) We always used to be sure to go to a park and get our hand stamped just in case our flight got cancelled and we could come back. Since that stopped, we haven't found any new tradition.

We start and end with Magic Kingdom as well. Our last park day is always Magic Kingdom, and it starts with a breakfast at Crystal Palace, and we usually end up watching the fireworks show that night. Then on departure day, we have a resort breakfast and a mid-afternoon flight home.

We also end our visits with the last evening in MK. My kids love to repeatedly ride BTMR right before closing. Then we stop for one of those huge ice cream sandwiches at the Plaza ice cream shop with one last family photo taken on Main St. The next morning we head over to Boma for a late breakfast to fill us up before hitting the road (~7 hr drive).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter