Enchante (Wish) - fussy eaters

steviebw

Earning My Ears
Hi - doing our first ever cruise on the Wish in August. Hoping to go to Enchante but one of our party is quite a fussy eater - doesn’t eat vegetables, not quite so keen on seafood. Is the restaurant able to bespoke the menu for someone, or is it relatively fixed?

I am gluten free and with advance notice Remy (on the Fantasy, the equivalent of Enchante) was fantastic with accommodations. I assume they would also work with someone that did not have a medical restriction. My only thought is if this person would truly enjoy and appreciate the experience considering the cost associated? Please don't take that the wrong way but as someone that really enjoys fine dining I know people I wouldn't even consider bringing to certain establishments because they would not enjoy it due to their palate and in turn affect my experience as well.

Remy (and, I presume, Enchante) can adjust to dietary restrictions. My family asked in advance for a meal without meat, shellfish, bell peppers and mushroom, and had a wonderful dinner with each course selected by the chef. We just stopped by the host stand on our first night onboard and noted our restrictions on our reservation.

However, I agree with the previous poster that no vegetables at all and no seafood would significantly limit the value of the meal. If your party member really just wants “meat and potatoes”-type food, Palo would be a better option. If the special requests are limited to avoiding seafood and just a few vegetables, that would be more reasonable. If the aversion to vegetables is just a preference, it is possible the way Enchante prepares the vegetables would make them more appealing. For example, my daughter doesn’t usually care for gnocchi, but found the gnocchi at Remy to be melt-in-mouth delicious.

For example, my daughter doesn’t usually care for gnocchi, but found the gnocchi at Remy to be melt-in-mouth delicious.
Oh my goodness the Remy gnocchi is delicious! And I was so excited to be able to have it as I hadn't had any gnocchi since having to remove gluten from my diet!

I’m taking a DCL cruise with a dear friend who has the palate of a picky toddler and I wouldn’t dream of dragging her to Enchante, not worth the cost for her and frankly it would spoil the experience a little for the rest of us. As a previous poster mentioned she would be much happier at Palo where she could have pasta, potatoes and meat, or the MDRs where the flavor profiles are generally more bland. Instead I’m going to make a date night out of Enchante with just me and my DH, and see if the group wants to do a brunch at Palo all together.

OP are you doing 3 or 4 days on Wish? They do rotational dining on DCL ships where you rotate through the 3 main dining rooms on each ship. You also have no status so you are booking activities and speciality dining last so all the spots could be filled.

OP are you doing 3 or 4 days on Wish? They do rotational dining on DCL ships where you rotate through the 3 main dining rooms on each ship. You also have no status so you are booking activities and speciality dining last so all the spots could be filled.
It’s a 4 day cruise. First time, although we are doing concierge so there’s always options there too :)

If the aversion to vegetables is just a preference, it is possible the way Enchante prepares the vegetables would make them more appealing.
If the person is willing to step out of their comfort zone, it can be a wonderful experience. I positively despise mushrooms with the passion of a hundred suns, but I had the most amazing and memorable morel mushroom pasta at V&A's the very first time we went. I still hate mushrooms and won't eat them anywhere else, but I will go out of my comfort zone for V&A and Remy.

I have several allergies - seafood, sunflower, kiwi, spinach - and my last meal at Remy was spectacular. They designed the menu for me which wasn't the French or American menu but rather a selection of items from both and the a la carte options that would most easily accommodate the appropriate modifications while still following a progression of lighter to heavier. But Enchante - I've no idea about that. I feel that their menu is a bit more limited than Remy so we've been reluctant to try it because it does seem quite seafood-heavy. If your party member is not willing to step outside of that comfort zone, then I could see no vegetables at all being very difficult and, as mentioned, the menu is quite seafood-heavy. I'm sure they can accommodate, but would it be worth the price?

I have read /seen reviews of specialty dining on DCL - where a stated dislike can have something else substituted. Not just food allergies and intolerances.

Look over the menu and see if there would be a comparable component that could replace the offensive 🤣 food. For example, chicken or beef for seafood; seafood is a fairly common allergy-inducing food.

I dare say any vegetable served is not going to be what we think of as that vegetable. More importantly, it’s not going to be a big serving of any particular vegetable or other item.

It may help broaden the taste buds of your dining partner. I am a somewhat fussy eater - plain is better, typically. But putting myself in new situations and having the support or chiding of a friend has introduced me to new flavors.

I am still not a fan of mushrooms, but I enjoy the gnocchi over mushroom purée amuse bouche in Palo. Just that one bite.

Enchante did a vegetarian menu for us that was fabulous, and we recently did a cruise with a friend who had an unusual food allergy they were able to accommodate at Remy. That said, I think something as broad as 'doesn't like vegetables or seafood' would be a rough request. And even if you say no seafood, your friend could end up with some more unusual proteins like squab which still might not be...met with enthusiasm. I agree that Palo where the food is a bit less adventurous and chosen a la carte would be a much better fit.

If your party member really just wants “meat and potatoes”-type food, Palo would be a better option.
The Lighter Fare menu usually offers steak, chicken, or (on occasion) fish, with rice, potato, or steamed veggies options.

These types of menus are chef-curated, meaning the chef(s) spend time putting the specific flavors together to create dishes. Yes, they can make substitutions, but when they do it can take away from the 'intent' of a dish. To me, it's different when someone needs a substitution because they can't eat something (like an intolerance or allergy) versus someone wanting a substitution because they don't like/want to eat a food.

I would have the fussy eater look at the menu for Enchante (Disney Cruise Line Blog has them). If they go through and start pointing out all the things they wouldn't want to eat/would want to substitute, then maybe Enchante isn't for them. If they are pretty accepting of the menu as is, then give it a try. As others said, I would encourage them to have an open mind. Things they may not normally eat they may find they like in a different/special preparation as this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter