Earplanes and special needs kids...

Donnask8pro

DIS Veteran
I am contemplating purchasing earplanes for my 11 yr old w/ CP. The last time he flew he cried hard during our decent. I had already given him Benedryl. Does anyone have any experience w/ these? I read somewhere on one of the boards that they made their son sick to his stomach. Thanks for the help.

I've used Earplanes the last three times I've flown, and had no problems with them. I really like them, and hope to never fly without them ever again!!!

At first, I was going to say that I couldn't see anyway these could cause stomach problems, but then I remembered my recent experience with a hearing aide fitting. When the hearing aide was inserted into my ear, I had a coughing fit. The audiologist said that happens with some people, putting something in the ear can trigger a cough. Sometimes coughing can trigger my gag reflex, causing me to vomit. So, just a guess on my part, but maybe this is what happend with the child. I've never had a problem with them, and my daughter didn't either the one time she used them.

I would sure like to hear more about how Earplanes work.

I'm a grown-up but have trouble with panic when I am disoriented about my postion in space. I have a doctor's letter to request seating at a window over the wing or behind it(where I can see the wing). This helps to keep my balance when turning or descending. :guilty:

I use Dramamine and Menthol/Eucalytus Cough Drops to keep my sinus and eustachion tubes open when aboard planes. I also have Ativan if the anxiety is overwhelming, but I don't like how it sedates me. I don't complain, only sympathize, with babies who cry when landing. I feel it, too. :earsboy:

It helps to remember that my Disney World stay is worth it. princess:

I'm sorry if this is over simplifying the problem for you but have you tried giving him something to encourage swallowing? That does the trick for all of us. Chewing gum, nursing as a babe, swallowing a few sips of water, etc..Even just swallowing saliva works if that is a possibility for your son. There is a trick of putting warm water in a cup under your ear at a 90 degree angle that is supposed to work if all else fails.

People on the transportation forum might have ideas for you as well.

I read the link you suggested. Thanks Sue, I will talk with my doctor and may try Earplanes on my next trip. Since noise is a problem for me, too, this might help me to fly with no sedating medication. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter