!!!! Early Roll Call for January 21 2006 Eastern Magic Cruise !!!!

the4nitz's said:
We made it home about 9:00pm Saturday night. We were off the ship and had our rental from Budget by 7:55am. We headed over to Sea World for a short day and then flew home late Saturday afternoon. We enjoyed meeting all of you and had a great time on the cruise. No rebooking for us, but we already have a Jan 27, 2007 booked. Less than a year and we will be back on board.

Now for our one complaint. For those of you who have cruised DCL in the past, what did you think of the food in the dinning rooms? This was are 3rd cruise and have really enjoyed the food, but this time we were not as pleased. To us all of the food seemed bland and sometimes on the cool side. Was this just us or do others think the same. We went to Topsiders on Wednesday night and had a better meal and it was much more relaxing. The meal went quicker and the kids really like that. We could eat all of our dinners at Topsiders based on this years experience. Just had to get this off my chest. I feel better now.

Craig

Craig, with this being our first DCL cruise I have nothing to compare, but I thought the food in the dining room was on the cool side. DH and I rebooked for next February and already decided that about half the time we will be eating at Topsiders in the evening. We sort of got tired of eating big every night which is not our style. We will give the usual gratuities to the servers though. We LOVED LOVED Topsiders and was our favorite place to eat. Great food there and you can take as little or as much as you want!

the4nitz's said:
Now for our one complaint. For those of you who have cruised DCL in the past, what did you think of the food in the dinning rooms? This was are 3rd cruise and have really enjoyed the food, but this time we were not as pleased. To us all of the food seemed bland and sometimes on the cool side. Was this just us or do others think the same. We went to Topsiders on Wednesday night and had a better meal and it was much more relaxing. The meal went quicker and the kids really like that. We could eat all of our dinners at Topsiders based on this years experience. Just had to get this off my chest. I feel better now.

Craig

Craig,
I also agree, the food was cool. The service though, was excellent, I had to comment to our server, Gabor, that he was traveling at 200MPH. Just a thought, could the staggered dining times be the reason for the cooler food?

Brett

plenam said:
Just a thought, could the staggered dining times be the reason for the cooler food?

The staggered dining times should have nothing to do with the cool food. Each restaurant has its own kitchen. Our Asst Server said the only thing in common between any restaurants is that PC and L share the pastry/desert area.

Can't recall temp of the food. I do know we were fooded out by the end of the week. Nothing seemed to make me say WOW that was great. That was not the case last year. I do have to say I liked the Friday night menu though. Much to chose from. We even thought Palo dinner was getting old. Same thing every time. Next time we go, we will do Brunch only in Palo.

Jeff

We decided we won't do Palo at all on the next cruise cuz its just not our style. ALTHOUGH, Jim said the thing food-wise that stood out for him was the filet mignon at Palo. We are going to make use of Topsiders more for dinner and that way we choose what time we eat and how much.

leejay22 said:
I just want to see us hit page 100! :cool1:

Lisa,

If my calculation is correct, we will hit page 100 with the next post.

Who wants to be the lucky person?

Jeff

Didn't notice "cool" food. But (in 6 DCL cruises), we've never thought the food was outstanding. Good and generally satisfying...just not really special. We've been blessed with good servers and nice tablemates and I'm just happy to give up meal planning and preparation for the week!

I can tell you, however, that when we sailed Mariner of the Seas, the food was really sub-par. Bloody chicken, overcooked, grizzly steak, small portion desserts, etc. It definitely took away from the whole cruise experience for us.

We haven't done dinner in Palo since 2001, but still really enjoy brunch. I think that is always our favorite meal onboard. :thumbsup2 Had another great experience this trip. :cloud9:

I haven't tried Topsiders for dinner...your experiences sound so good...I think we'll certainly give it a try next time. :) While I enjoy seeing the family dressed for dinner, it does get to be a bit much every night! :rolleyes2

My dh and I were not super impressed with the food either. But, I did LOVE the pan fried veal (on Sunday in AP)! I hardly eat meat (usually 4-5 bites, then I'm done), but I ate the whole thing!!

As for Palo, I definately liked the brunch better. Dinner was average in my opinion.

Oh yeah, as for medical issues, my ds was in the hospital the morning we sailed. We were staying in the hotel, and at about 4:30 am he woke up having a hard time breathing. It happens to him when ever he gets croup. And man, it comes fast. He was completely fine when he fell asleep. Then on Monday night he had a fever, but it only lasted about 24 hours. Then on Thursday our friends 4 year old got a fever. Thank goodness they are kids, and being sick didn't bother them to much!

Cari

Cari

Good thing we cruised the week we did. I was looking at the docking schedule for February and both times the Magic is in, it will be docking over in Crown Bay.

We got lucky.

Jeff

I saw that too, Jeff. It also looks like there are going to be alot of cruise ships there at once. The tourism board has gotta love that!

unixadm said:
Jeff.....where is Crown Bay, and why would that be bad?

Kevin,

It is over in the next bay. If you go back to page 64 there was a picture of the bay from the top of the Tram. I pointed out that in the back is where Crown Bay is.

It is not the dock you want to come into because there is nothing there, at least for now (I've read they are building a shopping complex there). Also, it is a long cab ride to get anywhere.

Jeff

Jeff,

Ok...now I know exactly what you are talking about. It's in St. Thomas. There was a a family we met up at Paradise Point who was on a ship that docked over there. They had to take a Taxi over to PP to go up the Tramway. I saw exactly where their ship was.

I am assuming you are talking the bay in the left of this pic I took:

CIMG2893.jpg

unixadm said:
Jeff,

Ok...now I know exactly what you are talking about. It's in St. Thomas. There was a a family we met up at Paradise Point who was on a ship that docked over there. They had to take a Taxi over to PP to go up the Tramway. I saw exactly where their ship was.

I am assuming you are talking the bay in the left of this pic I took:

CIMG2893.jpg

Kevin,

Yes, it would be the bay to the left and top of the one the Magic is in. If you look at the back of the bay, there are two small land points on the top of that bay. To the bottom of the second one you see something white. That is where the ships dock.

As you heard from the people you met at Paradise Point, you'd have to take a taxi rather than just walk there from our dock.

Jeff

Criag and whoever else rebooked for January 2007 on board when are you going again? We rebooked for Jan 20, 2007 but looks like we might have to change it we spent WAY to much money on this first one and not sure if we will be able to swing it that soon:guilty:

We re-booked for 2/24/07 but may try to change it to 1/13/07. After 2 Eastern cruises we want to try the western.

clewert said:
Criag and whoever else rebooked for January 2007 on board when are you going again? We rebooked for Jan 20, 2007 but looks like we might have to change it we spent WAY to much money on this first one and not sure if we will be able to swing it that soon:guilty:

We hear you Crystal, we booked out as far as possible with the intention of cruising either late Jan. or early Feb. of 2008. I know it's a long time to wait, but love that planning and anticipation mode.

Brett

We are planning doing the western on Jan 27, 2007 and this time the kids do not know about it. They think we won't be going again.

Craig

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter