Ear-planes - Has anyone used these?

cart-mom

Busy Scout Mom
Has anyone ever tried Ear planes? I'm flying in July with 4 kids and would like to know if they are worth buying or if they are just another gimmick.

TIA:D

I used them for my 2 daughters and even had an extra set with me luckily because a older child who was sitting behind us was really crying with ear pain so I gave it to him and in a matter of minutes he stopped crying!! My opinion is yes go buy them it is worth it.

I've had horrible ear problems since a child. Numerous operations and some hearing loss in one ear. The only time I have a problem with pain is during airplane flights. During take-off and landings I am bent over in excruciating pain. Since finding Ear-Planes that is all over. I put them in for take off and when we reach cruising altitude I take them out, reinserting them when descent starts. To me, these are the best thing since sliced cheese!!!!!

Yes these are well worth buying, however, in my line of work, and with DH being deaf and DS being Hard of hearing, we find the best thing to do, is chew chewing gum(works just the same!).

Jules

Earplanes eliminated most of the pain my kids had flying. Before we had Earplanes, they chewed gum furiously but there were still tears running down their cheeks and DD's ears were sore for several days. When we used Earplanes, they could feel a little bit of discomfort but nothing like before.

Originally posted by signtalker
Yes these are well worth buying, however, in my line of work, and with DH being deaf and DS being Hard of hearing, we find the best thing to do, is chew chewing gum(works just the same!).

Jules

Well, your line of work is great, and the experiences you've had with a deaf DH is definitely an experience. But, before I tried Ear-Planes I tried the gum chewing, the holding my nose and blowing during take-off, (yes, I looked funny doing that), but, I can attest, gum chewing is NOT the "the same".

Don't know if it was the ear planes, antibiotics, or Afrin nasal spray but my 6 year old flew with double ear infections last year and felt no pain!

Used these w/DS for his first flight to WDW a few years ago. We don't fly w/o them! His ears hurt during take off, he complained and I popped them in. He was fine during flight and landing. We had a layover, so we popped them in before our 2nd take-off and he had no problems at all! I think they're worth it.

I used them the last time I flew and I will not fly again without them!!!!!

I never had that terrible pain but my ears would hurt enough to bother me and chewing gum, blowing, drinking water, etc. never really helped. I always spent the first few days on my vacation feeling half deaf because my ears felt "congested" and I could not hear as well. Usually by the time they cleared up we were getting back on the plane to go home and I had to deal with it again.

This last time I used the ear planes and I didn't have any trouble at all. It was amazing and I loved not having that "congested" feeling in my ears. The airport in Orlando was really quite loud! LOL! ;)

Originally posted by jksmom
I have a lot of ear pain on landing. I would love to try these.

I got mine at a local pharmacy. I never looked at Wal-Mart, etc. but they may have them as well.

Originally posted by jksmom
I have a lot of ear pain on landing. I would love to try these.

I got mine at a local pharmacy. I never looked at Wal-Mart, etc. but they may have them as well.

I don't think there is a minimum age for using these. They have adult & child sizes. I saw them at Target as well as a mail order specialty catalog. I'd rather not pay the shipping if I can get them local. I think just about any pharmacy would have them or could get them for you if they didn't carry them.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm definately going to get them!:D

We're travelling with a 3 yo in June, and I was really worried about his ears. Whenever I've flown in the past, it's taken me a couple of days to hear properly again and the pain has been excrutiating. I didn't want to put my little guy through that and start off our vacation in such a negative way. Why have I never heard of these before? I'm going to start looking for some right now!

LOVE these boards!

My kids wouldn't keep them in their ears. My then 15 mo thought it was more fun to play with. I made sure they were drinking from sippy cups on takeoff and landing. I also gave my son some Tylenol ½ hour before flight at doc's recommendation.

I have always had trouble with my ears when flying. It would be days before I could hear again. I would gum chew, drink, hold my nose etc etc etc and nothing worked, until I found Ear Planes they are the best thing and I refuse to fly without them now. I started both my girls with them for their first flight over the age of 1 year (the minum age for Ear Planes) and the one time my older daughter forgot to put them in until after the door was closed she was in tears, so make sure to put them in before the door shuts.

We use them every time we fly. And they are great!
Our DD, who is now 5yr old, has been using them for several years. When she was smaller she didn't like them in her ears either. So I just tried to distract her with a toy and kept my hands near her ears so she couldn't pull them out.
It worked out good. And we always give her a dose of Tylenol Sinus before take off as well. Our family has sinus problems and this seems to help with the pain as well. We also tend to take evening flights which allows her to fall asleep and not be that affected by the air pressure.

We have found Earplanes at Walmart, Target, Walgreens and the grocery store.

Mt husband is a pharmacist, and since we used ear planes on our last trip to Disney from Canada, he recommends them to everyone... as well, we used sinus decongestant meds for ourselves and 5 yr old twins...just check with your friendly pharmacist for the right meds for you. The kids snoozed the whole way there!!

Again, I'd never fly without them! My son and I both wore them last time we flew--- they not only helped my son, but me, too!

Try your local pharmacy... I'm a pharmacist and I special ordered them for us!

I also recommend a decongestant, too---sudafed or dimetapp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter