Ear Infections and Flying with Infants

Mooobooks

Mouseketeer
We've flown with our 10-month old daughter three times, twice to WDW. On two of those occasions she came home with an ear infection which was attributed to the flying.
We're DVC members who live on the east coast and want to go back ASAP, but we don't want to subject our daughter to additional problems.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Anyone out there had the tubes put in their kids ears because of ear infections?
I'd be extremely grateful if anyone had any suggestions (other than the auto train, which is too expensive).

Someone else posted a similar thread recently and was recommended a product called 'Earplanes'. I've never used them, but quite a few DISmembers gave them the thumbs up. If you do a search for 'earplanes' you'll get their website.

You might want to talk with her pediatrician about a decongestion BEFORE she flies. If she is the least lit congested or has even a bit of water on her ear before time, it will be made worse by flying. I would sugest making an ear check appointment(can you tell I have made many of these) about 10 days before the trip to check the status of the ears and get a recomendation and doseage for a decongestion. Good luck with the ears.

Jordan's mom

I have the same concerns with my kids and myself, as my son and I are prone to ear infections. I have heard about the earplanes too and am planning on asking the doctor about it. I made check up appointments four days before we leave just to have the status of their ears checked - one of them is sure to have an ear infection which we can treat before we get to Disney and not after. I am leary of the decongestant idea because they make my kids act weird. Either very sleepy or very wild. Only one of these situations would be ideal for a three hour plane ride.

JFYI- my son had problems with ear infections, one after another. His tonsils were huge - we opted to have his tonsils and his adnoids out but waited on the ear tubes. I suspected that his adnoids were the real problem - sometimes they are enlarged and hold fluid up behind the eardrum. I didn't want him to spend a year trying not to get water in his ears, as he LIVES in the water. He has gone from about 8 infections a year to one or two. Also, I don't advocate this surgery unless absolutely necessary - it was major and my son was in a lot of pain. But for him it turned out to be the best thing for him. My daughter has huge tonsils also, but at this time she is staying relatively infection free, so I'm not going worry about surgery. Just my two cents - Tonia

My youngest DD had many, many ear infections and very high fevers along with the infection. She had tubes put in her ears when she was about 10 months old. Unfortunately, the tubes came out and the infections and high fevers returned. She had the tubes put back in when she was not quite two. After about a year, the tubes came out again, but she doesn't get the ear infections quite so often.

Right before she was three, we were flying to Disney. I brought her to the doctor to have her ears checked, just in case. Well, her ears looked OK, but just to be on the safe side, she gave me a sample of Amoxil that I could fix myself if Allison needed it while we were at Disney. Thankfully, she was fine.

I would definitely suggest making the doctor's appt right before you go. That way, you'll know for sure.

While we dont get the ear infections, my oldest DD cries every time we descend in the plane that her ears are killing her. Every single time have flown, she cries as we land. I found the earplanes for our trip last january and they worked! It was the first time she didnt cry ( borderline screaming) while we were descending!! She said they still hurt a little, but not that much!! Just read the instructions.. I thought we could stick them in as soon as they told us that we were going to start descending, but nope! you have to have them in for I think an hour or 2 BEFORE! Our flight is only 2 hours so now we get them in as soon as we get settled in our seats.

EarPlanes are a great product. . . we use them every time we fly with great success. They are worth the price (around $4.00/pair). Just be sure to read the instructions and follow them carefully. You DO NOT have to put them in hours before. Just board the plane, place them in your ears (not too far in or too tight) BEFORE the cabin door is secured. When cruising altitude is reached you can remove them if you want (I leave them in). When you feel the plane begin the decent, or the pilot announces it, replace them in your ears and DO NOT REMOVE THEM UNTIL THE CABIN DOOR IS OPENED AT THE GATE. This is the important part. They really work well.

I would check with your doctor about a decongestant or antihistime for the flight. I have also used both with great success. Hope this helps.

Good luck and have a great trip! :wave:

DD had numerous ear infections at an early age. When she received her tubes the ear infections went away. Unfortunately, they fell out and the ear infections returned. A 2nd set of tubes were placed and again her infections went away. Best of all her doctor told us that air travel would be EASIER for her thanks to the tubes. She enjoyed swimming, just not going more than 4 feet under-not that a 3-4 yr old does. Both tube surgeries were easy (easier on DD than Mom & Dad!), and the results were great. DD5 just had her final ear appt. last week. Her hearing is perfect.

Ear Planes are great, but not for babies under a year old.

I agree with those to check with your pediatrician regarding a decongestant before flying.

Good luck! :)

Thanks everyone on this post. I have always used decongestant for myself but have been hesitant on using anything for my dd. I will be booking an appointment for her a few days before our trip.

MandaMom

We just flew home on the 23rd. DS (22 months) has had numerous ear infections. I bought some ear planes for him but he did not keep them in for more than about 5 seconds. I gave him a decongestant and some ibuprofen on the flight. We were fine this trip. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with good timing though.

I do have a friend whose husband and kids get ear infections ver often after flying. Their peditrician gives them a prescription before any trip so that they can go to a pharmacy if the need arises. My pediatrician would never do that though.

Best of luck to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter