DVCM vs DVD

accm

DIS Veteran
Can someone explain the difference between DVCM and DVD to me like I'm 5 please. My understanding is that DVCM deals with the management of the "club", and that DVD deals with the construction of resorts and sale of points.

Is there ever any overlap between the two? Would DVCM ever manage something for DVD?

DVD is the developer and the ones who build and sell the property. They create the rules, POS, etc.

DVCM is the management company and simply are in charge of running things for owners at each resort, which is what we hired them to do.

Some aspects overlap as MA which handles contracts is connected to DVD.

DVD is the developer and the ones who build and sell the property. They create the rules, POS, etc.

DVCM is the management company and simply are in charge of running things for owners at each resort, which is what we hired them to do.

Some aspects overlap as MA which handles contracts is connected to DVD.
Would there ever be a situation where DVCM would be in charge of construction of a new sales location? I feel like that would be DVD, no?
And if my assumption is correct, what’s the appropriate person to contact at DVCM about that?

Sorry about the vagueness, I just don’t want to accuse anyone of anything without verifying first

No, DVD is in charge of all things related to new projects and building.

DVCMC oversees the schedules for the refurbishments and such for resorts open and operating.

Since sales are in DVDs wheelhouse, I’d say they are the ones who decide where and when sales centers are created.

Think of it like a new townhouse development going into your neighborhood. There is a builder/realtor who builds the townhouses and sells them. Until the townhouses sell out, or come close to it, they run things and market the townhouses for sale. Once the last townhouse is sold (and sometimes before that), a management company steps in - now the landscaping is hired out to a management company, if siding needs to be replaced the management company takes care of it, and if, as a resident, you have a problem you bring it to the management company. If you sell your townhouse, neither the management company or the developer has a role.

They are technically four organizations for DVC:

1. DVD, the lead DVC company that develops and builds the timeshares, holds the long-term lease of the land on which they sit, prepares all the POS's, controls any new construction at an already existing resort, sells the timeshares, has the right of first refusal on any resales, forecloses on members who fail to pay dues, controls any DVC sales offices or booths at WDW. DVD always retains at least 2% of each unit in a resort, and can use that and ownership interests it acquires via right of first refusal or foreclosures, to reserve DVC rooms to the the public.

2. The association for each resort, whose directors and officers are all appointed by DVD, via a vote at an annual meeting in Dec that members can attend, but cannot vote because under the POS documents they have assigned all their rights to vote to DVD. The principal activity of the association is to enter into contracts with other organizations, principally DVCM and BVTC. Otherwise the association does little.

3. DVCM, the management company for each resort, whose directors and officers are all appointed by DVD,which is retained by the association to basically do all things an association would usually be required to do, except for those things that the association assigns to BVTC (next paragraph). DVCM enters into contracts with other Disney entities to provide resort transportation, security, and all the employees who work at the resort (who are actually not employed by any DVC entity, e.g., most are employed by the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Co. (WDPR), and DVCM pays that entity for the portion of overall labor costs applicable to DVC Resorts). DVCM is also responsible for home resort reservations and centralized Member Services applicable to the reservation systems and generally any centralized Member Services relating to the combined resorts, other than those assigned to BVTC. DVCM can also put into the central Disney reservation system for renting any rooms at a resort that are still open at 60-days or fewer out from date of arrival (and, in reality, it can make those reservations before 60-days out based on reasonable estimates of what will probably still be open at 60-days out),

4. BVTC, the designated company that handles members exchanges with non-DVC resorts, and exchanges from outside resorts into DVC, and is responsible for the DVC Reservation Component of the centralized reservation system, which is responsible for all reservations made by members at 7-months out for DVC resorts the member does not own. Its officers and directors are all appointed by DVD, and in reality its reservation system is just part of the overall reservation system, and the employees for both home resort and non-home resort reservations are the same people.

In essence, all four of the entities are controlled by DVD. As to the construction of a new sales location at a DVC Resort, that would be DVD, although it would be communicating its plans to WPDR at WDW, the owner of the land, to assure it does not have objections to what is being done. As to who you would actually contact about such construction, that I do not know, and I cannot even find a phone number for DVD itself online, and going through the general DVC number for members does not offer any options that get you directly to DVD. Also, the corporate form of DVD was changed in Dec 2023. It was the "Disney Vacation Development, Inc.," before then, and is now the "Division Vacation Development, LLC," a limited liability company.

Last edited:
Would there ever be a situation where DVCM would be in charge of construction of a new sales location? I feel like that would be DVD, no?
And if my assumption is correct, what’s the appropriate person to contact at DVCM about that?

Sorry about the vagueness, I just don’t want to accuse anyone of anything without verifying first
Interesting, please tell us more.
We are shy of accusing DVD of foul play here, that's how we made them change point charts twice and tax refunds once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter