DVC Slap In The Face

I think you're wrong about the impact on member dues. Most of the rooms rented to cash guests via CRO are facilitated by members using their points to book outside of DVC.

It's a little difficult to explan, but here's the gist:

1. Member uses points to book a Disney Cruise.
2. DVC transfers cash cash equivalent to DCL (they expect to get paid for the cabin being given to a DVC member.)
3. DVC takes member's points and uses them to block-off DVC villa(s) earmarked for cash guests.
4. If (and that's a big "if") CRO is able to rent those villas to cash guests, DVC recoups the money it originally paid to DCL. If they get more than what was paid for the member's cruise, chalk it up as profit to DVC. But given other discussions here about the new $95 fee being imposed on all Disney Collection bookings, rumor is that DVC is actually losing money on these transactions.

Regardless of the bottom-line, NONE of these dollars go toward member dues.

DVC can also use the points it is holding (like the thousands of unsold points at AKV and SSR) and use them to set aside rooms for cash guests. Again, since Disney owns the points, they keep the money. No benefit to member due.

The ONLY source of revenue that would go toward offsetting member dues is via a rule that states 60-days prior to any given date, all unbooked DVC rooms are made available to CRO. Starting today, cash guests can book all vacant DVC rooms for nights between now and October 27th (60 days from now.) The funds received from those bookings, less admin fees applied by DVC and CRO, would go down as a credit toward dues.

But we're not talking about big dollars here. In the current SSR budget this revenue stream amounted to $.08 per point. If it disappeared tomorrow, 2008 dues may see a one-time bump of $.08 per point (which is less than 2% of dues), but in subsequent years the increases would be back in the historical 3-4% neighborhood.

These packets sent to cash guests SHOULDN'T be paid for by member dues.

I see that it is all in the cards. However do you know that for sure!

Man, some of you guys are really pissed off lately. Maybe a time out? I suggest getting back to flame wars about which resort is best. I'll start! The biggest surprise in this thread is that there was NOT availability at SSR! :goodvibes
OMG, that was funny.

FYI, to those worried about the pamphlets going to cash guests being paid for by member dues- no I don't beleive that is happening. What our dues pay for is pretty specific and regulated.

I agree with those saying they would rather get an email or nothing at all as opposed to paying (via dues) MS to send out glossy pamphlets to DVC members when each time they book a trip. I understand why cash guests would get something like that and why DVC members don't.

sorry but you didn't answer my question. If you really wanted help - I would think you would?

again - what are the dates, type of unit and which DVC resort are you trying for?

also remember that members who don't want their points in holding must cancel before the 31 day limit. So at 33 to 32 days before you trip - some DVC units might be available.

that say if you are looking for the impossible - then someone here can tell you.

but you sound like you only want to complain.

I agree w/other posters, I would rather have lower dues than higher dues to get a pamplet.

Also, we too booked a SSR a couple nights on cash and have not received anything from GM or any brochures. All we received is the standard letters.

I see that it is all in the cards. However do you know that for sure!

Not sure what you're addressing: the cash reservation revenues or who is paying for the mailers?

If it's the revenues from cash guests, it appears in the budget so we know exactly what it is. Disney could be using "fuzzy math" to dilute those revenues (and I'm sure there are ample service charges being applied by CRO and perhaps DVC, too.) But all we stand to lose is what's in the budget. For SSR in 2007 that's less than eight cents per point. Not much ambiguity there.

As for the mailers, certainly bookkeeping could be lax to the point that the costs are getting charged back to members. It's SHOULDN'T be, but obviously I have no way of knowing for certain. However, spread among a $26 million dollar operating budget, I suspect the cost of printing and mailing welcome notices to a few hundred cash guests per year is not very substantial.

I feel like DVC just slapped me in the face. We wanted to use points for our up coming trip but there was no room at SSR. We ended up using our AP rate and booked at SSR through CRO of course they had room.

Today we received in the mail a very pretty, 3 part custom printed very colorful vacation tip pamphlet. It welcomes us to SSR and is signed by Sonya the SSR GM.

I find it interesting that we get this beautiful mailing when paying cash, but nothing when staying on points. In fact, until I got this mailing, I never knew who the GM was and we have stayed at SSR several times. Seems like the separate company dividing line between DVC and CRO is getting smaller every day.:sad2:

Which trip your September one or December one. Well either way you are trying to get a reservation pretty last minute. There is never a guarantee that you can use DVC points with that little time in advance. Yes even at 4 months especially at peak times like Christmas and definitely not at a month out. I made my last reservation with points at 55 days out and knew I could not get my home resort or any other DVC for that matter at least not for the amount of points I wanted to spend. So I did not even try and I used my points as reservation points and booked Fort Wilderness, I knew I wouldn't have any problems as that is far from being FW peak time. I know as a DVC Member that if I want somewhere specific and a specific time I better book at that 11month window for my home resort or 7month window at other resorts. You start to get under the 7 month and your choices are slim. If you are going to wait, you better have many back up dates and/or places you want to stay, so that MS can search around and find at least your 2nd 3rd or 4th choices, etc.

I wouldn't want the mailing either. I have a hard enough time accepting the folder package a second time when I am going from one resort to the other in a single trip. Save a tree!

You do realize that trees are the number one cause of forest fires, right?

I'm truly sorry you're so unhappy but I'd be grateful if that was my biggest issue in life. DVC brings me joy that isn't harmed by not hearing "Welcome home", getting a mailing, or some other small thing. SSR is a huge property and I'm sure they'd like to maximize use by cash guests. I'm okay with Disney doing business.

As for the mailers, certainly bookkeeping could be lax to the point that the costs are getting charged back to members. It's SHOULDN'T be, but obviously I have no way of knowing for certain. However, spread among a $26 million dollar operating budget, I suspect the cost of printing and mailing welcome notices to a few hundred cash guests per year is not very substantial.

And if it is, its one of those things that's fairly likely to be caught in audit. There are legal restrictions around what our dues can and cannot be used for and while "people make mistakes" usually companies are pretty tight when it comes to meeting regulatory requirements.

Go to Disney's Web site, there is a "special" for SSR in a studio or a one bedroom for Oct-Dec, it does have a few black out dates. There must be a good bit of availability. I just saw it tonight. It may have been there longer.

I wouldn't take it as a slap in the face. As a matter of fact, I would prefer not to have my dues paying for expensive mailings.

Just hope you enjoy your trip:goodvibes

Just my .02

And here I was thinking I was the only one who looked at those mailings and thought....GEEZ, give me something I can really use (like a day's admission to one of the parks). Although I'm thinking about things like the glicee (or however you spell it) and other "gifts" to promote DVC. Don't they know I already own?:rolleyes1

Not sure what you're addressing: the cash reservation revenues or who is paying for the mailers?

If it's the revenues from cash guests, it appears in the budget so we know exactly what it is. Disney could be using "fuzzy math" to dilute those revenues (and I'm sure there are ample service charges being applied by CRO and perhaps DVC, too.) But all we stand to lose is what's in the budget. For SSR in 2007 that's less than eight cents per point. Not much ambiguity there.

Got it!! Thanks for the info. It makes a lot of sense.

I guess that part of my irritation is that SSR is a non shared DVC property as is OKW. As a DVC Member we have never been greeted by the SSR GM, but non members get a personalized mailing welcoming them to SSR. It almost seems like they care about cash customers more than DVC Members, even at a DVC resort. :sad2:

I tend to agree, either everyone should get it or no one should.

As much as I love trees I have to say I think everyone should get it. Its nothing major when you do get it on cash stays, but its one of those little things that makes Disney...Disney. It makes it feel more personal, less like a number in a system(even though thats all we truly are). ALl those little things are what add up in the end.

Who cares about member dues being effected. We are paying thousands for a week long vacation between transportation, passes, food, and entertainment (not too even mention the membership itself) and people are worried about another 50 cents. Come on.

I feel like DVC just slapped me in the face. We wanted to use points for our up coming trip but there was no room at SSR. We ended up using our AP rate and booked at SSR through CRO of course they had room.

Today we received in the mail a very pretty, 3 part custom printed very colorful vacation tip pamphlet. It welcomes us to SSR and is signed by Sonya the SSR GM.

I find it interesting that we get this beautiful mailing when paying cash, but nothing when staying on points. In fact, until I got this mailing, I never knew who the GM was and we have stayed at SSR several times. Seems like the separate company dividing line between DVC and CRO is getting smaller every day.:sad2:

I know it is frustrating to not be able to use your points when CRO has availability. But remember that is part of the plan. Disney owns a portion of each resort.

As others have said, try again...I don't necessarily think that you need a CM with 10+ years....it can simply be a matter of inventory changing moment to moment. Try again.

As for the mailer...before each and every DVC vacation I get a customized e-mail...with pretty pictures of the resort I will be staying at, etc. No, it is not a glossy pamphlet that I can actually hold, but the idea is the same and e-mail is cost effective.

I always love getting that e-mail because it means my trip is right around the corner. Make sure DVC has your e-mail address and then you will get an e-mail (instead of the pamphlet) before each points-based stay.

Again, I understand your frustration, though a "slap in the face" seems a bit over the top as a reaction. It would not be that big of a deal to me.

I know it is frustrating to not be able to use your points when CRO has availability. But remember that is part of the plan. Disney owns a portion of each resort.

As others have said, try again...I don't necessarily think that you need a CM with 10+ years....it can simply be a matter of inventory changing moment to moment. Try again.

As for the mailer...before each and every DVC vacation I get a customized e-mail...with pretty pictures of the resort I will be staying at, etc. No, it is not a glossy pamphlet that I can actually hold, but the idea is the same and e-mail is cost effective.

I always love getting that e-mail because it means my trip is right around the corner. Make sure DVC has your e-mail address and then you will get an e-mail (instead of the pamphlet) before each points-based stay.

Again, I understand your frustration, though a "slap in the face" seems a bit over the top as a reaction. It would not be that big of a deal to me.

Maybe slap in the face was a little strong. It seems to me that the DVC used to value their members more. We used to get a Welcome Home for DVC stays. Now I understand that everyone at any Disney property gets a Welcome Home. We have never received a email before a trip and they have my correct email address. I feel like once you become a member, they know that they have you and all of their attention is on new prospective customers. I'm still waiting a call back about the AKV tapestry and I have called them several times.

Maybe slap in the face was a little strong. It seems to me that the DVC used to value their members more. We used to get a Welcome Home for DVC stays. Now I understand that everyone at any Disney property gets a Welcome Home. We have never received a email before a trip and they have my correct email address. I feel like once you become a member, they know that they have you and all of their attention is on new prospective customers. I'm still waiting a call back about the AKV tapestry and I have called them several times.

I would hate to think that they treat us poorly because they already have our money. I have read many posts that surmise this very thing, though. :sad2:

Not sure what one has to do to get the e-mail. It is "signed" by our guide, though it comes from the DVC address, not her personal address. I wonder if it something that guides have to do/schedule, thus not all guides do it. :confused3

I would hate to think that they treat us poorly because they already have our money. I have read many posts that surmise this very thing, though. :sad2:

Not sure what one has to do to get the e-mail. It is "signed" by our guide, though it comes from the DVC address, not her personal address. I wonder if it something that guides have to do/schedule, thus not all guides do it. :confused3

In the DVD Sales Tracking Program you must be tagged as a possible add on prospect so you get emails. They know that I am broke so I guess I am out of luck. :sick:

Go to Disney's Web site, there is a "special" for SSR in a studio or a one bedroom for Oct-Dec, it does have a few black out dates. There must be a good bit of availability. I just saw it tonight. It may have been there longer.

That's interesting because when we called up about 10 days ago for Oct 25 - Nov 5 we were told SSR was full! We managed to get a studio for Nov 2-3 but are on a wait list for the 4th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter