DVC retirement planning

Well, here we are, 1400 + points and I spent 3 Januarys in FL, this last one with DH, because he is retired now. My agility isn't nearly as good as it was when this thread was begun. We are looking to retire to FL, very likely the Kissimmee area and hopefully we will be able to sell our Ohio house this calendar year.

As far as our points, I don't think I want to sell stripped contracts, we are nearly out of 2014 points and have a dent in 2015, so we may keep them for awhile at least. We have HHI trip this year, and lots of visits to VB. We still really like the BCs there.

I enjoyed our Januarys, but last year it was a warm winter, and it almost felt like a "waste" whereas this year, we could have spent ALL of January and February there. I'm ready to spend the whole winter in FL and use our points for special trips to Vero and I'm thrilled that concierge level at some of the hotels are available to us now. I will always go for F&G and F&W and there's no pool that makes me as happy as SAB, when I swim, I don't hurt!

We probably will sell some of our points, but I don't see it happening before 2016.

Bobbi:goodvibes

HaHa...I started reading this thread and then saw the dates: 2003? Funny, though, because I was just thinking along these same lines. We plan on moving to a warmer climate, tho not as far down as Florida. But was thinking how nice it will be to go to WDW without the hassle of airlines, rental cars, etc. Then I've been reading on here about how people are upset with the price increase to WDW tickets....seems alot of people want to dump their contracts. so I think maybe we will kind of sit back and watch what happens. Would love to add on with some smaller contracts here and there....but not at the asking prices at this time. I knew resale would go up when VGF came on-line. Waiting for another down-turn. Maybe another six months....until Poly gets closer to being finished. I've never been sorry about any of our DVC purchases...except maybe SSR when it first opened. Paid way too much, but we've used those points for BWV, BLT and Aluani, so not really THAT sorry.

We're pretty close to retirement age, (5 years) and I'm looking forward to our first trip to Vero. I love the ocean, and we've thought of moving to Florida when we retire. If I can get my "ocean viewing fix" at Vero Beach, then living very close to either coast wouldn't be as important to us when we do move to Florida. We could "vacation" there without air travel costs and without much driving. So, our Vero trip will be another step towards planning our retirement move. We've checked out Marco Island, Ft. Meyers, Tarpon Springs, Winter Park and Key West, so far. We will probably keep our Cape May NJ home as well.

Not to butt in but just last year we bought a condo in St Augustine Fl we are less than 10 min from a wonderful beach that runs on forever. We decided we did not want to be right on beach. The prices in this area are super reasonable especially Palm Coast just below us. Funny we started out looking for something like OKW condo 1400 sq ft and wound up with 1680 and it even looks like OKW on outside. taxes great too and breaks for seniors. Now with all going on at Disney thinking of sell some or all of our points. So I now have my OKW condo and the beach...so far great choice

If my DW would approve, I would certainly add on to spend 2-3 winter weeks at OKW, but I am not holding my breath.

THe problem with DVC(excluding HH and VB) is that Jan/Feb is a crap shoot as far as weather is concerned....central FLA is not the same as Ft. Myers or Marco Island.

If I had a month or more to spend, then I would probably be OK, but over a 2-3 weeks span one could run into many many days of 50's and damp which can be a major bummer.

Somehow we need to move WDW about 200 miles further south for Jan/Feb months to take advantage of the better weather.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a condo for the month every year vs buying enough points to stay at DVC for a month? Just the MF alone would be $3000. There are tons of condos you could rent for a much cheaper price especially by the month vs week.

An annual pass would be a must.

My husband and I hope to have ZERO points by the we retire... Only because our dream is to live at Golden Oaks on property!!! Sigh... DW everyday :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter