DVC Merch and Resale Members

Tatebeck

Mouseketeer
We just got back from our first trip to WDW since buying into DVC. We bought in resale due to the massive savings. While we were there we wanted to buy a DVC pin to commemorate our membership.

The cast member cashier wanted to make sure we were DVC members, so I pulled it up in the profile of the MDE app to show that I am a member. Then the cashier wanted me to go into my digital wallet to see my membership there (since it shows whether you are a direct or resale member). So I did that as well and she said that I was unable to buy the pin because the DVC-ND means "no discount" -her words. I said I don't want a discount, I just want to buy the pin. She said she had to get the manager, then she disappeared. When she returned she said the manager would let us buy it this time.

I thought from reading on here that resale members would still be able to buy DVC merch, just wouldn't be able to get DVC discounts and other perks. Is it normal to get pushback upon buying DVC merch as a resale member or did we just get a disagreeable cast member? I thought they would let you buy merch, since I'm basically paying to advertise for them lol.

And weirdly enough they were sticklers about the pin, but when we upgraded our tickets to annual passes while on our trip, the cast member could see that we were DVC and upgraded us to the Sorcerer's pass :wizard: (without us even mentioning it) even though that is supposed to be for direct members only... 🤷‍♂️

We just got back from our first trip to WDW since buying into DVC. We bought in resale due to the massive savings. While we were there we wanted to buy a DVC pin to commemorate our membership.

The cast member cashier wanted to make sure we were DVC members, so I pulled it up in the profile of the MDE app to show that I am a member. Then the cashier wanted me to go into my digital wallet to see my membership there (since it shows whether you are a direct or resale member). So I did that as well and she said that I was unable to buy the pin because the DVC-ND means "no discount" -her words. I said I don't want a discount, I just want to buy the pin. She said she had to get the manager, then she disappeared. When she returned she said the manager would let us buy it this time.

I thought from reading on here that resale members would still be able to buy DVC merch, just wouldn't be able to get DVC discounts and other perks. Is it normal to get pushback upon buying DVC merch as a resale member or did we just get a disagreeable cast member? I thought they would let you buy merch, since I'm basically paying to advertise for them lol.

And weirdly enough they were sticklers about the pin, but when we upgraded our tickets to annual passes while on our trip, the cast member could see that we were DVC and upgraded us to the Sorcerer's pass :wizard: (without us even mentioning it) even though that is supposed to be for direct members only... 🤷‍♂️
They're all over the place on this. There are no restrictions on resale members buying the DVC merch, way to make your customer feel uncomfortable. On past trips I've had to prove membership and show photo I.D. to get the discount. On my trip in January, my son and son-in-law were given the discount on merchandise bought through mobile checkout without me even being present. I'm the only DVC member in my household.

interesting. My understanding is that you need to qualify to buy special pins: AP & DVC. Not much different in only being able to buy MNSSHP & MVMCP pins in the MK

Quite odd WDW Nitpicked selling a pin while offering an ‘free’ AP upgrade.

From what I understand that is akin to catching a unicorn🦄

I wouldn’t count on calling DVC at renewal time and expect it to be granted as it is stated as a direct sale perk.

While most DVC items don’t require you to be eligible for membership extras, or even be DVC, some items are and the special pins is one of those items.
Ok, so most other items besides the pins (clothes, backpacks, etc) should be fine if we find anything else we like from the DVC line next time we go?

Ok, so most other items besides the pins (clothes, backpacks, etc) should be fine if we find anything else we like from the DVC line next time we go?

Yes…my friends bought me a DVC shirt last February as a gift and they aren’t even members!

They can keep their merch. Designs have been looking pretty over the top lately, and/or poorly made. Bought a shirt from Riviera and it completely faded after a couple washes. Ended up buying a cricut machine and my wife designs our own Disney shirts and gear now!

There is someone on FB who reports consistently being able to renew her AP despite being resale (and CM knowing she is resale). Idk. Maybe she’s just consistently lucky.

There is someone on FB who reports consistently being able to renew her AP despite being resale (and CM knowing she is resale). Idk. Maybe she’s just consistently lucky.
She consistently reminds everyone of it and consistently pats herself on the back for the accomplishment. That, and her claim to have helped “many, many” other resale owners do the same.

Our pals who just bought resale got Sorcerer passes too. I told them there was no way they would get them, but they called, and asked, and didn't lie but answered honestly that they were resale, and got them anyway.

So is this really true? You have to be a DVC direct member to buy DVC merchandise at full price?

I remember a while back there was a thread on here discussing the fact that non-grandfathered resale members were unable to purchase the DVC magic band online. It seems silly to me, but I guess DVC's sandbox - DVC's rules. It would just be nice if they would be consistent.

She consistently reminds everyone of it and consistently pats herself on the back for the accomplishment. That, and her claim to have helped “many, many” other resale owners do the same.

Accurate about her claims - but they could also be true.

I remember a while back there was a thread on here discussing the fact that non-grandfathered resale members were unable to purchase the DVC magic band online. It seems silly to me, but I guess DVC's sandbox - DVC's rules. It would just be nice if they would be consistent.
Yea that was just silly, could buy the same band in person lol

So...are all DVC pins only for direct members? Or just specific ones?

We bought some at the shop at Wilderness Lodge in January and they didn't ask us to prove we were DVC members at all. (Here's what we purchased - https://www.instagram.com/disneypinsblog/p/C2alsKVuzVo/ )

We didn't get a DVC discount, of course. Just the Disney Visa discount.
Off topic, but I heard some reports that there's no longer a $50 minimum requirement for the Disney visa discount. Is that true?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter