• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Benefits at port check in

this is strange about not getting the laynards on your first cruise--we did several years ago

so we now have 10 total (for just the 2 of us) silver and nest year for Hawaii well get our first gold

how long ago did they change that if its your first cruise you don't get the laynard

If you got lanyards on your first cruise, then the individual checking you in made a mistake. Lanyards were always a Castaway Club gift (so had to be on your second or more sailing). They used to have Castaway Club pins on them when they were generic lanyards. When they first moved to the different colors for different levels, they were pretty strict about giving lanyards to anyone who wasn't that Castaway Club level. I think as the years have passed, the desk agents (who are not DCL employees) can be more lax at times but DCL's rule has always been that lanyards are for Castaway Club members only.

If you got lanyards on your first cruise, then the individual checking you in made a mistake. Lanyards were always a Castaway Club gift (so had to be on your second or more sailing). They used to have Castaway Club pins on them when they were generic lanyards. When they first moved to the different colors for different levels, they were pretty strict about giving lanyards to anyone who wasn't that Castaway Club level. I think as the years have passed, the desk agents (who are not DCL employees) can be more lax at times but DCL's rule has always been that lanyards are for Castaway Club members only.

DVC has lanyards, hats and other swag at their meetups for members (pitch to buy more points of course). They don't show up in your stateroom but you can get some if you go to one of the DVC presentations. I always go for the hat.

The cruise DVC desk is DVC marketing. It is not a perk and not paid out of your dues! They are there to sell timeshares and you the DVC member are both seen as buyers and evangelists of DVC. They are marking you as people other people know they can ask about DVC ownership (unpaid salespeople or poorly paid if you consider a pin, lanyard and hat payment :-) ).

Enjoy your cruise

Personally, we have our own lanyards that we like and no longer even take the ones Disney gives us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter