Dumb question re: volcanoes, but just making sure.....

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
There are no active volcanoes on Oahu, right? If my kids want to see lava, we pretty much need to go to Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island, yes?

Sorry for the dumb question; never been to Hawaii before.

If the kids want to see lava, now is a GREAT time. It is flowing again on private land so http://www.kalapanaculturaltours.com/ is offering once in a lifetime tours to get up close and personal.

In 2012 we were lucky enough to walk right up to lava, could have touched it if we wanted. Here is my son who was 9 at the time.

DSC_9050e-X2.jpg

We do not want to touch the lava. :rotfl:
Well, you could touch plenty of igneous rocks (fancy talk for "dried lava"). lol

Just a cultural note, it’s taboo to take rocks away from Tutu Pele and for some people, throwing things in/at the flowing lava is akin to throwing something at the Goddess herself. Totally mythological, of course, but I like to tell people in case the “old ways” are of interest or important to folks.

You cannot guarantee that going to the Big Island you will see any lava flows. It's not always flowing, or safe, but it is a great place to visit for a few days (Hilo and VNP).

You cannot guarantee that going to the Big Island you will see any lava flows. It's not always flowing, or safe, but it is a great place to visit for a few days (Hilo and VNP).

Thanks. Yes, I know there are no guarantees, but my kids would disown me if we didn't at least try. ;)

I guess my next question is whether the Disney excursion is worth the money, or if it's better to do it on my own.

I don't mind some extra planning on my part if it saves me some decent $$$.

Well, you could touch plenty of igneous rocks (fancy talk for "dried lava"). lol

Just a cultural note, it’s taboo to take rocks away from Tutu Pele and for some people, throwing things in/at the flowing lava is akin to throwing something at the Goddess herself. Totally mythological, of course, but I like to tell people in case the “old ways” are of interest or important to folks.
We were only following in the example set by our guides.

I also inadvertently brought home a few pebbles. Turns out the soles of my shoes melted and I picked up some small lava rocks that followed me home.

Last edited:
Depends. Are you going to the Big Island regardless? I'd personally book a couple days there, and then see what the conditions are. At least you'd see the park, which is amazing (I lived on Oahu and went there, sadly, once, but am taking my DD there this summer for a few days during our month long trip). The park has beautiful hikes. I've never seen lava flows though, but not too interested in that really.

I guess my next question is whether the Disney excursion is worth the money, or if it's better to do it on my own.

I don't mind some extra planning on my part if it saves me some decent $$$.
If you want to price it on your own look for flights on Hawaiian from HNL to ITO(Hilo) and a rental car. Picking a random date about 30 days from now gets a round trip fare around $175 per person. A rental car for the day would be $50-$150.

It cost us $400 back in 2012 for the guided tour to the lava.

We were staying on The Big Island at the time with a split trip with Oahu.

Depends. Are you going to the Big Island regardless? I'd personally book a couple days there, and then see what the conditions are. At least you'd see the park, which is amazing (I lived on Oahu and went there, sadly, once, but am taking my DD there this summer for a few days during our month long trip). The park has beautiful hikes. I've never seen lava flows though, but not too interested in that really.

I am in the very preliminary stages of scouting out this trip. I knew the volcano thing was a must-do for my kids, but I'm still sifting through what else to do. Dole plantation? Mauna Kea observatory? U.S.S. Arizona memorial?

If you want to price it on your own look for flights on Hawaiian from HNL to ITO(Hilo) and a rental car. Picking a random date about 30 days from now gets a round trip fare around $175 per person. A rental car for the day would be $50-$150.

It cost us $400 back in 2012 for the guided tour to the lava.

We were staying on The Big Island at the time with a split trip with Oahu.

Would you happen to know if ferries are an option? I have no idea if the islands are close enough together where ferries are viable, but my wife is not a big fan of puddle-jumpers.

We were only following in the example set by our guides.

I'm not saying you yourself are somehow a rude and disrespectful person. As you said, you simply followed the example of the individuals leading you around. I'm just looking out for people like myself and would appreciate knowing in advance that certain things could be considered taboo. Of course, following it or not is the prerogative of the individual. I'm just one of those people who finds comfort and inspiration in the little bit of mythology that I know. I'm more obsessed with it than most locals I know. lol Kind of like how a new convert is usually the most zealous.

No ferries. Hawaiian Airlines uses Boeing 717 for inter island fights.

I just ran a search using Hawaiian's iOS app for 1/15/18 and it gave me a RT fare of $475 per person. What the what-what?

Using Google Flights, I found the ~$175 you mentioned.

For us, we are staying at Aulani exclusively on DVC points. So we'd need to also factor in transportation both to and from HNL as well.

Last edited:
I always recommend having a rental car for transportation on Oahu.

I'd do overnight on the Big Island. There is way too much to see just in VNP.

IMO, you'd want a rental car both on Oahu and the Big Island. How much is the Aulani excursion per person? What exactly does it include? Doing it on your own can be cheaper and gives you more flexibility, but I can understand the convenience of doing the Aulani excursion. We did a few guided tours from our Waikiki hotel just for the ease of it. We chalked the price up to the cost of convenience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter