DS2 broke his wrist. Do we still go??

cgcw

<font color=cc0099>On the blinkie Crocs foot-fetis
DS2 just broke his wrist:( . He's a very active child and now I'm a bit concerned about taking him to WDW. We're leaving in less than a month so I'm certain the cast will still be on. We won't be seeing the orthopedic surgeon for a couple of days, he just has the temporary cast on at this point. I have no experience with any broken bone so I don't know what to expect down the road. I've heard from friends that the permanent cast can be made as a waterproof one so that he can still swim, weather permitting. Has anyone taken a little one to WDW with a cast and if so, do you have any tips? I'm considering putting off our trip until the cast comes off but then it's probably going to be after Christmas and we'll miss all the festivities. Any suggestions? TIA!

You didn't say how old your DS was but if he is old enough to understand I would go and explain to him that he has to be careful while you are at WDW. The most important thing is seeing all the decorations and Christmas lights etc as well as all the rest of the good stuff at WDW. The weather may be too cold to go swimming anway and that is not the most important thing, in my mind, anyway. If he is not able, by doctor's orders, to go swimming while there I would be sure to explain that to him BEFORE you go not after you get there. I envy you being there at the Holiday time. I have been there at that time and I know you will love it.:D

Definitely still go! Other than swimming, which you may still be able to do if you get the waterproof cast, or you can get an inflatable cast cover - they work pretty well - he should be able to do just about everything - after the first few days, my daughter was very comfortable in her cast, other than a little itching. The first few days after he gets the cast off will be worse - my daughter insisted her arm hurt, even though it was all healed up. I think she had gotten used to the weight of the cast - because she had no complaints while it was on. My daughter broke her arm just above the elbow, so her cast was a full arm cast - she did wear a sling most of the time for support - If your son has only a half cast, he'll have even more mobility.

PS - just noticed your countdown - you'll be there at the same time we are - where are you staying? We'll be at the Contemporary till Monday morning - then at the AKL! I'll have green ribbon on my waistpack!

When CRCrasy mentioned about the itching I remembered something I had heard about that. You would have to have it in your checked luggage but I heard a knitting needle can be put down the cast where the itching is. I am sure that most doctors would not agree but it would help.

:sunny:

CRCrazy,
We'll also be at the AKL from 12/14-12/17 (Sunday-Tuesday) and then we'll be off to the Beach Club Villas. We'll be easy to spot -- we'll be chasing the 2 year old with the cast. Hey, maybe when we go to the orthopedic doctor today I can see if they offer the casts in lime green:cool: !! How old are your kids? We also have a DS8.

My daughter broke her arm this summer...Do you know what kind of break it is? Hers was very small and she was able to get it off in only two weeks! I agree with the above poster, my daughter was fine with the cast, never cried a bit, but when it came off... LOOK OUT!! She cried, screamed, whimpered, refused to make it flat for the x-rays - it was a nightmare! Then in a day or two, she was fine. DO NOT stick anything down in the cast for iching. If by any chance a tiny part of the skin breaks open, he will get a raging infection. It is just not worth it. By the way, you can get a kind of green that looks lime colored and also a yellow one that glows in dark! (I vetoed this one, lol) My dd went with the purple :D Good luck!

You would have to have it in your checked luggage but I heard a knitting needle can be put down the cast where the itching is. I am sure that most doctors would not agree but it would help.

I am an Infection Control Nurse and was going to post what TigerLilly's mom posted.

NEVER, never, ever put anything into a cast to scratch. It may feel good at first, but a tiny scratch (or even just irritated skin from scratching) can turn into a dangerous infection. Because you can't see underneath the cast, you could have a very bad infection before anything seems wrong. And, scratching an itch actually makes it itch more (I know that sounds strange, but it's true).
If you absolutely have to do something for itching, a hair dryer set on cool (make sure it is cool) can be blown down into the cast. Don't use warm, you can get a nasty burn without realizing it.

As far as WDW is concerned, there are no restrictions on rides (although you might want to ask your doctor if there are any types you should avoid).

Definately go. It will help make at least one of those LOOONNNNNG 6 weeks of healing bearable and even enjoyable. Your DS will probably get special treatment form CMs and characters!

Hi there - We will be at AKL from Monday morning Dec 16 till Thursday the 19th - we will be at CR until Monday, to go to MVMCP. Maybe we will see you Monday or Tuesday - I'll be on the lookout for a cutie with a cast. I have three daughters - 13,12 and 6. I'm sure my 6 year old will be tearing around the pool - probably terrorizing your two year old! (Only kidding - but she would if I didn't put the brakes on!)

My daughter's cast was bright green (We didn't have a choice - that was the only color the doctor had - we live in a very rural area!) but it wasn't quite lime green - the glow in the dark one sounds cool! Especially if he is scared in the dark rides!

If you have a choice about when his cast comes off - I would make it for after you come home - those first two days after it comes off are a little hairy!

Hello,

Sounds like I am not alone in having an overactive little one.
My daughter has broken her arm and had 6 stitches all within a month of her 2nd birthday. My daughter fractured the bone in her elbow. She had her cast on for 3 weeks. The doctor put a paper mache cast on her arm that dissolves in water. (This is so it would not be necessary to use the saw to remove her cast. They just dunked it in water and it completely dissolved. A lot safer this way with a 2 year old.)

We did not take her to WDW during this time but we did take her to DL. This was in the fall. At the time it was warm enough to swim but of course we did not. We had to sponge bath our daughter and wrap her arm in a towel. When they took off her cast, it smelled so bad!!! She also said it hurt a lot after the cast was removed. This is totally normal. The muscles have been in the cast so long not moving that it feels strange to move them after such a long while. Also new bone has grown , it is to be expected. This only lasted a couple days however.

I don't know how bad your ds fracture was but my daughter's was fairly serious. They almost rushed her to Stanford University hospital to open her elbow up and insert a pin because she broke her elbow in the place that allows it to bend. Obviously a very tricky break ,if it didn't set correctly then she would not be able to bend it well. Anyway she ended up going under at our own hospital because they would not take us at Stanford, they were not prepared they did not have a pediatric orthopedic surgeon on call. They ended up doing outside manipulation. She is fine now. I think that your son's cast will not be on longer then 3 weeks, but you never know. All depends on how serious the break is and if it has completely healed. They should be able to tell you when you go in for another xray.

I don't think you should let this change your travel plans. Kids adapt quickly. If your son is anything like my daughter (which it sounds like he is) he'll be back to his old tricks. The cast did not slow down my daughter in the least. She had a great time at DL. I say you go for it.

Have Fun

MandaMom

I say definitely go!!!! You could even bring a marker and have the characters sign his cast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter