Driving Hwy 101 from Bay Area - Suggestions for meal stops?

2_Eagle_Mom

Kungaloosh!!
We are planning on driving from the Bay Area down to DL next month. My husband just had his 5th eye surgery and cannot go over a 2,000 elevation so driving down our normal route (Hwy 5) is out of the question. I've looked at various maps and it looks like we can take Hwy 101 till it merges with Hwy 1. We figure we will just take our time and enjoy the new scenery. Now that we can't stop at any of our normal break points, anyone have any suggestions for good places to stop for meals? We normally leave around 4:30/5:00 am to avoid the East Bay traffic.

Thanks for the help!

Pea Soup Andersen's in Buellton. I don't even like pea soup but thought this was great. And of course they have other things.

Due east of Andersen's on the same highway is Solvang, a touristy Danish community. Lotsa pastry shops there - our favorite is Birkholm's, on Alisal Road.

I do not have a good suggestion but we drive from the bay area too and leave around the same time. How many breaks do you usually take? Our kids fall back asleep with in one hour almost always. we just bring coffee for us and they either grab a hot coco in a mug or chocolate milk and a pastry and they either drink on the way or after the wake up. We do not really stop for meals just bathroom breaks. We make a stop at a gas station before the grapevine usually in Bakersfield and they will grab a snack. and we just eat when we arrive which is usually before 1 pm.

No one ever wants to stop knowing we could have been there an hour earlier.

Yup...we will sometimes drive 101 JUST so we can stop at Splash Cafe in Pismo Beach. Hole in the wall line out the door award winning clam chowder in a buttered lid bread bowl kinda place. You can add a seafood toper for $1 which is crab and bay shrimp! It is freakin amazing and a quick counter service kinda eatery.

You can also get it to go and go walk a block down to the beach and there are tables to eat at then hop right back on the road. Perfect option for an "enjoying the scenery" trip.

Lots of other great food options there is if clam chowder is not your thing.

As someone who drives 101 from Northern CA to Southern CA regularly, there are a few easy stops along the way. If you need a bathroom break, King City is the easiest stop. That's probably about 2+ hours into your drive. You can take the Broadway exit and stop at either McDonalds or Starbucks, getting back on the freeway is easy as the onramp is next to the off ramp. If you can continue and don't need a break or snack, there is a rest stop between King City and Paso Robles (probably another 45 minutes). It has an easy entrance/exit and the bathrooms are always clean.

A fun place to stop for food is Madonna Inn, located in SLO. This has a decent exit/entrance to the freeway. The Cooper Cafe is decent food but the surroundings are pretty and fun to look at. Depending on how fast you drive, that's probably about 3+ hours of driving.

As someone mentioned above, Split Pea Anderson is a good stop. It's really good if you need a bathroom break and want some free crackers & cheese. If you park in the back, you can go in through the side entrance, run to the bathroom, grab your free crackers/cheese and then head back to your car. Easy access to freeway. Can you tell I've done this before.

Ventura would be another good spot, that's probably 5+ hours of driving. If you like burritos, stop at Corrales Mexican Food and get a 3-way. Unfortunately, this is not a quick on and off from the freeway but worth the short trip. The restaurant is located on Thompson Blvd., you need to take the Seacliff exit (there are a two Corrales restaurants in VTA, this one is better).

The only other stop I can suggest as you get further down into LA is Olvera Street. Kinda kitchsy but it's fun to stop and maybe grab some delicious taquitos. It's located off of 101 and has a decent off/on ramp to freeway.

Unfortunately, I don't stop much after LA. I don't know the areas that well and I always worry that I'm gonna stop somewhere crazy and unfamiliar.

If anyone in your party is into cake, stop at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. Best cake EVER! But the food in the cafe is mediocre at best.

If you like clam chowder, Splash Cafe is quite good. Worth the hype? Depends on who you ask, but everyone should have it at least once.

Olvera Street is wonderful, highly recommend it if you're a taco fan.

Pea Soup Andersen's in Buellton. I don't even like pea soup but thought this was great. And of course they have other things.

Due east of Andersen's on the same highway is Solvang, a touristy Danish community. Lotsa pastry shops there - our favorite is Birkholm's, on Alisal Road.
I didn't realize Andersen's was close to 101. We've always seen the signs on Hwy 5 but never stopped. We might have to this time! We've been to Solvang once before, good to know a favorite stop.

I do not have a good suggestion but we drive from the bay area too and leave around the same time. How many breaks do you usually take? Our kids fall back asleep with in one hour almost always. we just bring coffee for us and they either grab a hot coco in a mug or chocolate milk and a pastry and they either drink on the way or after the wake up. We do not really stop for meals just bathroom breaks. We make a stop at a gas station before the grapevine usually in Bakersfield and they will grab a snack. and we just eat when we arrive which is usually before 1 pm.

No one ever wants to stop knowing we could have been there an hour earlier.
Normally we stop once for a bathroom break and once for lunch. Normally I'm the passenger (and doze off a couple of times), this time I'll be driving so we may need to make more stops for caffeine and therefore more bathroom stops.

Yup...we will sometimes drive 101 JUST so we can stop at Splash Cafe in Pismo Beach. Hole in the wall line out the door award winning clam chowder in a buttered lid bread bowl kinda place. You can add a seafood toper for $1 which is crab and bay shrimp! It is freakin amazing and a quick counter service kinda eatery.

You can also get it to go and go walk a block down to the beach and there are tables to eat at then hop right back on the road. Perfect option for an "enjoying the scenery" trip.

Lots of other great food options there is if clam chowder is not your thing.
My DH is a huge seafood fan. I'll add Splash Cafe to the list of stops. Love to know there is a good non-fast food option.

As someone who drives 101 from Northern CA to Southern CA regularly, there are a few easy stops along the way. If you need a bathroom break, King City is the easiest stop. That's probably about 2+ hours into your drive. You can take the Broadway exit and stop at either McDonalds or Starbucks, getting back on the freeway is easy as the onramp is next to the off ramp. If you can continue and don't need a break or snack, there is a rest stop between King City and Paso Robles (probably another 45 minutes). It has an easy entrance/exit and the bathrooms are always clean.

A fun place to stop for food is Madonna Inn, located in SLO. This has a decent exit/entrance to the freeway. The Cooper Cafe is decent food but the surroundings are pretty and fun to look at. Depending on how fast you drive, that's probably about 3+ hours of driving.

As someone mentioned above, Split Pea Anderson is a good stop. It's really good if you need a bathroom break and want some free crackers & cheese. If you park in the back, you can go in through the side entrance, run to the bathroom, grab your free crackers/cheese and then head back to your car. Easy access to freeway. Can you tell I've done this before.

Ventura would be another good spot, that's probably 5+ hours of driving. If you like burritos, stop at Corrales Mexican Food and get a 3-way. Unfortunately, this is not a quick on and off from the freeway but worth the short trip. The restaurant is located on Thompson Blvd., you need to take the Seacliff exit (there are a two Corrales restaurants in VTA, this one is better).

The only other stop I can suggest as you get further down into LA is Olvera Street. Kinda kitchsy but it's fun to stop and maybe grab some delicious taquitos. It's located off of 101 and has a decent off/on ramp to freeway.

Unfortunately, I don't stop much after LA. I don't know the areas that well and I always worry that I'm gonna stop somewhere crazy and unfamiliar.
Thanks for all the great suggestions and detailed information! Can you get food to go from Andersen's? I'm not a pea soup fan, but DH is. Looks like it will be a souptastic road trip for him. We've never been to Olvera Street, we might save that for the drive home. Sort of ease our way home, once we know we are under 100 miles, we don't want to stop till we are in the Disney bubble.

If anyone in your party is into cake, stop at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. Best cake EVER! But the food in the cafe is mediocre at best.

If you like clam chowder, Splash Cafe is quite good. Worth the hype? Depends on who you ask, but everyone should have it at least once.

Olvera Street is wonderful, highly recommend it if you're a taco fan.
This stop has my name all over it! What is your favorite cake from the Inn?

I didn't realize Andersen's was close to 101. We've always seen the signs on Hwy 5 but never stopped. We might have to this time! We've been to Solvang once before, good to know a favorite stop.

Normally we stop once for a bathroom break and once for lunch. Normally I'm the passenger (and doze off a couple of times), this time I'll be driving so we may need to make more stops for caffeine and therefore more bathroom stops.

My DH is a huge seafood fan. I'll add Splash Cafe to the list of stops. Love to know there is a good non-fast food option.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and detailed information! Can you get food to go from Andersen's? I'm not a pea soup fan, but DH is. Looks like it will be a souptastic road trip for him. We've never been to Olvera Street, we might save that for the drive home. Sort of ease our way home, once we know we are under 100 miles, we don't want to stop till we are in the Disney bubble.

This stop has my name all over it! What is your favorite cake from the Inn?
I love the champagne cake!!

The one off 5 is in Santa Nella. The one suggested is in Buellton. Two different locations :)

Have you eaten at Yolanda's? If so, how would you rate Corrales versus Yolanda's?

I went to CalPoly in SLO so I try to go 101 when time allows. My personal favorite has always been Big Sky Cafe. I love the beignets there and they have a very eclectic menu. You could also take the opportunity to unwind and take a walk downtown.

While you should be fine going next month, keep an eye on road closures along 101 due to the wildfires. When people were evacuating from Santa Barbara, they closed the road to all other traffic so the evacuees could get out quickly. It looks like 101 is open now, but some of the back roads are still closed. Hopefully it will be fine next month, but just something to be aware of. There are several websites you can check for current information.

Have you eaten at Yolanda's? If so, how would you rate Corrales versus Yolanda's?
Yes, I have eaten at Yolanda's...the food is decent, not the best, but it's decent. If you're looking for a really good Mexican restaurant in the Ventura County area, try Cabo Seafood and Grill in Oxnard, super yummy and some of the best guacamole.

Corrales is more of a walk up joint, you take it to go and then drive to the beach, enjoying your delicious burrito by the ocean. Oh, and try corn burritos, this is a true Ventura County staple. You can't get them anywhere else and they're yummy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter