Driving experience between Toronto and Orlando

MoreTravels

Mouseketeer
We have decided to make a last minute trip to Disney and did not want to spend $3000 to buy the air travel tickets. It was not easy.... let me share some experience for the first time drivers.

1. Timing: If you are going to visit Orlando theme parks, you most likely have small children. You should be prepared to start with a delay. We were aiming to wake everyone up at 6am and to leave at 7am. It turned out no kid can wake up on time. Then someone needed to do number 2 just before leaving. Someone forgot to pack this and bring that. By the time we were ready, it was 10 am departure from Toronto.

2. Breaks: You will need three types of break stops: food, gas (or electrical charging), and washroom. Except a few states (WV and PA I believe), they do not have En Route all-in-one style of rest stop. The government rest stops only have washroom and vending machines. They are creeping and perhaps dangerous to use after dark, as your family may be the only people in an unattended area. The gas stations usually have dirty washroom, ok for boys to stand to use but not really for girls to sit down. Then you have to go into an adjacent town for food. So the most likely scenario becomes.... washroom every 3 hours, gas every 4 hours, and food every 6 hours. You have to coordinate your stop. With small children, if you have 4 stops per day, you should be prepared to add 2 hours (ie, 30 minutes per stop) to that daily drive.

3. GPS: This is what really got me. Most people use Car Play or Android Auto to run Waze or Google Map. The problem with these programs is that they are "dynamic" and change your route to optimize drive time without your knowledge. We were led to a small town in Pennsylvania, with no street light, along houses that looked rundown and dangerous neighborhood. I was praying not to have car troubles because it was literary like a horror movie where if your car breaks down, then zombies come out looking for you. Maybe I am too chicken but I just cannot understand why those GPS would send me away from major Interstate highway to small 3 digits country roads, just to save 15 minutes? My suggestion is to have a paper map and ignore re-routing suggestion to stay on major Interstate highways.

4. Road Choice: When I left, I picked Windsor, I-75 through Kentucky all the way to Florida. When I came back, I followed GPS (see my last point). Despite my preference for easy drive, it sent me to I-4, Daytona, Jacksonville, then the WV moutain roads. I will tell you my experience.

I-75 takes longer but is more stress-free to drive. If you have a less experienced driver in the family (spouse or teenage kids) that wants to share the driving, please take I-75. Your instruction will be, from Michigan just take I-75, as long as you are on I-75, then you are on the right road. There is NO toll at all (except the Windsor border bridge) until Florida. Then you can go to sleep.

With I-77, I-79, you have to change roads multiple times. If you miss an exit ramp or leave too early, many highways do not allow you to make a u-turn for the opposite entry. For example, I was at I-79 looking for food. I saw a McDonald sign and exited the wrong one. It turned out that exit connected to I-76. For 30 minutes, I could not find another exit to turn back. I had to change my route completely using GPS to find my way. The example would be if you want to go from west end of GTA to the east end... you can either take 401 toll free, no need to change, or you can take 403, QEW, 427, 407, 412, then 401.... and if you are not from Toronto, you would not know what those 400's highways are. With a small screen dynamic GPS on Carplay, you may end up in a undeveloped subdivision of Oshawa that has no streetlights or rest stop. In Canada, I don't think it is a big deal. However, I do not want to be lost in a middle of pitch dark place at night in an unknown small town in USA.

Also, highway I-77 was horrible, almost like highway 400 (people from Barrie would know) in GTA, there are frequent car accidents and road closure. I was stuck 3 minutes (about 50 cars) behind a major crash. There was a police chase ended up with truck trailer rolled over at Statesville in NC on I-77. The police actually placed spikes on the road to puncture the targeted car tire! The highway was closed for 2 hours. I am so lucky because I just took a restroom break before that. If I did not, I might be part of that crash. I was hoping to save 2 hours driving I-77 and I-79 vs I-75, well it turned out it took much longer due to the road closure. We turned off the car and waited on highway for 2 hours under the stars. We were almost prepared to sleep overnight on the highway. When they reopened the highway, there were metal debris everywhere on the road at the crash site. I was so worried to have tire puncuture from it. Luckily, it did not happen. Here is the news.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article265322521.html

My conclusion... next time, I will just take I-75... less expensive, easier to drive, less chance of taking the wrong turn, and maybe less chance of getting stuck on road blockage.

We have decided to make a last minute trip to Disney and did not want to spend $3000 to buy the air travel tickets. It was not easy.... let me share some experience for the first time drivers.

1. Timing: If you are going to visit Orlando theme parks, you most likely have small children. You should be prepared to start with a delay. We were aiming to wake everyone up at 6am and to leave at 7am. It turned out no kid can wake up on time. Then someone needed to do number 2 just before leaving. Someone forgot to pack this and bring that. By the time we were ready, it was 10 am departure from Toronto.

2. Breaks: You will need three types of break stops: food, gas (or electrical charging), and washroom. Except a few states (WV and PA I believe), they do not have En Route all-in-one style of rest stop. The government rest stops only have washroom and vending machines. They are creeping and perhaps dangerous to use after dark, as your family may be the only people in an unattended area. The gas stations usually have dirty washroom, ok for boys to stand to use but not really for girls to sit down. Then you have to go into an adjacent town for food. So the most likely scenario becomes.... washroom every 3 hours, gas every 4 hours, and food every 6 hours. You have to coordinate your stop. With small children, if you have 4 stops per day, you should be prepared to add 2 hours (ie, 30 minutes per stop) to that daily drive.

3. GPS: This is what really got me. Most people use Car Play or Android Auto to run Waze or Google Map. The problem with these programs is that they are "dynamic" and change your route to optimize drive time without your knowledge. We were led to a small town in Pennsylvania, with no street light, along houses that looked rundown and dangerous neighborhood. I was praying not to have car troubles because it was literary like a horror movie where if your car breaks down, then zombies come out looking for you. Maybe I am too chicken but I just cannot understand why those GPS would send me away from major Interstate highway to small 3 digits country roads, just to save 15 minutes? My suggestion is to have a paper map and ignore re-routing suggestion to stay on major Interstate highways.

4. Road Choice: When I left, I picked Windsor, I-75 through Kentucky all the way to Florida. When I came back, I followed GPS (see my last point). Despite my preference for easy drive, it sent me to I-4, Daytona, Jacksonville, then the WV moutain roads. I will tell you my experience.

I-75 takes longer but is more stress-free to drive. If you have a less experienced driver in the family (spouse or teenage kids) that wants to share the driving, please take I-75. Your instruction will be, from Michigan just take I-75, as long as you are on I-75, then you are on the right road. There is NO toll at all (except the Windsor border bridge) until Florida. Then you can go to sleep.

With I-77, I-79, you have to change roads multiple times. If you miss an exit ramp or leave too early, many highways do not allow you to make a u-turn for the opposite entry. For example, I was at I-79 looking for food. I saw a McDonald sign and exited the wrong one. It turned out that exit connected to I-76. For 30 minutes, I could not find another exit to turn back. I had to change my route completely using GPS to find my way. The example would be if you want to go from west end of GTA to the east end... you can either take 401 toll free, no need to change, or you can take 403, QEW, 427, 407, 412, then 401.... and if you are not from Toronto, you would not know what those 400's highways are. With a small screen dynamic GPS on Carplay, you may end up in a undeveloped subdivision of Oshawa that has no streetlights or rest stop. In Canada, I don't think it is a big deal. However, I do not want to be lost in a middle of pitch dark place at night in an unknown small town in USA.

Also, highway I-77 was horrible, almost like highway 400 (people from Barrie would know) in GTA, there are frequent car accidents and road closure. I was stuck 3 minutes (about 50 cars) behind a major crash. There was a police chase ended up with truck trailer rolled over at Statesville in NC on I-77. The police actually placed spikes on the road to puncture the targeted car tire! The highway was closed for 2 hours. I am so lucky because I just took a restroom break before that. If I did not, I might be part of that crash. I was hoping to save 2 hours driving I-77 and I-79 vs I-75, well it turned out it took much longer due to the road closure. We turned off the car and waited on highway for 2 hours under the stars. We were almost prepared to sleep overnight on the highway. When they reopened the highway, there were metal debris everywhere on the road at the crash site. I was so worried to have tire puncuture from it. Luckily, it did not happen. Here is the news.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article265322521.html

My conclusion... next time, I will just take I-75... less expensive, easier to drive, less chance of taking the wrong turn, and maybe less chance of getting stuck on road blockage.
Sorry you had so much trouble. I guess I was always lucky with the 77-79 route. it's been many years since I drove though and my GPS was my trip tik from CAA. Not so fun if your navigator loses focus and changed the page! As for little kids not waking up on time, mine were in the care in their pjs with a pillow on either side. I know, I seem like a mean mommy, but in my defence I WAS taking them to the happiest place on earth. My plan was to leave at 5:30 but usually on the road by 6:30. I liked the rest stops on this route and we always stopped for dinner and the night when it got dark so I can't relate any experience with rest stops after dark. I hope your new plan for future trips works out well for you.

When our kids were little, we always were up at 3/3:30-I think the kids might have slept in shorts and t-shirts-, left the house by 4 (one time I forgot to close the garage door because we'd backed the fully loaded car into the garage LOL). That put us at the Detroit border by 6, basically before the morning traffic. The kids slept until breakfast in Ohio between 8 and 9.
We always found a stop at McD's was a good rest stop. Clean bathrooms, a meal or a snack, and off we went.

The gas stations usually have dirty washroom, ok for boys to stand to use but not really for girls to sit down. Then you have to go into an adjacent town for food.

We just came back from a Toronto-Orlando drive (2 days down, 6 days back thanks to Covid) and one thing that changed for this trip from all the others were the Buc-ees stations once you hit Kentucky/Tennessee.

They were bright, clean, large (the size of a small Walmart), had more than decent food and the gas was generally cheaper than the surrounding options. I'll tell you, we will plan our trips to pass through Buc-ees from now on.

as long as you are on I-75, then you are on the right road. There is NO toll at all (except the Windsor border bridge) until Florida.

One more note, I would recommend that anyone looking to take I-75 from Toronto to take the 402 to Sarnia and cross at the Blue Water bridge. Take the I-94 South from there to where it meets I-75 in Detroit. In my experience, you'll save yourself a lot of time and aggravation by avoiding the Windsor/Detroit crossing while not adding any appreciable length to your drive.

Last edited:

Love hearing people’s experiences.

We have done 77/79 numerous times. We tried 75 once and never again. The drive is so boring. I like changing interstates every few hours. It helps to break up the drive and I like the scenery changes.

Our family is never late for anything so being in the car at 4am was never a problem even when the kids were little.

Our GPS has also sent us off highway to small towns also. Call me crazy but I love the adventure.

Love I75. I'm in windsor. Make the drive home in 18hrs straight, just me driving, 7 march breaks in a row (minus 2021). Going to kissimmee we usually stop around the border of Georgia / Florida just because I pencil in a 2 day drive for wherever we are renting: don't want the pressure of "having" to make it in one day; could be traffic, or tired, etc...

Really like the drive. The only concern area really is Atlanta but I usually go through there late and the HOV lanes are great (but a little confusing in a couple spots)

Yes several times. Including when the border was closed. I’m just west of Toronto. Cross at Buffalo usually, into Erie and down 79. So many Canadians from the area like to cross at Windsor. Really it makes no sense.

Yikes! Thanks for sharing your experience. I haven’t driven that particular route in a few years but I vividly remember the creepy towns GPS sent me to.

May I suggest looking at flying out of Buffalo or Detroit in the future if the purpose of your drive was to avoid the $3k or Pearson, or both? We did a last minute trip for Labour Day weekend and was able to book non-stop round trip flights for the 3 of us BUF to MCO for $581 USD total. (We booked everything the weekend of Aug 27, for flights Sep 1 to 5.) I know it’s not always an option, but usually we can find a decent deal with a discount carrier. The 2-3 hours it takes us to drive from Toronto to Buffalo is worth it.

Yikes! Thanks for sharing your experience. I haven’t driven that particular route in a few years but I vividly remember the creepy towns GPS sent me to.

May I suggest looking at flying out of Buffalo or Detroit in the future if the purpose of your drive was to avoid the $3k or Pearson, or both? We did a last minute trip for Labour Day weekend and was able to book non-stop round trip flights for the 3 of us BUF to MCO for $581 USD total. (We booked everything the weekend of Aug 27, for flights Sep 1 to 5.) I know it’s not always an option, but usually we can find a decent deal with a discount carrier. The 2-3 hours it takes us to drive from Toronto to Buffalo is worth it.
You can fly out of Niagara Falls NY as well. Have done that many many times.

Very true. I haven’t personally tried Niagara Falls yet but may if Allegiant (I think that’s the airline?) offers a great deal that coincides with our trip dates.
Yes. Limited days. 2 or 3 times a week. Maybe more in the winter. I’ve done it for as little as $110 round trip up to the lower $300 per trip. You can purchase the tickets in person at the airport at a discount but I never felt it was worth it. Off the plane and in your car in 5 mins. Of course you have the border to deal with. We must have made this flight 75 times. Maybe more. Its surprising too how often you see the same people over and over.

We are just North of TO and have driven both ways and flown from Buffalo and Pearson. It comes down to time of year, how much time off and how much we want to spend. For our March breaks, the wife will NEVER fly out of Buffalo again. We were scheduled to fly,,drove down overnight in local hotel, woke up and due to snow, all flights cancelled for the next 3 days,,,a normal 2 hour drive back to TO was 7 hours. Also if we drive anytime before May we take I75,,,,if its summer then we flip a coin for our route.
I love flying Buffalo, but bigger chance of flight delays in winter then at Pearson.

Yes several times. Including when the border was closed. I’m just west of Toronto. Cross at Buffalo usually, into Erie and down 79. So many Canadians from the area like to cross at Windsor. Really it makes no sense.
I'm in Windsor, but my parents are snowbirds who live in Hamilton. When driving their 5th wheel down for the winter they go the Windsor way: I believe it's only a 1 hour difference and the drive is easier when towing than going through buffalo and there are more reststops.

Makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter