Drink package and photo package questions

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
First, the drink packages. We aren't alcohol drinkers, so that's not an issue. It's all the others.

When you are in the main dining room or any specialty dining, do you get a complimentary drink or do you use your drink package? This will decide if we even need the package.

I'm looking at the Refreshment package, which says:

1699995286417.png
It also says it doesn't include anything from Starbucks.

Does anyone know how much these things are if you just buy them a la carte? I'm wondering if I'd use the amount it will cost per day if I bought the package. I already bought the Evian water package, but I suppose I could cancel it if this package includes bottles of water. (how is the ship's water on tap, by the way?)

I know this is meant for one person for the whole cruise, but do people get the package and share at all? Is that even possible?

I'm also looking at the Coffee card. I usually only drink one coffee a day and not usually espresso, so I'm not sure this is for me, either, but it's a lot cheaper than the refreshment package.

1699995761646.png
Is this really just a paper-based card? And can you get ordinary coffees or only the specialty ones? Well, is ordinary coffee maybe free, at least in the dining rooms? Is this card something you can share?

The soda package is just a cup with all the Freestyle drinks you can drink, right? Is it self serve? There isn't any water bottles or coffee in this package, as far as I can see. If you have this, do you use it at dinners or just around the ship?

Okay, my other question is about the photo packages. It looks like you buy a package by stateroom, which is the same as DCL, but there isn't an unlimited option. I suppose, without all the character M&Gs, you don't have as many photos.

We are 5 people across 3 rooms. Is there any option to get a discount by tying the rooms together somehow? We're all adults, so no "put the kids in with Grandma" to get the picture added to any of the rooms.

What do people do? I assume just giving a single room number won't work, as they'll use your photo from your SeaPass to confirm which room the photos belong to.

Maybe I should ask, are there very many photo options? Boarding, I assume. Formal night? What else?

Thanks for any help/advice you all can give me. Sorry it's so long.

1) I think you have to have a drink package to get soda in the dining room. It reads that way on their website. You need to use your package, they collect the cards to "charge" them. Also I suggest if you have package get servers to give you water bottles to take back to cabin.

You are not supposed to share drink packages which is why it is difficult to get Deluxe package for just some adults in cabin. We have had issues with that every cruise as DS is an adult but does not drink.

2) We got coffee via our package.

DH and I have always had Deluxe Beverage Package but DS got Refreshment Package. He VERY MUCH got his monies worth with the juices, soda, BOTTLES of water (we kept cabin fridge stocked) and they made very nice mocktails and smoothies. Upcoming trip I've decided to get the Refreshment too, I think the value is totally there and DH will just order by the drink.

3) Yes it is a freestyle machine with cup but we drank very little soda with DS have options of some nicer drinks. I don't know if that is what you provide at dinner, we had the drink package. It included the cup but we never took to dining room.

4) We didn't do photo packages. Last couple cruises we didn't high "formal" or do the photo stations.

Okay, my other question is about the photo packages. It looks like you buy a package by stateroom, which is the same as DCL, but there isn't an unlimited option. I suppose, without all the character M&Gs, you don't have as many photos.

We are 5 people across 3 rooms. Is there any option to get a discount by tying the rooms together somehow? We're all adults, so no "put the kids in with Grandma" to get the picture added to any of the rooms.

What do people do? I assume just giving a single room number won't work, as they'll use your photo from your SeaPass to confirm which room the photos belong to.

Maybe I should ask, are there very many photo options? Boarding, I assume. Formal night? What else?

Pre-pandemic Royal and DCL used the same photo company so it should be roughly the same.

Formal night they'll have stations set up around the promenade/esplanade/whatever they call it on Quantum class. They'll have people taking pictures outside the ship at ports and I believe photographers will roam around in Labadee.

btw found this in the FAQ:
1700059062847.png
I don't think there are multiple room discounts though. Still, this should work in terms of getting a package for your room and linking your kids (I think you said they were 19 and 21?) onboard. I noticed that they don't have an unlimited package but I can't imagine hitting 100 pics that you like. It still comes down to "someone with a package needs to be in the picture" though, but if you can link the kids then you've basically increased those odds.

btw I wish Princess had a 50 or 100 pic option. They only have 5 and 10, and at higher prices ($228 CAD vs $221 for Royal's "retail" price" that you will never actually pay). Let's hope that Black Friday will give me some actual discounts for them.

Yes, one room has me and my 19 year old, the other has DH and the 21 year old. The third room is my sister. I guess if I buy it and I'm always in the photos that would work. But you're saying the kids could be in photos without me? Maybe it could work for us.

You're right about probably not needing unlimited, though. I'll have to go through my old DCL ones and see roughly what I really need. I just hate having to pick photos and leave some behind. Then again, I assume they'd let you upgrade once you're on the ship.

Did you ever do the formal night photos? Just wondering what the lines are like and if there are several stations for photos like on DCL.

I think you have to have a drink package to get soda in the dining room. It reads that way on their website. You need to use your package, they collect the cards to "charge" them.
I know you didn't mean it like this, but you CAN get soda anywhere without a drink package, you'll just pay ala carte. That's the same with any drink. These are the included drinks:
  • tap water
  • milk
  • tea
  • coffee (regular and decaf)
  • lemonade
  • iced tea
  • flavored waters
  • juices (at breakfast and not fresh squeezed)
  • Hot chocolate (via instant packets)
Anything else you want, you need to pay for. You can choose to pay for a package (water, soda, non-alcoholic, or alcoholic) or pay for each drink individually. The non-alcohol (Refreshment) and alcohol (Deluxe) packages include bottled water. I don't know if the soda one does.

Technically you are not supposed to share drink packages (coffee card is different). That doesn't mean people don't. I've heard if Royal catches you sharing, they'll revoke your package and make you pay individually for every drink (retroactively).

Cocktails are around $14, mocktails are $9, beer is $7, soda is $4. I think these are the right prices, I could be off, it's just what I've gleaned from CruiseCritic.

Speaking of CruiseCritic, I *HIGHLY* suggest checking it out. It's like the Disboards for Cruising. There's information about every ship, every port of call, embarkation/debarkation ports, etc.

Thanks. I have been to CruiseCritic. I'm probably more comfortable on this board, being a repeat Disney visitor. But I will dig further there.

Yes, one room has me and my 19 year old, the other has DH and the 21 year old. The third room is my sister. I guess if I buy it and I'm always in the photos that would work. But you're saying the kids could be in photos without me? Maybe it could work for us.

You're right about probably not needing unlimited, though. I'll have to go through my old DCL ones and see roughly what I really need. I just hate having to pick photos and leave some behind. Then again, I assume they'd let you upgrade once you're on the ship.

Did you ever do the formal night photos? Just wondering what the lines are like and if there are several stations for photos like on DCL.
If they let you link the kids then yes, they could do it.

Formal night, the biggest lines are usually the staircase and the car (I assume they have one - every Royal Promenade seems to have a car). My strategy is to line up for those if it seems to be a short line, go in between courses, or while one half of the ship is at dinner. There should be at least 5 stations around the promenade/esplanade. They will ask for a SeaPass (Royal's KTTW), so make sure it is one that is linked to your photo package.

CC is good for information about various ports and 3rd party excursions. Lots of negativity though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter