Downtown Disney - how much time should I allow?

Ms. Shuttergirl

DIS Veteran
I'm wondering how much time I should allow for Downtown Disney. On our last evening at WDW, we are going to Raglan Road for dinner and will go earlier for a wander.

Would it be wise to allow another arvo/evening to explore properly?

That depends on your wandering style. Take a look at this link http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/downtown.htm
give yourself some time in each store that interest you. Now multiply that by 10 or 20. Keep an eye on the time because it will slip away from you. The Art of Disney can keeps me occupied for quite awhile. While I can't get my wife to leave Disney's Day of Christmas. You might want to to a recon before diner then go back to the shops for a closer look after. Have a Magical Time

What do you want to do down there, just stroll through the shops? Or do you want to go to DisneyQuest etc?

There's a lot of cool shops, some of them are quie big and the other posters are right - time will get away from you.

Last year we went to DTD at 11am and didn't come home till midnight!

By the way Raglan Road was great.

I'm wondering how much time I should allow for Downtown Disney. On our last evening at WDW, we are going to Raglan Road for dinner and will go earlier for a wander.

Would it be wise to allow another arvo/evening to explore properly?

It does depend also on wether you want to go to Disney Quest. We usually allow an afternoon for Disney Quest, there are some fun virtual reality rides there. I agree with others too, time really can get away from you. We can spend hours wandering the shops.

Ooooh yes the Christmas shop. I'll need plenty of time in there :rotfl2:, much to DH's distress.
It is such a gorgeous shop too. There was a kitchen shop too (I presume that's still there) and I spent a while in there too, and yes the art shop. Even if you don't buy much there is a lot to wander around and see. When we went last the Virgin Store was there too, that took forever to get out of it was ridiculous! :rotfl: Luckily that has gone now, we will get a lot more done at Disney now :rotfl:

What do you want to do down there, just stroll through the shops? Or do you want to go to DisneyQuest etc?

There's a lot of cool shops, some of them are quie big and the other posters are right - time will get away from you.

Last year we went to DTD at 11am and didn't come home till midnight!

By the way Raglan Road was great.

Oh I'm glad to hear about Raglan Road. We haven't eaten there before and we had a spare night that I forgot to make and ADR at and a couple of weeks ago I made an ADR and there wasn't much aside from Raglan Road. So I booked it hoping it would be ok. I'm so glad it's good :thumbsup2

Nope we don't want to do Disney Quest (arcade games right???).

Just shopping and wandering and taking it all in.

I can't wait for Raglan Road.

Ohhhhh no, Disney Quest isn't just arcade games!

My son described it "like being inside a video game". It's visually overwhelming but there are a lot of games and rides. It's a lot of fun.

Nope we don't want to do Disney Quest (arcade games right???).

Just shopping and wandering and taking it all in.

I can't wait for Raglan Road.

No it's not just arcade games. Here's a good review that sort of explains some of the rides. There are some arcade games but there are virtual reality games/rides and other things.
http://www.epinions.com/review/DisneyQuest_Indoor_Interactive_Theme_Park/content_516420308612
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/de...t/disney-quest-indoor-interactive-theme-park/

If you do end up having some time spare (and if you have it included in your park hoppers), it is a really fun place to visit and different to your regular theme park experience.

How much time should you allow for DTD????

Is this a trick question...if not, the answer is easy. As much time as your credit card will let you! :lmao: :lmao: (sorry, I couldn't resist).

We always have a lot of fun in DTD. We plan for at least one night from 5 of 6 pm through to after midnight; because this is usually all the time we can squeeze out of our schedule to do:
  • Dinner
  • Strolling and people watching
  • Shopping at every shop!!

Oh dear, looks like I'll have to find some extra time in the schedule for Disney Quest them :lmao:.

Off to read some more about it. Thanks for all of the info.

I do have to say though, about Disney Quest. It has lost a little appeal to me I am afraid. There used to be a Cheesecake Factory in there :love::cloud9: and that has now gone :sad1: so it just does not hold the same level of excitement for me. I enjoyed sitting there munching on a piece of Godiva Cheesecake inbetween games/rides :rotfl:

The age of your DS Ms Shuttergirl....he would go BONKERS about disneyquest.

The Mighty Ducks pinball.....yeah....me like that... :lmao:
And it is a COMPETITION!!! So you keep going back.

But some it is a bit dated...and beyond Pirates the other stuff is pretty pathetic.
The 'Jungle Cruise' and other things might be good the first time but I find the Jungle cruise painful now.

As for the shops...
hmmm....
I go to DTD multiple times a trips. we went at least 5 times! Sometimes less than an hour...sometimes MANY hours.
SHOPS!!!!!!

Oh...and if you want to buy something at the Lego store. Allow 1/2hr for the queue to the checkout!

Ms Shuttergirl - if your children like Lego - allow heaps of time, it took my DD about 45 minutes just to look at all the displays and the different packages, than another 20 minutes to fill her container with lego pieces (she does like Lego though).

The World of Disney is HUGE, there was also a under $10 shop and a pin trading shop, and an art shop (where you can print the t-shirts).

On our last trip we found ourselves at DTD quite a few times. Over 14 days I would say we were there at least 5 times for various lengths of time.

DW and DD's loved the shops especially World of Disney. We went to Disney Quest on Thanksgiving day so as to avoid the packed parks. It was great, no crowds, most of the activities were fun for both us the adults and the kids.

Agree with Queenie some of them are becoming a little dated but trying them for the first time still holds and air of excitement.

We had dinner at Raglan Road last time. Loved the prawn starter dish comes out with the prawns on forks enbedded in a board. DD loved the shepherd's pie.

DW advises that the prices for lego at the shop were very good compared to what we pay for it in Australia.

The age of your DS Ms Shuttergirl....he would go BONKERS about disneyquest.

The Mighty Ducks pinball.....yeah....me like that... :lmao:
And it is a COMPETITION!!! So you keep going back.

But some it is a bit dated...and beyond Pirates the other stuff is pretty pathetic.

As for the shops...
hmmm....
I go to DTD multiple times a trips. we went at least 5 times! Sometimes less than an hour...sometimes MANY hours.
SHOPS!!!!!!

This sounds like it could be good for our family. We are super competitive with each other and really enjoy trying to one up the others :rotfl:. Not sure what that says about us.

Ms Shuttergirl - if your children like Lego - allow heaps of time, it took my DD about 45 minutes just to look at all the displays and the different packages, than another 20 minutes to fill her container with lego pieces (she does like Lego though).

The World of Disney is HUGE, there was also a under $10 shop and a pin trading shop, and an art shop (where you can print the t-shirts).

Neither of the kids are much into Lego but we all enjoy looking at the amazing things they can make out of Lego. It really is astounding. And the World of Disney, well I love love love that store.

On our last trip we found ourselves at DTD quite a few times. Over 14 days I would say we were there at least 5 times for various lengths of time.

DW and DD's loved the shops especially World of Disney. We went to Disney Quest on Thanksgiving day so as to avoid the packed parks. It was great, no crowds, most of the activities were fun for both us the adults and the kids.

We had dinner at Raglan Road last time. Loved the prawn starter dish comes out with the prawns on forks enbedded in a board. DD loved the shepherd's pie.

Sounds like we've made a good choice in Raglan Road. I've heard about the little battered sausages that come out on forks but now we'll need to order those and the prawns :lmao:.

Thanks for all of the advise everyone. I'm definitely going to make some more room in the schedule for DD.

Tell me, what do you think it would be like at Downtown Disney on a Saturday night? We have a Sat night where nothing is planned yet but I'm a little nervous that the bars and restaurants may be a little busier with "merry people" than at other times. Although we are going to the food and wine festival so I'm sure we are going to see alot of that, and may on several occasions be the "merry ones" ourselves :lmao:.

One factor to keep in mind is the type of ticket you have. For example we use a 10 day ticket over 14 days so we do Downtown Disney on the 'gap' days in combination with water parks/Disney Quest, shopping at the Disney outlets off-site etc. However if you are doing the parks every day then it is probably best done at the end of the day as the hours are generally longer than most if not all of the parks.
I have not done DD on a Saturday night but most of the shopping area is quite separate from bars and restaurants and I cannot imagine Disney allowing any such disruptions.

Well we might actually go there on the Saturday night. I didn't realise the shops and bars were not in the same area. In fact, I think that will be fun.

Thanks everyone.

Well we might actually go there on the Saturday night. I didn't realise the shops and bars were not in the same area. In fact, I think that will be fun.

Thanks everyone.

You really need to look at a map and realise DTD is BIG!!!!:rolleyes:
Cirque Du Solei and DisneyQuest is the opposite end to the Christmas Shop ;)

There are 3 'zones' with 3 main carparks servicing it for this reason.

- There is the Marketplace at one end with the main shops (the main part I go to) at ONE end.
It runs from Once Upon a Toy/Christmas shop/pin traders through to World of Disney and Lego.
- In the middle is a wasteland formerly known as Pleasure Island
- Then there is the West side.
At the far end (furtherest from Marketplace) there is Cirque du solei and DisneyQuest and House of Blues. Then moves through to Planet Hollywood at the start of 'Pleasure Island'

It isn't a short stroll from one place to the other. You can't quickly get from DisneyQuest to the shops.
The most crowded is ALWAYS the Marketplace. Even mid morning there was still a queue sometimes for the small ladies room.
Saturday Night is PACKED :eek:

I'm not saying don't go then :rotfl2::rotfl2: It is inevitable that you will because it is when is convenient for many people (hence it being packed)

Other than going to DisneyQuest and dining at Planet Hollywood...I don't go to the Westside.

I reside solely at the Marketplace :love::love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter