"Don't Forget to Say Thank You for the Beach!" HHI October 2012--Final Updates 11/18!

Intro:

A little about our cast of characters:

This is me:

IMG_1364_zpse6bfa123.jpg

I’m Brooke, and I’m 36 years old. I am a high school guidance counselor, and I love my job! I LOVE LOVE LOVE all things Disney! I am one of those people who is usually in a constant trip-planning state. I am the planner of our family—I love ADRs, park hours, spreadsheets, and all of that good stuff!

This is my wonderful husband:

IMG_1255-1.jpg

He’s Brian, and he’s 39 years old (yep, my next pre-trip report will be for his BIG birthday!!). He works in banking, and I really don’t have the first clue what he does. At least I’m honest about that, I guess! He LOVES all things Disney, too! We will have been married for 13 years this December, and we are definitely a team—if we’re not at work, we’re usually always together. We’re a dorky little couple like that!

We are both born and raised East Tennesseeans with the accent to prove it! I am a small-town girl, and we met at The University of Tennessee (GO VOLS!!). I love East Tennessee, and I can’t imagine living anywhere else!

Last, but most important, is DS:

IMG_1069.jpg

This is Dalton—usually known as D. He is four, and he is the light of our lives! He is ALL about Disney, too! He took his first trip to WDW when he was 14 months, and he’s been in love with it since then!

These pictures of us are all from our June 2012 trip to WDW. At that time, D was all about the “cheesy” face. . .just in case you think I only take pics of him with his eyes closed! :rofl: He has since stopped making the cheesy face, which sort of made me sad, but at least he looks like he has actual eyes now!

My parents also were in Hilton Head at the same time we were, but they didn’t stay with us. More about that later!

We are all 3 big Stitch fans!! If you’ve read my other trip report (in my siggie), you know that Stitch is sort of our family mascot! The year that “Lilo & Stitch” came out, we had a miscarriage. The part where Stitch says, “This is my family. I found it all by myself. It’s little and it’s broken, but it’s still good” was sort of a little mantra for us at that time, since we were unsure that we would ever be able to have kids. Since then, we love all things Lilo & Stitch! :stitch2:

A few years after that, we went to WDW with some friends who were DVC members (we were not). We stayed at Beach Club in a 2BR villa and fell in love. After that trip, I convinced Brian that we should buy in to DVC. We bought points at SSR in June 2006, and a small add-on at AKV in February 2007.

Wouldn’t you know it? In November 2007, I found out I was pregnant, and D was born in August 2008! Funny how the pixie dust works like that!

Ok, I know that was a lot of wordiness, and I promise the other posts will have pictures! I hope I haven’t bored you to tears! Thank you again for joining us!

Love it!! Thanks for reading along, Nan! Another update coming! :thumbsup2

Here’s how this trip came about:

In September, we started talking about wanting to go somewhere for Fall Break. We don’t usually do that, but Brian had gotten a bonus at work, and we thought that would be fun to use for a getaway!

I started looking at WDW during the Free Dining time, but we couldn’t stay the right number of nights, and they didn’t really have a place we wanted to stay. We had already used our points in June 2012, so we weren’t looking for a DVC stay, and the cash price for a Deluxe room was over my planned budget for this trip.

One day, I was looking at Expedia and I decided to price the Hilton Head resort. Now, I have never had any desire to do a beach trip (I would MUCH rather go to WDW!), but it was within our budget. Add to that the fact that D had never seen the ocean or the beach, and I was pretty much sold!

Brian was excited too! He was ready to try a non-WDW trip, but he was like me—we wanted the Disney service and themeing! One Sunday, he called Member Services and asked what the cash price was for the Hilton Head resort. When she told him we would get a discount (I don’t know how I didn’t know that—Bad Dis’er!!) we were definitely set!

Now, I did have a day when I waffled and thought that D would like WDW better. I actually called, switched it to WDW, and then called 30 minutes later and changed it back. They thought I was crazy that day! (who knows. . .that might not be too far off!) After all of my changes, though, we ended up with a 2-Bedroom Villa at Hilton Head!

So finally, it was all set, and we were ready to countdown! Look out, Hilton Head, here come the Stitchs!!

IMG_1686.jpg

I'm here :banana:

love the non cheesey smile of D, but sad too he isn't doing it anymore .....

HHI is so beautiful, we lived there for 2 1/2 months (Jim did a reno job at Indigo Run CC) we lived right on the beach :goodvibes

can't wait to read the rest of your TR...hope D is feeling better this morning!

Hi Lisa!! Thanks for joining me over here! :thumbsup2. D is feeling some better this afternoon. . .thanks for asking!

Yes, the non-cheesy smile makes me a little sad, too! It's just another "growing up" thing, I guess! ;) he needs to slow down with all of that! :rotfl2:

Hi Lisa!! Thanks for joining me over here! :thumbsup2. D is feeling some better this afternoon. . .thanks for asking!

Yes, the non-cheesy smile makes me a little sad, too! It's just another "growing up" thing, I guess! ;) he needs to slow down with all of that! :rotfl2:

that's good to hear! if you figure out how to get the growing up thing to slow down please share it, so not ready for Megan to be a teenager and we are under the 6 month mark :sad: :scared1:

that's good to hear! if you figure out how to get the growing up thing to slow down please share it, so not ready for Megan to be a teenager and we are under the 6 month mark :sad: :scared1:

Lisa, I can't believe she'll be a teenager that soon!!! Definitely tell that girl to slow down! ;)

In order to get our week laid out the way we wanted/needed it to be, I took two days off before my Fall Break. I am lucky in that I have a wonderful boss. I do a lot of work at home, and he, in turn, is great about working with me if I need off.

On Thursday before Fall Break (we left on Friday), D and I just spent the day together getting ready for the trip. I was SO glad that I took that day off, too. I don’t know how I would’ve gotten everything ready if I hadn’t done that. I am used to my super-planned WDW trips, and I somehow was definitely a slacker on this one! We made last-minute trips to Target and to the mall to get those necessities I somehow hadn’t managed to get together.

When Brian came home about 5 pm, I had most everything together and waiting in the hall (we had packed clothing the weekend before). He loaded most of the stuff into the car, and we had a relaxing evening at home—who am I kidding?? He DID load the car, but I was on pins and needles waiting for it to be time to go to sleep so it could be time to leave!!

D & I both went to sleep about 9:30. My plan was to get up around 2:30 am, get ready, and then get Brian up about 3 am to load the final stuff into the car. We were hoping to let D sleep til about 3:45 am, get him up, and head out about 4 am! Brian does all of the driving, and it’s his preference to drive in the night for part of it—which allows D & I to sleep (and not constantly ask “Are we there yet?”, which might actually be more from me than D, but that’s a whole other story!!).

Did that happen?? Wellllllll. . .we’ll just wait and see! We were off to dream Disney Beach Dreams!

THE DAY WAS FINALLY HERE! Now, never mind that I only counted down for this trip for about 50 days (where a typical WDW trip for us would be about a 250-300 day countdown!), it felt like it was taking forever, and I was SO excited for it to be time to go!!

I got up at 2:30, got ready, and went to get Brian up as scheduled. He came down the hall, and then I heard another set of feet coming down the hall. Hmm. . .D isnt supposed to be up yet! He had other ideas, though! He came running into the living room at 3 am, shouting, MOMMMA!!!!! Were going to the BEACH!!
LOVE the excitement!

Here he is showing me that its finally the day:

IMG_1677.jpg

Brian loaded all of the last minute stuff in, which took until about 3:50. We loaded everyone up. . .check out D and his spot in the backseat:

IMG_1679.jpg

At 4 am, we pulled out of the driveway and we were headed to the beach!! :banana:

I had figured that D would fall back to sleep and sleep until breakfast time. Ummm. . .I shouldve realized with the 3 am wakeup time that maybe things werent going to go according to my plan!

He slept about 30 minutes around 6 am, but other than that, he was awake the whole time. He was a TERRIFIC traveler! He sang, watched his Disney DVDs, and talked about the beach the whole way there! I really could not have asked for a better traveling little guy, though! It made me feel good about driving in March 2013. . .I had been worried about that before!

About 8 am, we stopped at Chick-Fil-A in Macon, GA. I LOVE Chick-Fil-A! For me, its a sign that were on vacation! We have one in the town where we live, but I dont go there a lot. . .only because I would way 4,000,000 pounds if I ate there as much as I wanted to! So, on the way to our vacations, we always eat at Chick-Fil-A!

When we got there, D changed out of his jammies, so he felt like he was ready to be on vacation, too! ;)

IMG_1680.jpg

He was so hilarious at the table. He talked to EVERYONE coming in the restaurant. He kept saying, Hi! How are you? Then he would say, Guess what?? Im going to the beach!! It was too funny!

After breakfast, I had to check some work emails, and D had a mission in mind. He and Brian headed to the playground!!

2012-10-05_08-27-43_86.jpg

2012-10-05_08-25-16_724.jpg

Lots of times, I have to drag D out of the playgroundhe loves them! Not this time, though. He played for about 5 minutes, and then he came running out. He said, Lets go!! NEXT STOP. . .BEACH!!!

It didnt seem like it took very long (well, it didnt seem like it did), and we crossed into South Carolina.

IMG_1682.jpg

Thank you, South Carolina, for welcoming us!! :thumbsup2
Were almost to Hilton Head!!

Yup we are less than 6 months away from teenager land ....wish me luck! :rotfl:

I love how excited D was about going to the beach, happy he was a good traveler...always help having the movies and LOTS of snacks in my book! I love Chick-FilA, we eat it one time on our trip in August, sure wasn't enough..

Sending pixiedust:for teenagerland entrance!! :rotfl2:

D was a good traveler, and I was very relieved!! I am hoping that holds the course for next trip, too! :thumbsup2

New Update Below!

About 10:30, we rolled into the Disney resort!! This was my first time to Hilton Head, so I enjoyed watching everything on the way there!

IMG_1687.jpg

We parked and went up to the Live Oak Lodge to check in. Mollie was the CM working that day, and she was WONDERFUL! Our room was ready (gotta love that bit of pixie dust), and she directed us to Villa 1322! We wasted NO time getting ourselves over there to check it out!

Kitchen/Dining Area:
IMG_0859.jpg

Living Room Area with D Relaxing:
IMG_0860.jpg

The TV inside the island:
IMG_0862.jpg

Another living room pic—looking toward the front door:
IMG_0864.jpg

The 2nd bedroom:
IMG_0866.jpg

The 2nd bathroom—there was also a HUGE closet and a little area for hanging coats/bags/etc in this room:
IMG_0868.jpg

Mudroom:
IMG_0870.jpg

Shadow’s “Pawprint” in the floor:
IMG_0879.jpg

Master Bedroom:
IMG_0871.jpg

Master Bathroom—the shower and potty area was in the other part:
IMG_0872.jpg

Checking out the Marsh View:
IMG_0875.jpg

Ok, see the packages on the dining table?? This was hilarious! When we got into the room, I immediately fell in love with it! We were just off toward the back of the lodge (but separate from the lodge), and we loved the quiet and the privacy. However, when I went to investigate the packages, I found that they had someone else’s names on them and “Congratulations” just married buttons on them. I called the front desk, and the guy started laughing. He said, “Well, this room was supposed to be for a couple who were coming to celebrate someone’s wedding. But they cancelled at the last minute, and you were so nice, so we gave the room to you. It’s considered one of our best.” :rofl:

He assured me that they would come and get the stuff out of the room, just so it could be given back to whoever put it there.

After our room picture taking session, Brian started unloading the car. Now, this is something to file away in your mind. There are 2nd floor rooms, but if you are not in the Main Lodge, there are no elevators. SO, poor Brian hiked up and down the steps unloading the car EIGHT times. Hmmm. . .that might have more to do with me overpacking than with the non-elevator, but we’ll cling to my original assessment. ;)

We finally finished unpacking and checking out the room, and then we realized we were HUNGRY!!! So we set out in search of food at the resort!

Thumbs up for our great room:

IMG_0874.jpg

thanks for the pixiedust: might be needing it :rotfl2:

great view from your deck! rooms look huge! funny about the package!

Is my computer being stupid?? I can't see photos of the room.. I see where they are supposed to be...(spacing)..but no red "x" boxes even...

Love Big D's big boy smile! Love the cheese face but those eyes are BEAUTIFUL!!

thanks for the pixiedust: might be needing it :rotfl2:

great view from your deck! rooms look huge! funny about the package!

A little extra pixie dust never hurts! Yes, the rooms were terrific!

So excited for your review! Can't wait till our June HHI trip!

Yay! Welcome aboard! You will love the resort!!

Is my computer being stupid?? I can't see photos of the room.. I see where they are supposed to be...(spacing)..but no red "x" boxes even...

Love Big D's big boy smile! Love the cheese face but those eyes are BEAUTIFUL!!

So glad you could finally see the pics! Awww, thanks for the compliments on D! He is definitely a mess! ;)

Ok, y'all, next update below!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter