Don't bring ammunition to Turks & Caicos

Wouldn't US security have noticed bullets in carryon screening?
Nope. My DH is in law enforcement and a few years ago we took a backpack to Disney that he had used for work as a carryon. When I was unpacking the bag at the resort, I found a Ziploc bag filled with ammunition in the bottom of the backpack. It hadn't caused any alerts as we went through TSA. I put them into our checked bag for going home because I didn't want to risk it.

They're a relatively gun-free country and want to keep it that way. They have no idea if he was bringing it in to sell to somebody, or as part of some other operation. Him telling them that it was a mistake could be a lie for all they know. The rules are the rules, and they're there for a reason. They are a deterrent and a blanket policy like that works. If you're a bad guy, are you gonna risk it when even the "good guys" go to jail? I feel bad that he'll miss his kids growing up, but you have to take responsibility for your actions and know the rules where you're going.

Like when Brittany Griner went to jail in Russia. Yes, I'm sure they treated her worse because she was a famous American, but the fact is she still brought weed into a country that prohibits that. She made it easy for them to put her in jail. Had she not had the weed, she'd probably have been fine.

They're a relatively gun-free country and want to keep it that way. They have no idea if he was bringing it in to sell to somebody, or as part of some other operation. Him telling them that it was a mistake could be a lie for all they know. The rules are the rules, and they're there for a reason. They are a deterrent and a blanket policy like that works. If you're a bad guy, are you gonna risk it when even the "good guys" go to jail? I feel bad that he'll miss his kids growing up, but you have to take responsibility for your actions and know the rules where you're going.

Like when Brittany Griner went to jail in Russia. Yes, I'm sure they treated her worse because she was a famous American, but the fact is she still brought weed into a country that prohibits that. She made it easy for them to put her in jail. Had she not had the weed, she'd probably have been fine.
Regarding the bolded, I get it, but they caught him as he was leaving. If it was something he was trying to sell and didn't, or use for some other reason and didn't, why wouldn't he have thrown them in the ocean?

I'm not excusing him, and he should suffer whatever consequences are on the books. But I do think 12 years is extreme for having ammunition in a piece of luggage. A fine? A year or two in jail? Yea, I can get that. 12 years seems like a lot to me.

Yeah, it's harsh, but their country, their rules. There are plenty of places with weirder, longer, and death penalty sentences for all manner of crimes that we consider "minor." If you travel, you have to deal with their rules. As for why he didn't toss it in the ocean, he's probably not that bright. Figured he got it in the country, he could get it out okay. If he even knew it was there. But a little research before the trip would have revealed that he needed to fully check his bag (and then check it again) to avoid this. In September 2023, the State Department issued a warning:

SEPTEMBER 22, 2023 Firearms, ammunition, and other weapons are not permitted in the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI). TCI authorities strictly enforce all firearms related laws. The penalty for traveling to TCI with a firearm, ammunition, or other weapon is a minimum custodial sentence of twelve (12) years.

We wish to remind all travelers that declaring a weapon in your luggage with an airline carrier does not grant permission to bring the weapon into TCI and will result in your arrest.

We strongly encourage you to carefully check your luggage for stray ammunition or forgotten weapons before departing for TCI. If you bring a firearm or ammunition into TCI, we will not be able to secure your release from custody. You are subject to TCI laws and must follow local law enforcement procedures.

Before traveling to TCI, please review the updated TCI Travel.State.Gov page to learn more about restrictions on traveling with firearms.

If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately.

It is a bit harsh, though it sounds like he probably won't do the full 12 years anyway. I think they want to send a message, which I totally understand. People need to stop being so careless about such things!

Last edited:
Good! jail them for stupidy and arrogance to assume other countries have crazy gun laws like we do... I think so many Americans have guns/ammo in their head a a normality.. Well reality check people! It's only the US that is like that... other countries view guns as deadly weapons and not a god given right to own or carry ammo like a bag of snacks in their bags

It's like doing to Thailand and assuming my legal edidables are ok to bring in.

Why would a person be packing ammo anyways? there is only one reason to be packing ammo and maybe this is why this country had those laws.

Last edited:
Regarding the bolded, I get it, but they caught him as he was leaving. If it was something he was trying to sell and didn't, or use for some other reason and didn't, why wouldn't he have thrown them in the ocean?

I'm not excusing him, and he should suffer whatever consequences are on the books. But I do think 12 years is extreme for having ammunition in a piece of luggage. A fine? A year or two in jail? Yea, I can get that. 12 years seems like a lot to me.
think that is harse try a drug sentence in Thailand or Indonesia or the Phillipines

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter