Dolphin Resort assault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tseitel

DIS Veteran
My news feed just posted an article from Fox News that a woman was sexually assaulted outside of the Dolphin resort. She evidently followed him outside after last call after he claimed to have more alcohol on him. Part was caught on security cameras

I first though this was something a dolphin at sea world did.

Sad it happened but it probably happens more than we all know it's just not reported to the news.

She evidently followed him outside after last call after he claimed to have more alcohol on him.
Personally, I don’t think this is a smart move no matter where you are. Don’t go anywhere with a stranger, alone, especially if you have anything like alcohol in your system that can affect your judgment. The best person to look out for your safety is you. Crime doesn’t take a vacation and there is always someone waiting to take advantage of a distracted or vulnerable person.

I was sad reading the story, while at the same time glad it wasn’t worse (too many deaths and disappearances in Florida).

Swolphin has more than 2,600 rooms ( people forget how large it is) it is also a major convention hotel. So it is not uncommon for it to be filled with intoxicated guys on business trips. Not a great combo to be going back to a stranger's room.

I am not victim blaming. That should not happen to anybody anywhere. It was pretty stupid on her part though. Drinking alone is not a good idea if you are going to put yourself in a position to lose judgment. I have no idea what happened to her that led her to a bar alone. I hate she had the learn this way. I am so sorry that happened to her. I am glad he did not kill her, but at the same time I hate that she has to live with this horrible memory. I hope she gets the support she needs. I truly hope Gomez is locked away and the key is lost. He is nasty criminal. Period.

I'm sure I'll get flamed, but it sounds like she made a poor choice to follow a guy for more alcohol after last call. His actions are inappropriate and should be held accountable. Assault is never acceptable.

Did they figure out who it was to arrest him?

It’s easy to victim blame and hindsight is always 20/20.

At age 50 I know way more than I did at age 16-25 and back then made many a stupid choices— and was lucky not to have ended up traumatized as she will be going forward.

We have no idea who this victim is, her age, her experience in life, her circumstances. I hope she will somehow receive justice.

So much victim blaming on this thread. It doesn't matter at all what she was doing and how inebriated she was. The only person responsible for the assault is the rapist. I'm so disappointed in some of you...
Very true, but it usually isn't suggested to walk down the street on the bad side of town the middle of the night wearing flashy jewelry and holding up hoards of cash. At some point you need to be careful not to put yourself in the position of being taken advantage of and becoming the victim of a crime. There will always be dirtbags out there, everyone needs to do their best to avoid them. The dirtbags also need to be held accountable.

I am just seeing a different side. So many people are divorced and at a loss about how to meet others. Instead of being after alcohol she could have thought he was cute and nice and it would be safe in the bubble. I ride my ecv after dark from parks to dolphin and always thought I was safe. It is common to use internet dating sites.

!

Just throwing it out there that when you talk about the things the victim could have done differently, you are (in fact) victim blaming. Regardless of how you frame it.
No you are not.

If someone walks to the edge of a cliff to take a selfie and falls to their death, explaining that you shouldn't do that is not 'victim blaming', it's simply describing what happened, and helps society as a whole to know what activities to avoid.

Same as if you are inebriated and follow a stranger outside a bar. Male or Female. This is a risky behavior. It is not victim blaming. It is simply stating a risky behavior.

A growing number of crimes are where women flirt with men at a bar, both go back to his place, then the female slips drugs into the male's drink so he goes into a zombie state. He then unknowingly helps the female take drain money from his accounts. The male is the victim here. Do we explain what the male could have done differently, or is that wrong?

Explaining risky behaviors and why not to do them is very helpful and useful.

No you are not.

If someone walks to the edge of a cliff to take a selfie and falls to their death, explaining that you shouldn't do that is not 'victim blaming', it's simply describing what happened, and helps society as a whole to know what activities to avoid.

Same as if you are inebriated and follow a stranger outside a bar. Male or Female. This is a risky behavior. It is not victim blaming. It is simply stating a risky behavior.

A growing number of crimes are where women flirt with men at a bar, both go back to his place, then the female slips drugs into the male's drink so he goes into a zombie state. He then unknowingly helps the female take drain money from his accounts. The male is the victim here. Do we explain what the male could have done differently, or is that wrong?

Explaining risky behaviors and why not to do them is very helpful and useful.
Your cliff analogy would be more accurate if the person taking a selfie was pushed over the edge by someone else. We may agree that they shouldn’t have been on the edge but that’s a separate issue from being pushed over. Someone was clearly in the wrong and it wasn’t the person taking a selfie.

Worried about the comment about too many disappearances in Florida… That’s even scarier to hear and not always reported.

Your cliff analogy would be more accurate if the person taking a selfie was pushed over the edge by someone else. We may agree that they shouldn’t have been on the edge but that’s a separate issue from being pushed over. Someone was clearly in the wrong and it wasn’t the person taking a selfie.

I was just going to say the same thing :). It's "fascinating* to me that this was even laid out as a comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter