Does anyone have experience with a mother-daughter book club?

bsnyder

DIS Veteran
I've been trying to come up with an activity to organize and be involved with for my 9 year old DD. I'm no longer working in "corporate America" and one of my goals when I made the decision to switch jobs was to use some of my new flexibility to organize an activity with my DD and her classmates.

Her 3rd grade class did not have anyone volunteer this year to be the Girl Scout leader, so they didn't have a troop for the first time this year. I thought briefly about volunteering to be the leader in the fall. But I really don't think I'd be cut out for that. Not a slam against the Girl Scouts, they're a wonderful organization! I just know myself and I'm afraid I'd really hate all the red tape, and rules and regulations that you have to follow.

So, I was thinking about starting a mother-daughter book club. The girls are now getting to an age where they can read some books that are a little more in-depth. I've always been an avid reader, so it's also something I'm naturally interested in.

Does anyone have any tips or advice? The biggest thing I'm worried about is the number of girls and moms that would be workable. I really don't want to exclude anyone from her class, but if almost everyone wants to participate, it might be too large a group to be effective.

My 13 DD and I have been in a mother -daughter book club for about 3 years now. The group actually started when the girls where 8 or 9 but we didn't join to my daughter was 10 or so. It has been wonderful. Up until this year we read Newberry award winners or runner up books (Amazon has lists of these books). This year as the girls have gotten a bit older and not as dedicated to book club, we've read books that are more appropriate to teens and pre-teens.

I have loved the group. We met once a month thru 5th grade but went to once every 2 months once the girls entered middle school-more homework and more activities so just not enough time to get a book read once a month that wasn't for school.

We have had as many as 10 girls and as few as 7. We have a rotation we follow and whomever chooses the next book, hosts at their house the next time. We also do food tied into the book and maybe a craft tied to the book. As the girls have gotten older, they enjoy just gabbing (as do the moms).

I must say that I probably am more dedicated to book club than my daughter but that is probably due to me enjoyiing reading more than she does.

Let me know if you need any other info.
enjoy
Elise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter