Does anyone else deal with this?

Once.Upon.A.Time

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Considering this is a Disney board, I figured other people deal with this as well. My husband and I are a married couple in our 30’s and we get the comments of why we chose to go to Disney since “we are not kids”. We never went as child and we both enjoy it for obvious reasons. What is your response if/when you get these comments and what do you say?

Thank you as always!

Hi all,

Considering this is a Disney board, I figured other people deal with this as well. My husband and I are a married couple in our 30’s and we get the comments of why we chose to go to Disney since “we are not kids”. We never went as child and we both enjoy it for obvious reasons. What is your response if/when you get these comments and what do you say?

Thank you as always!
I think a lot of people don't understand that WDW isn't just "rides." When the topic of why we go so frequently comes up, we just explain that we enjoy the numerous options of the property as a resort. There are some definite "not for kids" things to do at WDW--drinking around the world being one, dropping some big bucks on meals, chilling at the resorts which are mostly very comfortable and visually appealing.

I get that from family on my side. We never took vacations growing up. My brother always rolls his eyes and laughs and says he doesn’t know how we can stand that place. I just tell him he is clueless. They never go anywhere on vacation. My sister and her husband don’t take vacations either. I had to practically beg her to go to WDW back in 2019 when my husband wasn’t able to go. She’s not into Disney but I think she had a good time but I doubt she’d ever go again. I think alot of people just think it’s the Magic Kingdom and kiddy rides and have no clue that there’s so much more. Their loss.

Thank you everyone. I don’t get why anyone would care where other people vacation anyway.

I think some people are genuinely curious. Some picture an amusement park geared toward kiddie rides. Some visited themselves but only scratched the surface of what’s on offer because they were overwhelmed. Sometimes they come across with more than a tinge of condescension but I pay that no mind. That’s tied to their own ego/esteem or lack of familiarity.

There’s a never-ending variety of experiences. I can do it nearly carefree and no trip is ever the same. That’s what I tell them in a nutshell. Want examples? I can go on for days 🤣 Still intrigued? Wait till you see the pictures!

Some people truly dont know what there is to do there except Mickey and the Princesses. I was one of them until our daughters came along and we went on our 1st trip. I was the one who was hooked. 15 years later,,finally my wife and I get to go without the kids for the 1st time in April, so looking forward to it.
People who ask, ask for a few reasons. 1 being curious as to what there is besides Mickey. 2 They have been and dont like it,,there are some. 3 They prefer to travel elsewhere and cant understand how some can go back to same location over and over.
I understand each one. We have friends that go to Vegas every year. I have been, but no desire to go back, except to see some shows. Sitting on a beach and drinking the day away, I get bored very easy, but some love it.
We each have different likes,,,ares just happens to be this cult,,,,;lol.

Yeah I get this all the time - more Universal than Disney - but same difference.

In the end I tell them I go to just get away , people watch and enjoy the weather without worrying too much about being ripped off or robbed - other than by Disney of course.

There is no wrong way to travel. I would suggest that if someone wanted to pay for my next trip, then they could plan the itinerary. Otherwise, they don't need to comment.

Our family likes to travel all over, but we still eventually come back to a FL theme park. I have noticed on some travel groups (not Disboards) that there are people who view Disney as inauthentic and plastic.. They can't seem to appreciate that there are different types of trips and experiences to enjoy, and it's important to respect each person's preferences. I ended up leaving those groups because I felt it was pretty rude to give advice on other travel but mock those who cruised or went to Disney.

We discovered our love of Disney when our kids grew up and we decided to go alone. That trip was an eye opener for us!!! We discovered a whole new disney that wasn't kid centric, not that there is anything wrong with it, We took our kids a few times and loved. But, going as an adult you can enjoy things that you can't with the kids. We take our time and explore, or relax, or try new restaurants, try new experiences, the list goes on. We found we loved going with just the 2 of us that we went yearly and sometimes twice a year. The family grew to accept that we loved disney and it was our go to place. Others could not understand what adults found to do in disney. These people we just didn't even try to convince. Everyone likes something different. I personally would not get on a cruise ship - just a personal preference. I would never question others love of cruising. To each their own, but I do definitely understand the OP's post!

Sometimes it comes down to who you are sharing with. Sharing it with people who you know from past behavior probably won't get your vacation desires (regardless of what it is) will likely net the same results as prior sharing so why continue to share with those people. Yeah sometimes it's unavoidable and we know it can be that way at times but enough conversations on the DIS have shown that some people do "shoot themselves in the foot" on this topic.

In general we don't get those kinds of comments but I also approach it from a standpoint of everyone has their own thing. Sister-in-law and her bf tend to do skiing or hiking vacations, another couple we know goes to the Lake as often as possible even if the weather isn't conducive for it (they were just there last weekend), in-laws used to camp with their 5th wheel frequently enough. We've done Disney/Universal multiple times but I'd say the other destination has been Vegas of which we've been numerous times since 2017. Father-in-law and his wife life to do cruises but cruises to the Caribbean and usually shorter 5 day or less but sometimes 7 day ones.

Sometimes it can come down to how you talk about it too to other people. We tend to discuss Vegas like we go for the food and ambience less gambling (though we do a small bit of it). Shows were done earlier on and haven't really done well after the pandemic. We've done things like the Mob Museum, Neon Boneyard, Red Rock Canyon and Hoover Dam in past trips. I think we just tend to be more proactive in discussing our vacation habits.

The one thing I can see from other people's perspective in the very recent years is discussing cost and complexity and I think for some thinking about spending money (and the assumption being it's a good chunk of change) to go to a theme park (from how they view it) with how they've heard/read it takes to go there can automatically conjure up opinions on your destination that have little to do with you yourself.

…without worrying too much about being ripped off or robbed - other than by Disney of course.
Funny but a very important point. WDW is a relatively safe playground.

The differences are becoming really obvious as I’m preparing my family for a trip to Italy. This is the first trip abroad we are taking since the kids have become young adults. They were under our wing at 12 or 15yo but now they need to watch out for themselves if they are to spread their wings. We parents have to do the same. We all need to pay more attention than we would need at WDW.

My own mother has said this, she was like "what again? didn't you guys go there 2 years ago?" Yeah mom we did, and your point is? :laughing:

For people that say "Disney is for kids" or anything along that line, either they have never experienced it or they just don't care for Disney, and that's fine with me. I can say the same thing about all those comic cons that people go EVERY YEAR, aren't comics for kids? you still read them? you aren't kids 😂 By the way, I don't think that at all, just a comparison! If you want to go to every comic con around the country every year and that makes you happy, do it! So just leave me alone with Disney, please :earboy2:

I know someone that, for many years she didn't understand why my hubs and I love going to Disney until, during the pandemic her famly went to Disney World for the first time ever, and her whole world changed! Since 2021, she claimed she loves Disney, became a huge Disney fan and even decorated her classroom (she's a teacher) all Disney theme for the past 2 years. She now wants to go to Disney all the time without her kids LOL! So yeah...my take is, Disney isn't just for kids and if you don't get it after I kindly explain it to you, move on and mind your business, don't really care about your opinion anyway :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter