Do you workout on vacation?

Well I am doing a "relaxing vacation" (as opposed to a Disney vacation) in a couple weeks. Since I have been diligently working out for weight loss I am working on a plan to work out while on vacation (house rental - no gym). In that past I would hit the gym in hotels (even on disney cruise!).
I have the Ifit program so am hoping to at least do 3 days of workouts...

No, but my vacations are typically a workout. We usually do WDW, so between sweating and all the walking I get a better workout than anything I do at home. I've gone to NYC twice and we walked almost everywhere, so I walked on average 7-10 miles a day there. But if we go elsewhere I don't even think about it.

Gyms just opened back up again in Ontario and I'm hoping to get back into a routine. Hopefully this will translate to actually going to the gym while on a cruise.

I took my workout clothes on a cruise. Never used them -- they just took up space in my luggage. Since then, the workout clothes stay home.

OTOH, DD works out on vacation, even at WDW where she knows she'll be walking miles each day.

We were once sort of trapped in our room at Grand Floridian during a 4 hour torrential rainstorm, and had the gym not been a long walk OUTDOORS, I would have worked out during that time. That was one of those times I regretted our resort choice, because we got hungry and didn't feel like waking outside to get to the quick serve place either. 🙃

That’s why I preferred The Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge. Most of the rooms are in the central building instead of being scattered around the grounds.

As for working out during vacation, lifting frozen cocktails to my mouth while lounging by the pool is strenuous enough.

I don't go to the gym but I do walk every morning while on vacation, even Disney vacations. I hear people say there is a lot of walking at Disney, which there is, but most of it's standing or slow walking, not a lot to get the heart rate up. Both active standing and even a slow walk are certainly better for you then sitting, but for me at least, don't give you the benefit of a workout. When I get up and walk in the mornings (used to jog but blew out both knees) I do a fast enough walk to get that heart rate up. I also try to get some yoga or stretching in after my morning walks. I skip the weight training on vacation though. I used to travel with stretching bands or tubes to get the resistance training in but I got too lazy for that. When we go somewhere in our RV, I take our little dog on my hikes with me and end up carrying her in her carrier at least half the walk, she weighs 9 lbs so I figure that's a decent resistance workout on those days.

Yes, I'd call it "different exercise".

It depends on what one does on vacation. I'm not a gym kind of person. I tried it a few times and didn't like it. I prefer more organic exercise such as hiking or bicycling.

So if I'm on vacation at Yosemite going up the Mist Trail - that's my workout.

Yes. I will swim or run. If we're not staying at a beach resort or the hotel pool is too small for laps, I have a band that wraps around a pool ladder and my ankles so I can at least swim in place.

If we are vacationing in a place that we can easily rent road bikes then we will rent bikes for at least one day so I can get a long ride in at least once. My favorite places that we've rented bikes were Boston and the Big Island. We rode from Boston to Concord and back to Boston. On the Big Island I've ridden half of the Ironman World Championship course.

Not usually, but I plan to on my 10 night cruise next year. I just can't go 10 nights on a cruise diet without exercise. That's too long.

I stretch on vacation but generally I found on vacation I get enough activity walking.

I have been committed to exercise for the last 1.5 years. Currently I maintain my same workout. If we are driving somewhere I pack my weights, if not I hit the gym. We are taking a cruise this fall and I already bought bands and printed up a workout schedule since I won't have internet for my normal workout. The previous 44.5 years I wouldn't have dreamed of it!!

I have been committed to exercise for the last 1.5 years. Currently I maintain my same workout. If we are driving somewhere I pack my weights, if not I hit the gym. We are taking a cruise this fall and I already bought bands and printed up a workout schedule since I won't have internet for my normal workout. The previous 44.5 years I wouldn't have dreamed of it!!

Yes. If we are at WDW, then I typically run the Crescent Lake area, although on previous trips I was permitted to go through the Hollywood Studios parking lot to stretch my miles but the last trip security stopped me and would not let me us it. Even at the 6 am hour! But I'll also use the gyms if we are staying at Boardwalk or BC/YC. Only time I ever regretted doing that was when I didn't break in a new pair of running shoes properly and then walked 10+ miles after my run that day. Feet were in pain later.
On other vacations (beach, hotels, camping, etc.) I try to get in a run or bike or some sort of cardio. But I'm that person if I don't work out for a week, I feel like I lose progress I've made in my workouts.

Ummm No..

I'm on vacation... is not that the point of being on vacation... LOL
Although, I do not, I know that when I've gone on vacation and not exercised, that it gets me out of a routine and then I have a hard time getting going again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter